LTH Home

Flossmoor Station Brewery

Flossmoor Station Brewery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Flossmoor Station Brewery

Post #1 - January 11th, 2007, 8:30 am
    Post #1 - January 11th, 2007, 8:30 am Post #1 - January 11th, 2007, 8:30 am
    Last night the family had dinner at Flossmoor Station. As I paid the check, I noticed on the bottom it read: "We've Just been named SMALL BREWPUB OF THE YEAR at the Great American Beer Festival".

Appropriately, there is an article in the local paper about Flossmoor Station:

http://www.starnewspapers.com/homewood/ ... z1.article

We were lucky enough to have one of their beers at the holiday party in December.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 6:44 pm
    Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 6:44 pm Post #2 - January 11th, 2007, 6:44 pm
    Yep. They're my favorite brewpub in the Chicagoland area. They deserve all the praise they get.
  • Post #3 - February 2nd, 2007, 10:09 am
    Post #3 - February 2nd, 2007, 10:09 am Post #3 - February 2nd, 2007, 10:09 am
    They are indeed a very good brewpub that has good people and produce good beers. I really hated myself for missing out on the Imp Mocha Stout last time. I will be visiting on their next brewery tour, and surely it is going to be a good time.
  • Post #4 - March 14th, 2007, 10:48 am
    Post #4 - March 14th, 2007, 10:48 am Post #4 - March 14th, 2007, 10:48 am
    X-IPA is on tap NOW at Flossmoor Station. It's a March thing. HOPPY HOPPY HOPPY .... get it while it lasts.
  • Post #5 - May 16th, 2008, 7:29 am
    Post #5 - May 16th, 2008, 7:29 am Post #5 - May 16th, 2008, 7:29 am
    I had read that Flossmoor Station was going to begin selling 22oz bottles of their beers this spring (but only at the brewpub for a while until stocks increase). I wrote off getting my hands on any until this summer (unless I made a pilgrimage).

I was delighted to find the nut brown ale on the menu at Crust just last night. I am a big fan of brown ales (I think of Samuel Smith's generally as my favorite). I was first introduced to FS's version in growler form by Rene G (who has built up an excellent track record of introducing me to great beers over time, thank you sir). It has been a while since that first taste and my bottle last night was just as delightful as the first time. Smooth, slightly sweet, a background note of bitterness at the end, and really just plain flavorful. The brewmaster is quoted on the bottle that this is "a beer to contemplate", and I found myself doing just that. At one point I was drinking it and just staring at it and Cookie said to me sarcastically, "so, you really like this beer, huh?" (I had made the same declaration a few times already). I replied, "I need to fill our basement with these bottles".

If I dreamed up a worldwide competition between brewmasters to create a beer specifically for me, this is the beer that the winner would produce. It's really something beautiful.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #6 - May 16th, 2008, 8:05 am
    Post #6 - May 16th, 2008, 8:05 am Post #6 - May 16th, 2008, 8:05 am

Yes, they are bottling and distributing! It is also available in stores!
  • Post #7 - May 16th, 2008, 11:45 am
    Post #7 - May 16th, 2008, 11:45 am Post #7 - May 16th, 2008, 11:45 am
    Per this post on their blog, the list of stores that might carry their beer include:
    Lush Wine and Spirits, University Village and Roscoe Village
    Twisted Spoke
    Archer Liquors
    Randolph Wine Cellar
    Dobby's Liquors
    Whole Foods Northbrook, River Forest, Lakeview, Evanston
    Risque Cafe
    Kimbark Liquors
    Uncommon Ground
    Brasserie Jo
    Sheffield's
    Map Room
    Pointin Still
    Prairie Moon Cafe

Their blog, in general, is a great resource. They update their tap list regularly and put up other notices on upcoming events and 'features' on brewery updates.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #8 - May 19th, 2008, 10:51 am
    Post #8 - May 19th, 2008, 10:51 am Post #8 - May 19th, 2008, 10:51 am
    Picked up a bottle of the Pullman Brown Ale at Whole Foods on Ashland yesterday...$6.99, I believe. There was a display just around the corner from the beer cooler...didn't see any of the StationMaster or IPA.
    "Ah, lamentably no, my gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety" - Homer J. Simpson
  • Post #9 - May 19th, 2008, 11:32 am
    Post #9 - May 19th, 2008, 11:32 am Post #9 - May 19th, 2008, 11:32 am
    My girlfriend and I visited Flossmor Station Brewery a couple weeks ago at the suggestion of a bloke we stood in line behind at Three Floyd's Dark Lord Day.

