LTH Home

Doctor of Delivery

Doctor of Delivery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Doctor of Delivery

Post #1 - July 13th, 2009, 7:16 pm
    Post #1 - July 13th, 2009, 7:16 pm Post #1 - July 13th, 2009, 7:16 pm
    LTH,

When I was growing up, Grandma hoped that I'd become a doctor, or at least a lawyer. When I dropped biology in college, she was sorely disappointed. When I took the first job I could find out of college instead of enrolling in grad school, she thought all hope had been lost. Grandma, I am am happy to report that your little bubula has finally achieved what you'd always dreamed. I am finally a doctor. A Doctor of Delivery. When it comes to stitching together a fabulous meal out of sometimes sickly patients that arrive at my door, I am as adept as the finest surgeons.

Golden Crust is my go-to pizza delivery place. The pizza is far from great, but it's fine. Fairly good balance of ingredients, decent cracker-like crust, and a bland sauce. Here's what it looks like on arrival:

Golden Crust Pizza on arrival:

Time for a physical exam. Diagnosis: the crust is cracker thin, but not well-done enough to be as crispy as I like it. The cheese has little to no char. The whole thing looks bland.

Crust on arrival:

The Doctor preps his instruments. I cranked up the oven to 500 and preheated a sheet pan inside. Sauteed some fresh fennel and sliced garlic, and got out the red pepper flakes and home-grown peppery arugula.

Surgically enhanced pizza:

Medically-charred crust:

Grandma, I hope you are proud.

How do the rest of you doctor your deliveries?

Kennyz
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #2 - July 13th, 2009, 7:22 pm
    Post #2 - July 13th, 2009, 7:22 pm Post #2 - July 13th, 2009, 7:22 pm
    Our new go-to pizza doctoring (usually applied to the raw cheese pizza I pick up at Dominicks) One-half pepperoni (because Sparky feels the need to have it, even though he usually then eats the "adult" half, which is why I'm willing to do it) and one-half Italian sausage, spinach and mushrooms that have been sauteed together with some garlic. Or bacon and mushrooms sauteed together.

For some reason, I find this easier than making a pizza from scratch.
  • Post #3 - July 16th, 2009, 8:18 am
    Post #3 - July 16th, 2009, 8:18 am Post #3 - July 16th, 2009, 8:18 am
    Kennyz wrote:Grandma, I hope you are proud.

How do the rest of you doctor your deliveries?

Kenny,

I am sure Grandma would be proud, you seem to have restored the 'patient' to perfect health, up until you ate him.

No exactly the same thing, but it strikes me as my take out Chinese doctoring procedure is mildly odd. Finally on the feeling good side of under the weather, but still wanting comfort food, my bride picked up suburban style Chinese/American from Kow Kow last night. And yes, growing up in suburban Milwaukee Chinese/American is comfort food for me.

I often eat take out Chinese out of a bowl, plastic red dragon pattern available at pretty much any Asian grocery, and load it up into a mild mishmash. Last night a layer of rice, layer of crunchy noodle, layer of chicken almond din (hold the corn starch gravy), layer of crispy noodle, layer of split in half lengthwise shrimp egg fu young, gravy on the side, layer of crunchy noodle and one more each of chicken almond din and split egg fu young. All topped by crispy noodles and small container of Kow Kow house made Chinese mustard.

In keeping with the theme of the post, I often add home made chili oil, sriracha, hosin, and once when they forgot the sweet and sour sauce for egg rolls topped same with a couple of teaspoons of grape jelly.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Kow Kow
    6755 N Cicero Ave
    Lincolnwood, IL
    847-677-7717
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team