LTH Home

Best Carne Asada Taco besides La Pasadita?

Best Carne Asada Taco besides La Pasadita?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 6
  • Post #121 - January 19th, 2009, 7:17 am
    Post #121 - January 19th, 2009, 7:17 am Post #121 - January 19th, 2009, 7:17 am
    titus wong wrote:Since we're on the topic of Tio Luis, does anyone know of any good places to procure beer nearby?

I can't think of anything within a block or two. There was Cappas Liquors on Western (just north of Archer) but I believe they went out of business. Probably the closest is Supermercado El Güero at Archer & California. I'm pretty sure they sell beer. There's also a Jewel on Archer a bit east of Western. You're sure Tio Luis is BYO, right?

Don't forget you won't be far from Los Gallos (4252 S Archer, about a block northeast of Kedzie) for one of the better bowls of carne en su jugo in the city. That and carne apache (essentially carne en su jugo without the jugo) are the reasons to visit. No beer but not sure about BYO.
  • Post #122 - January 19th, 2009, 7:35 am
    Post #122 - January 19th, 2009, 7:35 am Post #122 - January 19th, 2009, 7:35 am
    Rene G wrote:
    titus wong wrote:Since we're on the topic of Tio Luis, does anyone know of any good places to procure beer nearby?

I can't think of anything within a block or two. There was Cappas Liquors on Western (just north of Archer) but I believe they went out of business. Probably the closest is Supermercado El Güero at Archer & California. I'm pretty sure they sell beer. There's also a Jewel on Archer a bit east of Western. You're sure Tio Luis is BYO, right?...No beer but not sure about BYO.

Rene: This is the 2nd time you've stepped up and helped me out, in a timely fashion mind you, as I will be leaving in the next 10 min. to run, and then to assauge my post-workout hunger with a boatload of tacos. I'll swing by El Güero and let you know whether they do carry beer. My alternative was to pick up a tallboy downtown and stash it in my bag. As for their BYO policy, I only spied one mention of the same in a one-paragraph user review on another board, and so, I thought this would be a good opportunity to test the waters (ahem) so to speak, and make it official on LTH.

I would love to sample the carne su jugo at Los Gallos particularly during weather like this, but doubt my stomach will be able to accomodate the extra ballast. There will however, be a few more visits to that neighborhood in my future, if all goes well today at Tio Luis.

Thanks again for the intel!
  • Post #123 - February 3rd, 2009, 1:38 am
    Post #123 - February 3rd, 2009, 1:38 am Post #123 - February 3rd, 2009, 1:38 am
    Ate lunch at Zacatacos on Harlem today. Very impressed. Meat on par with La Pasadita. Tortillas are better. Onions and cilantro, well same. I like cheese on my steak tacos. Cheese not as good. 15-20% bigger than La Pa. I'm happy. Plus I had a Jamica instead of coke. About 30 minutes closer to my house, as well. Think I'm biased?
  • Post #124 - February 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am
    Post #124 - February 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am Post #124 - February 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am
    Alright,

The name escapes me but there is a mexican grocery store on the corner of Belmont and California. Go into the store and walk to the lunch counter.

Order as many or few carne asada tacos as you think you can handle and a real sugar soda. Don't forget to ask for limes and salsa if it isn't on the counter. This is hands down teh best steak taco I have had in Chicago and if someone can top it please let me know.

Good Eating!
  • Post #125 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:06 am
    Post #125 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:06 am Post #125 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:06 am
    Bourbon wrote:Alright,

The name escapes me but there is a mexican grocery store on the corner of Belmont and California. Go into the store and walk to the lunch counter.

Order as many or few carne asada tacos as you think you can handle and a real sugar soda. Don't forget to ask for limes and salsa if it isn't on the counter. This is hands down teh best steak taco I have had in Chicago and if someone can top it please let me know.

Good Eating!
    That would be Guanajuato #3, discussed earlier in this thread. While some disagree, I'm a big fan of their carne asada burrito.

Ronna
  • Post #126 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:09 am
    Post #126 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:09 am Post #126 - February 3rd, 2009, 10:09 am
    Bourbon wrote:The name escapes me but there is a mexican grocery store on the corner of Belmont and California. Go into the store and walk to the lunch counter.

Carnicerias Guanajuanto is the name and I agree a terrific in-store taqueria. Good all around Mexican grocery including produce, butcher, carniceria, large selection of dry goods and even booze.

