LTH Home

Where should I move to?

Where should I move to?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where should I move to?

Post #1 - April 1st, 2009, 12:35 pm
    Post #1 - April 1st, 2009, 12:35 pm Post #1 - April 1st, 2009, 12:35 pm
    Sorry to post this here - but since grocery shopping is a big concern for this decision - I figured it was a fairly reasonable place.

I need to find an apartment somewhere. I sure hope grocery shopping will be good. Maybe I can start finding culantro?

I have to be able to get to Northbrook ok - Waukegan and Willow Rd. I work for Whole Foods, could presumably transfer to another store, but right now I work in Northbrook. I don't want to move too close to work as I'd like to be able to go to various Chicago stores without a problem commute, and Northbrook is too expensive an area.

So where should a foodie, that's been stuck in the suburbs for a long time, go? It's gotta be on the cheap side, it's gotta allow cats, it's gotta have parking as I have that work commute.

Nancy
  • Post #2 - April 1st, 2009, 1:39 pm
    Post #2 - April 1st, 2009, 1:39 pm Post #2 - April 1st, 2009, 1:39 pm
    Check out this on moving for the food.
  • Post #3 - April 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm
    Post #3 - April 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm Post #3 - April 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm
    Try Albany Park.

Has Brown Line access for quick jaunts to Lakeview/Wrigley, Near North and the Loop (without the hassle of parking, etc.).

Walking or quick car trip to Korean & Middle Eastern restaurants/grocers.

Easy drive to Uptown/Andersonville.

Close to 90/94.

Still somewhat affordable.
  • Post #4 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:41 pm
    Post #4 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:41 pm Post #4 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:41 pm
    Here's the thread that helped cement my/our decision to move to Lincoln Square/Albany Park.
    Writing about craft beer at GuysDrinkingBeer.com
    "You don't realize it, but we're at dinner right now." ~Ebert
  • Post #5 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:59 pm
    Post #5 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:59 pm Post #5 - April 2nd, 2009, 12:59 pm
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into Albany Park or nearby. I just hope traffic isn't too bad heading north on 94 - it would seem to be my only concern.

And then, hopefully I can be happy living in the city. I haven't done that since I was two and a half years old. But, lately, I'm:

Dating - horrible in the suburbs
    Not finding groceries I want - I know where to get them, just too long a drive
    Interested in going to Neo for industrial music more often, but oh the drive.

Maybe it's time to see what I think of city life, and maybe I can finally meet some of you people. I've kind of ignored it because of location too.

Nancy
  • Post #6 - April 3rd, 2009, 8:05 am
    Post #6 - April 3rd, 2009, 8:05 am Post #6 - April 3rd, 2009, 8:05 am
    Traffic is always bad at rush hour(s). You do have the option of going somewhat local (Peterson to Caldwell to Waukegan). May not be any faster, but somewhat less frustrating.
  • Post #7 - April 3rd, 2009, 2:18 pm
    Post #7 - April 3rd, 2009, 2:18 pm Post #7 - April 3rd, 2009, 2:18 pm
    "Will move for food" --probably should be one of LTH's mottos! :)

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more