LTH Home

Fabulous Noodles - Lisle

Fabulous Noodles - Lisle
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 22nd, 2008, 6:57 am
    Post #31 - January 22nd, 2008, 6:57 am Post #31 - January 22nd, 2008, 6:57 am
    Doesnt say anything on the menu...wine recomendations appriciated!Thanks
  • Post #32 - January 22nd, 2008, 11:15 am
    Post #32 - January 22nd, 2008, 11:15 am Post #32 - January 22nd, 2008, 11:15 am
    If you want alcohol, go with a Chinese beer or a Heineken which tastes about the same.
  • Post #33 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:11 am
    Post #33 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:11 am Post #33 - January 23rd, 2008, 11:11 am
    since Fabulous Noodles thwarted my plan of going for lunch by being closed on Monday(forcing me to settle for Lao Szechuan & Dry chili chicken, hot & sour soup & a couple of egg rolls). I am tasked with going to Fabulous Noodles today for lunch, and was told by my wife to order enough food at lunch so I can bring home the leftovers for dinner(i think I can suffer through this task :wink: ).

I will have the Yu Noodles Indonesian Style, some egg rolls, bbq pork fried rice, and perhaps some Mandarin ribs, or crispy skin chicken.

Since we will be back in the suburbs on Saturday my wife has already told me that we are going to Fabulous Noodles for lunch that day as well. Life is tough... :)
  • Post #34 - June 4th, 2008, 11:23 pm
    Post #34 - June 4th, 2008, 11:23 pm Post #34 - June 4th, 2008, 11:23 pm
    The online menu is not very descriptive. Can anyone tell me more about:
    -Yu noodles Indonesian vs. Taiwan style (also the Indonesian style is listed under Noodles for 5.50 and under Pan Fried Noodles and Rice Noodles for 9.95)
    -Rice noodles Taiwan style
    -Which of the rice noodles dishes are closest to traditional Beef/Broccoli Chow Fun or Gan Chow Fun?
    Thank you.
  • Post #35 - June 5th, 2008, 8:18 am
    Post #35 - June 5th, 2008, 8:18 am Post #35 - June 5th, 2008, 8:18 am
    jujubee wrote:The online menu is not very descriptive. Can anyone tell me more about:
    -Yu noodles Indonesian vs. Taiwan style (also the Indonesian style is listed under Noodles for 5.50 and under Pan Fried Noodles and Rice Noodles for 9.95)
    -Rice noodles Taiwan style
    -Which of the rice noodles dishes are closest to traditional Beef/Broccoli Chow Fun or Gan Chow Fun?
    Thank you.

- The Indonesian noodles are wheat noodles stir-fried, with very good wok hay. Think very good lo mein as opposed to Singapore noodles (e.g. no curry flavor). I haven't had the Taiwan noodles yet, so I can't compare.
    - Haven't had it yet, but...
    - They have an excellent chow fun, better than what I've had late-night in Chinatown. Not even sure it's on the menu, but ask for rice noodles with beef and Chinese broccoli. The rice noodles are crisp on the bottom, the beef is tender, the Chinese broccoli has only the slightest bitterness, and the sauce is decidedly not greasy (this is what pushes FN chow fun over Chinatown chow fun). It's definitley one of my favorite dishes at FN.

I'd also like to mention that they have a newish special of soft-shell crab, done salt n pepper style. It comes with three crabs, split in half (i.e. 6 pieces) and it's ridiculously good.
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!
  • Post #36 - June 5th, 2008, 12:22 pm
    Post #36 - June 5th, 2008, 12:22 pm Post #36 - June 5th, 2008, 12:22 pm
    Thanks Mikelipino. Just want to make sure the beef is not too chewy - I've had some chow fun with scary beef. Also do you know the difference between the 2 Indonesian Yu Noodles with the different prices? Thanks!
  • Post #37 - June 6th, 2008, 9:09 am
    Post #37 - June 6th, 2008, 9:09 am Post #37 - June 6th, 2008, 9:09 am
    I believe that cheaper price is the lunch menu price (smaller portion) as it's up near the top with the rest of the lunch menu stuff. Not sure though, I'll ask the next time I drop in.
    Stickin' together is what good waffles do!
  • Post #38 - July 18th, 2008, 8:23 am
    Post #38 - July 18th, 2008, 8:23 am Post #38 - July 18th, 2008, 8:23 am
    We went to Fabulous Noodles for a mid-week dinner last night. It was my wife, my daughter, my mom, and myself. Sadly Fabulous Noodles was empty of other customers, for the hour and a half we were eating, although there were about 4-5 people coming in for carryout orders.