Taqueria Traspasada is right next door, solid taqueria with goat featured on the weekends.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Carnicerias Guanajuanto
    3140 N California
    Chicago, IL. 60618
    773-267-7739

Taqueria Traspasada
    3144 N California
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-539-4533
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #127 - February 23rd, 2009, 7:04 pm
    Post #127 - February 23rd, 2009, 7:04 pm Post #127 - February 23rd, 2009, 7:04 pm
    So this thread has sent me out trying various taco stands out of my regular rotation (and I'll throw in one that hasn't come up, a pretty decent place called Taqueria Toro Grill, which my kids like because they can sit at a diner counter and the guys interact with them). A lot of them like Las Asadas last week, pretty good, but not oh my god good.

Today my friend Wyatt suggested one at Grand and Sacramento. I couldn't think of anything anywhere near Grand and Sacramento, although I should have realized we were just down the street from Feed, and thus not on the far side of the moon as it initially sounded. Anyway, the place was a mystery to me, even though I've driven up Grand scoping that street out recently, but the name seemed vaguely familiar, Taco El Jaliciense, so I figured it must be in this thread somewhere, as it is.

But damn, its praises need to be sung a lot higher than they have been! It made every taco I've had lately anywhere else-- including some at a Pasadita outpost-- seem dry and dull by comparison. The steak was bright and meaty, the pastor moist and with charred bits (I can't tell if they have a cone or not, but either way, it comes out looking and tasting like they have one), the chorizo juicy, the tacos steamy hot, the onion and cilantro and lime piquant, the place has character (a tiny old 1920s tile-walled building manned by humorously 'tuded staff), on a cold day this was the warming, filling treat that tacos should be and too often aren't. The heck with indolent, uncaring taco joints that are good enough. I have found a new favorite.

Taco El Jaliciense
    2859 W Chicago Ave
    773-235-2859

Taqueria Toro Grill
    3561 W Armitage Ave
    773-486-8229
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #128 - February 24th, 2009, 10:52 am
    Post #128 - February 24th, 2009, 10:52 am Post #128 - February 24th, 2009, 10:52 am
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/116698

Looking into the mists of history, we see that the lonely taco stand that is a foil to Boston's was among us from the start. Jaliscience was soon sampled and declared very good. ErikM, an early fan, even moved to LA to be surrounded by similar stands on similar corners of similarly named streets....

The original poster named Boston's, so I know he's willing to go into humble places for good food. The new Jaliscene [sic] taqueria opposite Boston's in the little triangle formed by Grand and Chicago looks very cool. I haven't tried, but it looks like a taco stand from a Sergio Leone movie, if that makes any sense.

Permalink | Reply
    JeffB Sep 21, 2004 11:17AM

PS, Mike, looking for this old post I couldn't shake the image of you painting the taco stand and Boston's red. That triangle is magnificently austere with the Metra yard and the lower reaches of the park making space, not to mention the general decay that has long prevailed (but is being undone) in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by JeffB on February 24th, 2009, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #129 - February 24th, 2009, 11:00 am
    Post #129 - February 24th, 2009, 11:00 am Post #129 - February 24th, 2009, 11:00 am
    Better late than never, I guess. Anyway, certainly better stuff than any I've had lately at any number of places mentioned above, or elsewhere, in recent times. And a total package winner between piping hot food on a cold day, the great little hobbit-sized vintage building, and the animated staff (that, at least, has probably changed since '04, though you never know).
  • Post #130 - February 24th, 2009, 11:03 am
    Post #130 - February 24th, 2009, 11:03 am Post #130 - February 24th, 2009, 11:03 am
    Animated staff is definitely different.
  • Post #131 - February 24th, 2009, 3:52 pm
    Post #131 - February 24th, 2009, 3:52 pm Post #131 - February 24th, 2009, 3:52 pm
    Cel or CGI?
  • Post #132 - February 24th, 2009, 4:02 pm
    Post #132 - February 24th, 2009, 4:02 pm Post #132 - February 24th, 2009, 4:02 pm
    The Miracle of Dynamation!
  • Post #133 - February 24th, 2009, 9:32 pm
    Post #133 - February 24th, 2009, 9:32 pm Post #133 - February 24th, 2009, 9:32 pm
    JeffB wrote:PS, Mike, looking for this old post I couldn't shake the image of you painting the taco stand and Boston's red. That triangle is magnificently austere with the Metra yard and the lower reaches of the park making space, not to mention the general decay that has long prevailed (but is being undone) in the neighborhood.

