LTH Home

Bacon and Egg Cocktail at Otom

Bacon and Egg Cocktail at Otom
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bacon and Egg Cocktail at Otom

    Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 9:45 pm
    Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 9:45 pm Post #1 - September 10th, 2008, 9:45 pm
    Bacon is a wonderful food and I'm all in favor of its responsible use. I do not, however, think that everything is improved by it. Case in point: the Bacon and Egg cocktail at Otom.

    Image

    This concoction contains "bacon-washed Plymouth gin, bacon bitters, maple syrup, lemon, egg white and a maple-glazed bacon strip." I'd like to hear what the everything's-better-with-bacon crowd has to say after trying this one. To me it's a waste of $12 (not to mention some perfectly good bacon).

    Otom
    951 W Fulton Market St
    Chicago
    312-491-5804

    Edited to fix image link.
    Last edited by Rene G on October 22nd, 2008, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am Post #2 - September 11th, 2008, 8:46 am
    I mostly agree with this. The waitress said I'd like it if I really, really, really liked bacon. But it was more essence of smoke with a nice bacon nose, than bacon all the way through. I don't typically care for Rauchbier either.

    The server was really quite nice, and when she realized I wasn't thrilled with the bacon and egg, virtually insisted on replacing it. While I was grateful for another drink, and happy not to risk the palatal dissatisfaction of a whole Bacon and Egg, I've been left with the gnawing feeling that, like a good bowl of soup, the flavor might have really rounded out after you're halfway through. If someone else is willing to try this experiment, I'd love to hear the results.

    Happily, the replacement Cilantro Sling was a delightful take on another unorthodox cocktail flavoring. The cilantro was powerfully (and positively) represented.

    My Sunberry Sazerac was quite nice too.

    I found Otom a very nice spot for a cocktail, and I really appreciated the menu. The flavor profile of the house cocktails runs sweet, maybe a little much in some places, but overall a nice alternative for quality cocktails in the city.
  • Post #3 - September 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm
    Post #3 - September 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm Post #3 - September 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm
    I wonder if this would have tasted better if it had in fact been presented as a soup - in a bowl with a spoon. The elements sound like they would be good together.
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2008, 10:24 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2008, 10:24 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2008, 10:24 pm
    Louisa Chu wrote:I wonder if this would have tasted better if it had in fact been presented as a soup - in a bowl with a spoon. The elements sound like they would be good together.


    I don't think so. I loved the prosciutto consomme at Schwa, for example, which is more what I would expect of a bacony soup. Okay, so that's not smoked, which I guess is a big difference, but at least it was porky all the way through. This drink gave a little pork at first, but gave way simply to smoke, liquidy smoke (though not Liquid Smoke).

    The carbonated effect from the egg white also would have been odd in a soup, though I admit the savoriness may have seemed less unfamiliar that way. I'm curious to hear from someone who liked it, though.
  • Post #5 - September 11th, 2008, 11:09 pm
    Post #5 - September 11th, 2008, 11:09 pm Post #5 - September 11th, 2008, 11:09 pm
    The last time I was pondering what kind of drink bacon might be good with, I came up with a bloody mary using a skewered piece of crisp bacon (perhaps peppered bacon) as a garnish, along with the typical celery stick. We never got around to actually trying it, though.

    I could also see bacon infused into bourbon, which might then be used to make the kinds of cocktails often made from the peatier, smokier types of scotch or Irish whiskey.

    But the pairing of gin -- typically used for clear, clean-tasting drinks or fruity cocktails -- with maple syrup and bacon just seems wrong.
  • Post #6 - September 11th, 2008, 11:50 pm
    Post #6 - September 11th, 2008, 11:50 pm Post #6 - September 11th, 2008, 11:50 pm
    Aaron Deacon wrote:
    Louisa Chu wrote:I wonder if this would have tasted better if it had in fact been presented as a soup - in a bowl with a spoon. The elements sound like they would be good together.


    I don't think so. I loved the prosciutto consomme at Schwa, for example, which is more what I would expect of a bacony soup. Okay, so that's not smoked, which I guess is a big difference, but at least it was porky all the way through. This drink gave a little pork at first, but gave way simply to smoke, liquidy smoke (though not Liquid Smoke).

    The carbonated effect from the egg white also would have been odd in a soup, though I admit the savoriness may have seemed less unfamiliar that way. I'm curious to hear from someone who liked it, though.


    O.M.G. At least it was not evocative of Liquid Smoke! I had a smoked Coke - as in Coca-Cola - cocktail at Tailor in New York and it was the most horrible experience. It was worse than Liquid Smoke - as if there could be such a thing. They were so proud of themselves but after that drink all I could taste was essence of ashtray.

    See, the carbonation effect sounds so attractive to me. Maybe if it was a warm, porky, smoky - in a good way - slighty carbonated soup. That sounds really good.
  • Post #7 - September 12th, 2008, 1:16 am
    Post #7 - September 12th, 2008, 1:16 am Post #7 - September 12th, 2008, 1:16 am
    LAZ wrote:The last time I was pondering what kind of drink bacon might be good with, I came up with a bloody mary using a skewered piece of crisp bacon (perhaps peppered bacon) as a garnish, along with the typical celery stick. We never got around to actually trying it, though.


    I would definately reccomend trying your idea (since I have and loved it). I sprinkled the bacon skewers with fried celery leaves ( I fry the small inner, light colored, leaves for a few seconds or until they stop popping like crazy). This gives you a spicy bacon kick with a subtle, yet strong flavor of celery in this minor garnish that ties in the celery sticks. :wink:
    GOOD TIMES!
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2008, 8:04 am
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2008, 8:04 am Post #8 - September 13th, 2008, 8:04 am
    Frontera serves a bacon infused Maragarita that's pretty forgettable.
  • Post #9 - September 16th, 2008, 11:30 am
    Post #9 - September 16th, 2008, 11:30 am Post #9 - September 16th, 2008, 11:30 am
    Aaron Deacon wrote:The waitress said I'd like it if I really, really, really liked bacon.

    Looks like I have my plans set for Saturday night.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #10 - September 16th, 2008, 11:19 pm
    Post #10 - September 16th, 2008, 11:19 pm Post #10 - September 16th, 2008, 11:19 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:
    Aaron Deacon wrote:The waitress said I'd like it if I really, really, really liked bacon.

    Looks like I have my plans set for Saturday night.


    I like bacon that much, but not this cocktail. I'm seriously enthused you're up for the challenge, however, and I look forward to your reaction.
  • Post #11 - September 17th, 2008, 5:49 am
    Post #11 - September 17th, 2008, 5:49 am Post #11 - September 17th, 2008, 5:49 am
    Do you recommend an appetizer to go with it? (Preferably not one with bacon.)
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

    I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #12 - September 17th, 2008, 7:35 am
    Post #12 - September 17th, 2008, 7:35 am Post #12 - September 17th, 2008, 7:35 am
    Good question...I didn't have it with food.
  • Post #13 - September 17th, 2008, 9:31 am
    Post #13 - September 17th, 2008, 9:31 am Post #13 - September 17th, 2008, 9:31 am
    Pie Lady wrote:Do you recommend an appetizer to go with it? (Preferably not one with bacon.)

    Some toast, perhaps 8)

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more