We ordered:
    Beef Fried Rice
    Orange Beef
    Yu Noodles Indonesian Style
    Sesame Chicken
    (3) egg rolls
    Braised Noodles w/ ginger,green onion, & oyser sauce.
    a few beers each for my mom and myself

Hightlights:
    -The orange beef was not what I expeceted but a pleasant surprise. thin strips of beef in a nice sauce with plenty of orange zest. I enjoyed it
    -The Braised Noodles w.ginger,green onion, & oyster sauce was very good

The eggrolls are my favorite around, with their hint of peanut butter. The Yu Noodles were great as they always are., and fried rice, and sesame chicken are what they are.

Overall a good meal, and plenty of leftovers for $64 before tip.
  • Post #39 - September 12th, 2008, 6:43 am
    Post #39 - September 12th, 2008, 6:43 am Post #39 - September 12th, 2008, 6:43 am
    had another very good meal @ Fabulous Noodles last night. Arrived around 5:30 and the place was empty other than 1 other table. We started with the typical order of tehir excellent egg rolls,. We also had Noodles with spicy beef, Yu Noodles Indonesian style, Combination fried rice, and ginger beef.

The noodles with spicy beef was pretty good, big cunks of meat served in a broth with thick noodles. The broth was not as flavorfull as I like, but then again mymost recent dish like this was the Pho @ Tank Noodle wich is on a differnt level entirely. Still a good dish though.

The Yu Noodles are ordered every time, and are one of my favorite dishes there. The fried rice was good with chicken, pork, and pineapple,.

The ginger beef was a new one for us, and it did not dissapoint, the worm shaped pieces of deep fried, and glazed pieces of beef were very good. Like beef candy.

Just another good visit to my favorite Chinese restaurant in Chicagoland.
  • Post #40 - November 30th, 2008, 8:24 pm
    Post #40 - November 30th, 2008, 8:24 pm Post #40 - November 30th, 2008, 8:24 pm
    Mike and I were out in Naperville today to score some cheap furniture (Carsons has a furniture outlet there? no way! 65% off marked down prices? NO WAY!!!). We ended up at Ikea, contemplating whether we should take a chance on some Swedish meatballs, when I remembered Fabulous Noodles is right down the road (and by road I meant 355). So off we went, and when we arrived, we realized that we were 5 minutes away from his parents' place... where we spent the entire weekend!

On to the food... We ordered the beef brisket and bbq pork soup noodles, baby bok choy with garlic and salt and pepper smelts (specials board). Very enjoyable. The smelts were really good, but we detected a hint of msg. We finished things off with sweet dou fu fa (beancurd).

The table next to us had a pretty good sized steamed fish and it was picked clean by 2 eaters. Helen said that it was a flounder and it's from the dinner menu. I know what I will be having next time! Mike and I fully intend to bring my future in-laws here...
  • Post #41 - July 2nd, 2009, 11:12 pm
    Post #41 - July 2nd, 2009, 11:12 pm Post #41 - July 2nd, 2009, 11:12 pm
    Fabulous Noodles is closed through July 6th. Went to the Eyes to the Sky festival in Lisle and was hoping to stop there first but was disappointed.
  • Post #42 - May 7th, 2010, 6:16 pm
    Post #42 - May 7th, 2010, 6:16 pm Post #42 - May 7th, 2010, 6:16 pm
    Damn.... I had stayed away from FN way too long, almost a year... :oops:

Within the last few weeks I have been revisiting the 3 Chinese standouts on Ogden Ave from westmont to Lisle(plus a few visits to Chinatown as well(lao bejing, Double Li, & LTH). First was a return visit to katy's after about a years absense, then Lao Sze Chuan after about a years absence, and finally tonight a retunr to FN after almost a year. For my tastes I had alway put FN above the other two in this area, and tonights visit cemented that in my mind.

