LTH Home

What's Up with Zagat in Chicago?

What's Up with Zagat in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 28th, 2009, 11:27 am
    Post #61 - January 28th, 2009, 11:27 am Post #61 - January 28th, 2009, 11:27 am
    I know the op hasn't posted his negative comments on Chicago food in a while, not here nor on his muck-raking blog but I thought I would weigh in on his original question.

Nobody uses Zagat in Chicago. Chicago is a word-of-mouth kind of place that doesn't often succumb to the theatrical presentation of a restaurant but, instead, applauds the actual food the kitchen delivers. This is why I think LTH exists. Chicagoans like to express their opinion of who has the best this or that as well as give you a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that they feel is better than "anything downtown."

Chicago is not NYC, nor does it strive to be. Sure, there are some corporate backed restaurants in the loop that follow the NYC model of what makes a restaurant, aka: style over substance but a true Chicagoan isn't easily fooled. I'm always amused about the NYC'ers negative comments on this board or the general national media about food in Chicago, as though our city and its restaurant goers actually seek the same thing that NYC offers.

I can actually say similar things about NYC and it's food. The places I've been taken to there, by NYC locals, have looked really nice, have given off an air of sophistication (a NYC favorite term when speaking of restaurants), but the food always seems to disappoint at its respective price point ($80-100 per couple range). NYC seems to have wonderful, high-end restaurants but lacks the 2nd tier places that are most frequented here in Chgo. All in all, NYC stands as wonderful in its own right and I would not dare compare it to Paris or Tokyo or even Hong Kong, risking NYC supporter's defensive comebacks, unmasking their own "inferiority complex."

What you may find is that Chicago is a bit grittier (less sophisticated as you may) but truer in its food quest. Our ethnic places may not be much to look at but the food can be outstanding. A city of our size also has its fair share of high-end dining, holding its own on an international level but please, let's drop the comparisons.
  • Post #62 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #62 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:29 am Post #62 - February 2nd, 2009, 10:29 am
    OK, Tyrus. I'll bite. As a born-and-raised NYer who loves Chicago food, and would never consider moving back to NY, let me say that your description of NYC dining is almost comically wrong.

NYC seems to have wonderful, high-end restaurants but lacks the 2nd tier places that are most frequented here in Chgo.
    Katz' deli. Russ & Daughters. H&H bagels. A dozen Jamaican restaurants in Queens. Fabulous hole-in-the-wall spots in Chinatown. None of these places are high-end, and all would be tremendous additions to the Chicago food scene.

The places I've been taken to there, by NYC locals, have looked really nice, have given off an air of sophistication (a NYC favorite term when speaking of restaurants), but the food always seems to disappoint
    Find new friends before your next trip.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #63 - February 2nd, 2009, 1:33 pm
    Post #63 - February 2nd, 2009, 1:33 pm Post #63 - February 2nd, 2009, 1:33 pm
    Kennyz wrote:OK, Tyrus. I'll bite. As a born-and-raised NYer who loves Chicago food, and would never consider moving back to NY, let me say that your description of NYC dining is almost comically wrong.

NYC seems to have wonderful, high-end restaurants but lacks the 2nd tier places that are most frequented here in Chgo.
    Katz' deli. Russ & Daughters. H&H bagels. A dozen Jamaican restaurants in Queens. Fabulous hole-in-the-wall spots in Chinatown. None of these places are high-end, and all would be tremendous additions to the Chicago food scene.

The places I've been taken to there, by NYC locals, have looked really nice, have given off an air of sophistication (a NYC favorite term when speaking of restaurants), but the food always seems to disappoint
    Find new friends before your next trip.

KennyZ - I would never assume that NYC is anything but the culinary center of the universe. If anyone would think otherwise, all they would have to do is ask a NYer. Chicago, being a third of the size, couldn't compare favorable with what NYC offers, so the comparisons should really end.

My point about my limited experiences in NYC was to show that I too, could have a limited (and flawed) view of a city's culinary offerings. This guy has been posting negative comments about Chicago's dining scene while knowing very little about it and sampling restaurants that aren't considered by many in the LTH community as worthwhile. It's as easy to say NY lacks great 2nd tier places as it is to say that Chicago can't cook. It's easy to say anything when you don't know what you're talking about and admittedly, I'm not familiar with the NYC dining scene.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers but it wasn't a slight against NYC, it was more about proving a point - which obviously wasn't as clear as it was intended.