I've driven by that corner a zillion times and always thought that that Boston place was closed. Is it open? Any good if so?
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #134 - February 25th, 2009, 9:30 am
    Post #134 - February 25th, 2009, 9:30 am Post #134 - February 25th, 2009, 9:30 am
    Cogito wrote:
    JeffB wrote:PS, Mike, looking for this old post I couldn't shake the image of you painting the taco stand and Boston's red. That triangle is magnificently austere with the Metra yard and the lower reaches of the park making space, not to mention the general decay that has long prevailed (but is being undone) in the neighborhood.

I've driven by that corner a zillion times and always thought that that Boston place was closed. Is it open? Any good if so?

Well, there's quite a history of discussion and cautious praise going back to the frst Beef-a-thon, I believe. Well-regarded stand just a notch below the cream (Johnnie's/Al's/Chickies). Spero, heir to the Boston's BBQ legacy even dropped in on a thread to give some details (started as a bar in the 1940's in the same spot . . . ). Search and you will find. The search might have to involve CHOW, as most discussion was pre-LTH. Some of the best beef stands look like abandoned buildings. I have no reason to think Boston's has closed, though I have not stopped by in a while.
  • Post #135 - February 25th, 2009, 9:38 am
    Post #135 - February 25th, 2009, 9:38 am Post #135 - February 25th, 2009, 9:38 am
    I realized why I've never noticed Tacos El Jaliciense driving northwest on Grand, by the way. Because it's virtually invisible going that way. And I never seem to come back that way on Grand.

I have a vague memory of a post suggesting Boston's had completely changed, maybe not even a beef stand anymore, but I don't see that, so maybe I imagined it. I guess there's one way to find out...
  • Post #136 - February 25th, 2009, 10:10 am
    Post #136 - February 25th, 2009, 10:10 am Post #136 - February 25th, 2009, 10:10 am
    Boston's is still pumping out a good, tier-2 beef. I was there not too long ago. Good people/service too. Next time I'll have to grab a taco at Jaliciense on the side.
  • Post #137 - February 25th, 2009, 12:42 pm
    Post #137 - February 25th, 2009, 12:42 pm Post #137 - February 25th, 2009, 12:42 pm
    Hi there- After reading about all these great taco places, after wanting to try an authentic mexican taco for many a year, and having the day off today, I took the short drive from Evanston down to Montrose and Taqueria El Asadero.

You wouldn't know it by looking at the place, but what awaits the palate within those walls, was a truly exemplary experience.

3 steak tacos, onions, cilantro and lime. And all is good with the world. Steak perfectly cooked and seasoned, a wonderful green hot sauce. YESSSS!

Thanks all for the recommendations.

TC
  • Post #138 - March 1st, 2009, 1:37 pm
    Post #138 - March 1st, 2009, 1:37 pm Post #138 - March 1st, 2009, 1:37 pm
    Grabbed takeout yesterday from the Los Comales at 2148 N. Milwaukee. RAB and I shared carne asada and pastor burritos. Both pretty poor and far worse than our one meal at the Los Comales on 18th St. in Pilsen. Carne Asada not nearly as good as La Pasadita, Guanajuato, Asadas, etc. Even though Los Comales is close to home, we won't be returning.

We'd passed on the newish Caliente Grill (on Damen north of Armitage) after grabbing their menu. When you're doing takeout, $9 is just too much for a burrito. We weren't able to find anything on LTH to suggest that Caliente Grill might be a decent value. A handful of positive Yelp reviews weren't enough for us to take the plunge. Anyone tried Caliente Grill, yet?