Start to finish this was a great meal. I am a big fan of eggrolls(they are what they are but I like them), and FN has the best around imho. Next came a braised noodle dish topped with julienne ginger, green onion, and oyster sauce... sometimes a simple dish can be brilliant and this one is for me. Soon to follow was a dish of bbq pork fried rice, a solid version, and another item I always order because i like fried rice, and so does my daughter. We also ordered some sesame chicken which was by far the weakest dish of the bunch, but another item for my daughter(althought she focused on the braised noodles, fried rice, and steamed rice.

I have been on a huge rice noodle kick lately, and the dish i had tonight @ FN was the best version I have had. Ordered a pan fried rice noodle dish with beef in satay sauce. The noodles, simply awesome, crisp, and chewy, yet tender and supple inside.. The thin sliced beef was tender and lean, and the satay sauce with sliced white onon, and green onion was excellent. Next time i may try this dish with beef and black ben sauce.

Total tab with a couple Miller lites thrown in was $46. not bad.

Sorry no pics, I have been feeling rather libertated lately not worrying about taking pics of everything I eat out, I have been enjoying my meals more.
  • Post #43 - May 8th, 2010, 5:15 am
    Post #43 - May 8th, 2010, 5:15 am Post #43 - May 8th, 2010, 5:15 am
    Jim, no pictures? thats simply unacceptable !!!!!
  • Post #44 - May 8th, 2010, 6:53 am
    Post #44 - May 8th, 2010, 6:53 am Post #44 - May 8th, 2010, 6:53 am
    local597 wrote:Jim, no pictures? thats simply unacceptable !!!!!

I know... Ive been slacking lately, and being selfish. :D
  • Post #45 - June 14th, 2010, 11:06 pm
    Post #45 - June 14th, 2010, 11:06 pm Post #45 - June 14th, 2010, 11:06 pm
    local597 wrote:Jim, no pictures? that's simply unacceptable !!!!!

Trying to keep Jim's honor intact and drooling after his description of his visit I duplicated his order, also on a way too long delayed visit.

Egg Rolls Not the thumb sized rolls but full sized. Nice peanut flavor.

Pan Fried Rice Noodles with Beef in Satay Sauce

Very nicely done! A nice crunch from the fried rice noodles, chewy where it was under the sauce and the Fabulous Noodles with the beef and satay. Sweet, salty and a touch of spice.

Best in The West!
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #46 - June 15th, 2010, 8:53 am
    Post #46 - June 15th, 2010, 8:53 am Post #46 - June 15th, 2010, 8:53 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:Image
    Very nicely done! A nice crunch from the fried rice noodles, chewy where it was under the sauce and the Fabulous Noodles with the beef and satay. Sweet, salty and a touch of spice.

great pic John,
    youv'e got me hankering for a trip over to FN asap
  • Post #47 - September 5th, 2010, 4:18 pm
    Post #47 - September 5th, 2010, 4:18 pm Post #47 - September 5th, 2010, 4:18 pm
    Im in Naperville pretty often, i lived there for 35 years, and still have family there, sadly within Naperville there really isnt that many choices for good food. The Katy's Naperville is pretty good, but other than that and Raku for sushi/Japanese food I really cant get excited about anything in my old home town.

But I digress, if I am going to eat in the Naperville area, and dont end up turning my truck towards Chicago instead, i will typically head right across the border to the east to Lisle and Fabulous Noodles. Always solid.

Today did not dissapoint. After a couple hours @ The Last Fling we hit FN for lunch. Egg Rolls - I hve said before they are my favorite egg roll in Chicagoland. Yu noodles Indonesian Style, Shrimp and Peas over white rice, BBQ pork fried rice, and shrimp dumplings and braised noodles.

The favorite dish of the meal was the shrimp dumplings and the braised noodles. served with a rich but subtle cup of broth and the noodles and dumplings drizzled with oyster sauce is a great dish.

BBQ pork fried rice was solid as was the Yu Noodles, simple shrimp and peas over the white rice was nice as well.