BTW, I like my friends and won't be needing any more. Thanks.
  • Post #64 - April 21st, 2009, 4:32 pm
    Post #64 - April 21st, 2009, 4:32 pm Post #64 - April 21st, 2009, 4:32 pm
    Problem with LTH is that it is influenced my a minority that seems to think they have the insider info in what is good to eat in Chicago and are somewhat biased in their opinions if it doesn't fit into their image of, well, whatever.
    There are tons of good places to eat in Chicago, including any chains that one actually might deny that they ever go to.
    Besides that LTH can be dependable if you sort through the trivial obsession with food.
  • Post #65 - April 21st, 2009, 6:28 pm
    Post #65 - April 21st, 2009, 6:28 pm Post #65 - April 21st, 2009, 6:28 pm
    foodmex wrote:Problem with LTH is that it is influenced my a minority that seems to think they have the insider info in what is good to eat in Chicago and are somewhat biased in their opinions if it doesn't fit into their image of, well, whatever.
    There are tons of good places to eat in Chicago, including any chains that one actually might deny that they ever go to.
    Besides that LTH can be dependable if you sort through the trivial obsession with food.

We could not agree more, Mr. Foodmex. The nerve of this site, is unnerving. There are many 28s out there that these people will never enjoy in their Midwestern closemindedness.

Nina
  • Post #66 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am
    Post #66 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am Post #66 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am
    Nina NYC wrote:
    foodmex wrote:Problem with LTH is that it is influenced my a minority that seems to think they have the insider info in what is good to eat in Chicago and are somewhat biased in their opinions if it doesn't fit into their image of, well, whatever.

We could not agree more, Mr. Foodmex. The nerve of this site, is unnerving. There are many 28s out there that these people will never enjoy in their Midwestern closemindedness.

Nina

Nina, while I agree that occasionally LTH can suffer from a bit of bandwagon jumping, I disagree rather strongly. and even take a bit of offense with parts of your post.

I would hardly call discussion of food, on a food based web site, to be filled with "trivial obsession with food". DUCY?

While you think members here have "Midwestern closemindedness" your statements reek of a New York arrogance and superiority complex.

While you have some insight into the restaurant world that may be valuable, and even welcome in our community, please don't come here to troll.
    Last edited by JLenart on April 22nd, 2009, 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Check out my Blog. http://lessercuts.blogspot.com/
    Newest blog: You paid how much?
  • Post #67 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am
    Post #67 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am Post #67 - April 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am
    Oh, that Nina. Always up to no good!
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #68 - April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am
    Post #68 - April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am Post #68 - April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 am

This is a place that is intended for people to express their opinions about food. Your criticisms confirm that we are defiinitely "on mission."

Carry on,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #69 - April 22nd, 2009, 5:04 pm
    Post #69 - April 22nd, 2009, 5:04 pm Post #69 - April 22nd, 2009, 5:04 pm
    I am simply reminding that a good forum like this doesn't become a cozy club where only the like minded are welcomed, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of being an open forum about a topic that actually is very simple in nature, food, and nothing more than food. I am sorry to offend once again.
  • Post #70 - April 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm
    Post #70 - April 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm Post #70 - April 22nd, 2009, 6:03 pm
    foodmex wrote:I am simply reminding that a good forum like this doesn't become a cozy club where only the like minded are welcomed, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of being an open forum about a topic that actually is very simple in nature, food, and nothing more than food. I am sorry to offend once again.

You're not offending at all. And I hope I'm not becoming too cozy by saying that I agree with you -- it's the diversity of opinion that makes this place as meaningful and special as it is. If we all felt the same way about places, what would be the point of discussing them? As for the obsession, I think that's the immutable nature of a single-subject message forum, regardless of its focus.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #71 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:02 pm
    Post #71 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:02 pm Post #71 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:02 pm

I have found that, for each stereotypical "food snob" on LTHForum, there are a couple of folks who just honest-to-God love food, be it high brow or low rent, local or chain. Check out some of these recent threads where huge chains have been given a pretty fair shake:
    Red Lobster
    IHOP
    Fish sandwiches (including some positive reviews of the fish sandwiches at McDonald's, Culver's, Wendy's, etc.)

Personally, I feel that both the "food snobs" and the all-around food lovers have their place in making valuable contributions to this site. With the "food snobs", when you see a positive review you can be pretty damn confident that the place will be good. With the all-around food lovers, you can benefit from their discoveries of good food in unlikely places.

As for the "trivial obsession with food", well I should certainly hope so, what with this being a food forum and all :)
  • Post #72 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm
    Post #72 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm Post #72 - April 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm
    foodmex wrote:LTH can be dependable if you sort through the trivial obsession with food.

On first reading, I took this as an ironic and very amusing statement. Regardless of its author's intent, I'd enjoy seeing it as a Forum tagline sometime soon.
  • Post #73 - April 23rd, 2009, 6:21 am
    Post #73 - April 23rd, 2009, 6:21 am Post #73 - April 23rd, 2009, 6:21 am
    This thread makes me smile for so many reasons.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more