Ronna
  • Post #139 - March 1st, 2009, 6:57 pm
    Post #139 - March 1st, 2009, 6:57 pm Post #139 - March 1st, 2009, 6:57 pm
    TCouch wrote:Hi there- After reading about all these great taco places, after wanting to try an authentic mexican taco for many a year, and having the day off today, I took the short drive from Evanston down to Montrose and Taqueria El Asadero.
    You wouldn't know it by looking at the place, but what awaits the palate within those walls, was a truly exemplary experience.
    3 steak tacos, onions, cilantro and lime. And all is good with the world. Steak perfectly cooked and seasoned, a wonderful green hot sauce. YESSSS!
    Thanks all for the recommendations.
    TC

You have discovered the wonder that is El Asadero. Mrs. Trpt (who is Mexican) swears by the barbacoa, though when they're out she'll happily go for carne asada or al pastor. Me, carne asada all the way. The green sauce is exemplary, and their homemade chips are out of this world. You can get Mexican Coke and Sidral, too. It's possible to stuff two people on about $12 there. Very friendly family running it too, they're from DF.
    trpt2345
  • Post #140 - March 1st, 2009, 10:10 pm
    Post #140 - March 1st, 2009, 10:10 pm Post #140 - March 1st, 2009, 10:10 pm
    REB wrote:We'd passed on the newish Caliente Grill (on Damen north of Armitage) after grabbing their menu. When you're doing takeout, $9 is just too much for a burrito.

$9 for a burrito? ! ?

I've not had a burrito in a decade or more, I find the meat to tortilla ratio out of balance. At those prices it's going to be another decade or more until my next.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #141 - March 2nd, 2009, 7:35 am
    Post #141 - March 2nd, 2009, 7:35 am Post #141 - March 2nd, 2009, 7:35 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    REB wrote:We'd passed on the newish Caliente Grill (on Damen north of Armitage) after grabbing their menu. When you're doing takeout, $9 is just too much for a burrito.

$9 for a burrito? ! ?

I've not had a burrito in a decade or more, I find the meat to tortilla ratio out of balance. At those prices it's going to be another decade or more until my next.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Pretty much everything was in that price range. MENU

If the food's wonderful, sure. But we weren't in the mood for anything more than hole-in-the-wall Mexican.

Ronna
  • Post #142 - March 2nd, 2009, 11:35 am
    Post #142 - March 2nd, 2009, 11:35 am Post #142 - March 2nd, 2009, 11:35 am
    Ghazi wrote:The Tacos al Carbon at La Placita in Addison (Lake Street, just west of Addison Ave) are excellent. The steak is charred on the outside, with nice meaty tenderness. And I believe its about $5 for 3 tacos.

I have a friend who's been going there about 3 times a week for the past 4 years. :wink:

btw - Is there a differnece between a "taco el carbon" and a "carne asada" taco? :oops:

I just wanted to reiterate my above post from some months ago based on last night's dinner at La Placita in Addison. I had 3 amazing steak tacos last night. They're called Taco el carbon, and I keep forgetting to ask what kind of steak they use, but they are top notch. Charred on the outside and juicy on the inside. (also had a barbacoa taco that was juicy and full of chunks of steamed beef, with just the right amount of buttery fat to seal the deal)

It's a 10 minute jaunt from Oak Park and well worth the trip.
  • Post #143 - March 2nd, 2009, 1:39 pm
    Post #143 - March 2nd, 2009, 1:39 pm Post #143 - March 2nd, 2009, 1:39 pm
    Hmmm. I know a few ppl who live out that way and have been trekking to Las Asadas (Elmhurst Road and Oakton location) for their "fixes." I'll have to give them the heads up about this place.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #144 - March 3rd, 2009, 12:50 pm
    Post #144 - March 3rd, 2009, 12:50 pm Post #144 - March 3rd, 2009, 12:50 pm
    Ghazi -

Here's what kind of taco hounds I know -
    They were planning on going to La Placita yesterday the moment I told them, but he had an issue with his newborn.
    So he went today. As he pulled into the lot, he called and said that even tho there were plenty of ppl , there was no char grill aroma in the air.

Strike one.

When you are on the same block as Las Asadas, and La P, you SMELL steak on the grill. Asadas in Des plaines has a chimney that spits out char grill steak smoke. You KNOW what's up when you drive by. There is no mistaking that grilled steak aroma.

Now, granted, we both cut our teeth on Las Americanas, La Pasadita, and Las Asadas, and we are both big fans of Asadero as well, but we are ALWAYS on the lookout for a new great joint. I fully trust his judgement, and gave him the full barrage of questioning:

Salsa? "Ok. I asked for their hottest salsa. It was ok."
    Steak? "It was more like hamburger than steak. It had a decent char to it, but it was mushy like hamburger. Whoever said this place was good has probably not been to Pasadita or Asadas. It was probably the best stuff in the area, but I would probably never come here again. I can go to Burger King for a char grilled hamburger. When I want char grilled STEAK, I go to Asadas, or Pasadita. I was able to eat it, I didn't throw it against the wall, but it wasn't good. It was at best, OK."