Just another solid lunch @ FN.

bbq pork fried rice:

Yu noodles indonesian Style:

Shrimp dumplings and braised noodles:

• Post #48 - September 5th, 2010, 6:46 pm
    Post #48 - September 5th, 2010, 6:46 pm Post #48 - September 5th, 2010, 6:46 pm
    Jim - have you tried Mapo? It's kind of hidden off of Ogden behind H-Mart. Really good Chinese food with better service than Katy's Dumplings and there's sometimes even a guy outside selling organic Chinese veggies from a truck.
  • Post #49 - September 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm
    Post #49 - September 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm Post #49 - September 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm
    Hurdler4eva wrote:Jim - have you tried Mapo? It's kind of hidden off of Ogden behind H-Mart. Really good Chinese food with better service than Katy's Dumplings and there's sometimes even a guy outside selling organic Chinese veggies from a truck.

I have, I thought Mapo was ok for my tastes and the dishes I like to eat. I have only eaten there once though.
  • Post #50 - September 5th, 2010, 9:13 pm
    Post #50 - September 5th, 2010, 9:13 pm Post #50 - September 5th, 2010, 9:13 pm
    hey jim.. and everyone.. what's your take on clams in black bean sauce? the best i've had were at LSC Downtown ?????
  • Post #51 - September 6th, 2010, 6:37 am
    Post #51 - September 6th, 2010, 6:37 am Post #51 - September 6th, 2010, 6:37 am
    I have not had this dish @ FN,

I did have a good version @ Chinese Kitchen in Westmont, but nowhere near as good as the one I have had @ LTH.
  • Post #52 - September 6th, 2010, 7:45 am
    Post #52 - September 6th, 2010, 7:45 am Post #52 - September 6th, 2010, 7:45 am
    Thanks!
  • Post #53 - December 15th, 2010, 8:21 pm
    Post #53 - December 15th, 2010, 8:21 pm Post #53 - December 15th, 2010, 8:21 pm
    Made my first enlightened visit to Fabulous Noodles (first visit came 4+ years ago and probably ordered some amer-chinese dish) for lunch today. Armed with the knowledge of this thread, I ordered the Soup Noodles w/barbecue pork and an egg roll. The egg roll really is head and shoulders above most egg rolls. The little bits of pork gave me a preview of what was to come with the soup. Then came the soup. The broth was rich and flavorful. The pork is delightful. Addicting to be exact. The noodles are nothing to get excited about. If you could take Katy's noodles and put them in this soup, you would have an all-time great dish.

Now that I work in the area, Fabulous Noodles will join the rotation and I can explore more parts of the menu. The roasted duck sounds good as well as some of the other dishes posted in this thread.

Also just a note that I didn't see posted in this thread or on their website. They don't accept credit cards for orders under $15. Not sure if that is a recent occurrence, but wanted to get it out there. I tried to pay with a card and was told they didn't take them for a check that small. Since I had absolutely no cash, they were nice enough to ring it through anyways. I tipped to make up the difference to $15.
  • Post #54 - December 18th, 2010, 10:34 am
    Post #54 - December 18th, 2010, 10:34 am Post #54 - December 18th, 2010, 10:34 am
    you could also have told them that that's illegal,which i believe it is. I'll bring cash to be sure i get some of that pork!
  • Post #55 - December 18th, 2010, 11:12 am
    Post #55 - December 18th, 2010, 11:12 am Post #55 - December 18th, 2010, 11:12 am
    or just order more , $15 isnt that much.
  • Post #56 - December 18th, 2010, 12:27 pm
    Post #56 - December 18th, 2010, 12:27 pm Post #56 - December 18th, 2010, 12:27 pm
    local597 wrote:you could also have told them that that's illegal,which i believe it is. I'll bring cash to be sure i get some of that pork!

Definitely not illegal. Possibly against the terms of their agreement with their credit card processor, but not illegal. And the credit card processors never enforce that stuff, even if it is in their agreement.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #57 - December 19th, 2010, 1:52 pm
    Post #57 - December 19th, 2010, 1:52 pm Post #57 - December 19th, 2010, 1:52 pm
    Just for fun, I'll check in to it...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more