Now, I still might go if I'm ever out that way, but he advised me not to. He said that if I went, I'd be legitimately pissed off. Nobody is mad here, in fact, he did say it was OK, and was glad to try it - since we both like to try new spots when they are recommended (even though 95% of he time, it turns out to be a joke.) He conceded that it just might be possible that some ppl DO prefer hamburger to steak - it IS offered on many taqueria menus. We have a very pronounced preference to juicy, char-grilled skirt steak. It's like having a very good steak off the grill in your back yard wrapped in a tortilla. I have a long standing theory (and it's just a theory) that a lot of ppl have no idea that really good steak is available at a few Chicagoland taquerias, so they settle for the best of the garbage, like Taco Burrito Palace, El Famous, etc.

So, this was just my friend's opinion after trying it out. I forgot most of the things he said, but I assure you, I wouldn't be able to post them - he said them in good fun, cuz we're cool like that. One thing he DID say, was that "it was a step up from El Famous." Which, to me, is damning by faint praise. Of course, it could have been an off day, but, I've never encountered "steak" with ther consistency of hamburger at La P, Asadas, or Asadero. I don't wish to discourage others from trying if they plan to, either. Please go, and we'll hope this was an off day. I'd LOVE for this joint to be great. Always good to have options.
    Last edited by seebee on July 23rd, 2009, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #145 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm
    Post #145 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm Post #145 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:03 pm
    Public service announcement: No such thing as tacos "el carbon." This phrase has turned up a lot here lately, and I don't want it to slide into common usage. It's "al carbon." That is all.
  • Post #146 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:09 pm
    Post #146 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:09 pm Post #146 - March 3rd, 2009, 1:09 pm
    Lol. Kind of irked me as well.

I'm not sure if it's true or not (I think NOT) but someone on chowhound, I think wrote that the "al" in al carbon actually is actually derived from a middle eastern term. Funny, I always thought it was a simple conjunction of the spanish words "a," and "el." The literal translation of tacos al carbon is "tacos to the charcoal," no?
  • Post #147 - March 3rd, 2009, 3:50 pm
    Post #147 - March 3rd, 2009, 3:50 pm Post #147 - March 3rd, 2009, 3:50 pm
    It's a contraction, but "a" in this case is used to indicate mode or instrumentatlity as I understand it. Examples: "a mano" (by hand/handmade), "a lapiz" (in pencil), "al trunko" (eaten off the trunk of a car). Doubtless the Arabic word and the Spanish word share a history that is not limited to taco meat. Consider the source. :wink:
  • Post #148 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:00 pm
    Post #148 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:00 pm Post #148 - July 23rd, 2009, 3:00 pm
    Went to the east side of Ashland La Pasadita last night. I thought that their carne asada taco was much better than Las Asadas. I thought the meat itself was more flavorful, and there were some crunchy bits mixed in which I really liked. Also had a couple of lengua tacos, but I thought the carne asada was far superior.

On the other hand, the smell in that place last night was none to pleasant. That being said, I'd still go back for the tacos
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #149 - July 25th, 2009, 4:50 am
    Post #149 - July 25th, 2009, 4:50 am Post #149 - July 25th, 2009, 4:50 am
    A gem in Little Village. Los Olivos is a small run family business with Norma at the helm.

While the carne asada is not up to par with LP, their Carne Desebrada ( shredded beef with cooked carrots and potatoes) will not disappoint. All tacos come with lettuce, tomatoes, Chihuahua cheese, sour cream, avocado, and your choice of salsas. The burritos are also a hit here. Lunch time gets very busy with workers from Cook County and the surrounding area. So call ahead or get there early since they close around 4:30 PM.

Los Olivos
    3400 W. 31st Street
    (between Homan and Trumball Ave.)
    Chicago, Ill 60623
    (773) 247-1002
  • Post #150 - August 15th, 2009, 5:29 pm
    Post #150 - August 15th, 2009, 5:29 pm Post #150 - August 15th, 2009, 5:29 pm
    I had some excellent carne asada tacos at Zacataco on Harlem (Berwyn) today. The meat was tender, moist, cooked properly, and no gristle. And they loaded them up with a healthy serving of meat.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more