I must say that I wasn't impressed. I had gone in with high expectations and, while I didn't have a bad time, I wasn't wowed. The atmosphere was loud and busy, and the waitstaff was inattentive.

The beer was good, don't get me wrong. Perhaps we just picked the wrong time to visit.
  • Post #10 - May 19th, 2008, 11:38 am
    Post #10 - May 19th, 2008, 11:38 am Post #10 - May 19th, 2008, 11:38 am
    Llama wrote:My girlfriend and I visited Flossmor Station Brewery a couple weeks ago at the suggestion of a bloke we stood in line behind at Three Floyd's Dark Lord Day.

I must say that I wasn't impressed. I had gone in with high expectations and, while I didn't have a bad time, I wasn't wowed. The atmosphere was loud and busy, and the waitstaff was inattentive.

The beer was good, don't get me wrong. Perhaps we just picked the wrong time to visit.

In my few experiences at Flossmoor Station this is typical of the poorly trained, slow waitstaff. Luckily after a few beers I tend to not notice as much.
  • Post #11 - May 19th, 2008, 4:49 pm
    Post #11 - May 19th, 2008, 4:49 pm Post #11 - May 19th, 2008, 4:49 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:Per this post on their blog, the list of stores that might carry their beer include:

Not on the list, but I bought a 22 oz. of the wheat beer at Taste Food & Wine on Jarvis on Saturday night. That was the only one they had and the proprietor didn't realize that Flossmoor had other styles when I asked.

Taste Food & Wine
    1506 W Jarvis Ave
    Chicago, IL 60626
    (773) 761-3663‎
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #12 - May 23rd, 2008, 3:55 pm
    Post #12 - May 23rd, 2008, 3:55 pm Post #12 - May 23rd, 2008, 3:55 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:Per this post on
    Brasserie Jo

$20-$24/bomber, which I couldn't quite justify.
  • Post #13 - March 16th, 2009, 12:33 pm
    Post #13 - March 16th, 2009, 12:33 pm Post #13 - March 16th, 2009, 12:33 pm
    Went to Flossmor Station for the first time on Saturday for an early dinner.

The beer list wasn't too exciting. Golden Ale, Honey Ale, American Wheat, 2x fruit Wheat Beers all pretty "meh" sounding. Panama Red and Pullman Brown are both tasty, guess I was just expecting some more variety on the beer front.

Food was downright terrible I'd say. I went with a "Hot Tub" Reuben. Guess I wasn't too clear on the fact that it was basically a bread bowl stuffed with reuben makings. The hot globs of 1000 Island dressing make it far from enjoyable. My wife went with the Portobella Melt, and she only made it through two bites before giving up. The mushrooms looked stringy and soggy.

The menu is pretty large so maybe we just went with the wrong items or had a stroke of bad luck. Either way, not too sure I'll be back.

Jamie
  • Post #14 - October 7th, 2009, 10:42 am
    Post #14 - October 7th, 2009, 10:42 am Post #14 - October 7th, 2009, 10:42 am
    I've tried many winners on the menu like the macho nachos (w chili), the brewery platter (ribs, chicken wings, onion rings), the brewery burger, and the signature brownie volcano. The beers are also awesome - yeah, some stand out more than others, but try the sampler to start and you won't go wrong.
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
  • Post #15 - February 27th, 2019, 3:33 pm
    Post #15 - February 27th, 2019, 3:33 pm Post #15 - February 27th, 2019, 3:33 pm
    Hi
    Any updates? Need to be near here tomorrow night. Thinking of going somewhere newer like Hailstorm Brewing or Open Bottle but will consider this place too. Any other beer+food suggestions in this area?
    Thanks!
  • Post #16 - February 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    Post #16 - February 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm Post #16 - February 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    I am not a huge fan of Hailstorm. Everytime I am there and seeing as I live less than 2 miles from there, am there frequently. I am usually put off by the the beer tenders as they are not very friendly and seem to have attitude and make me feel like I have to thank them for letting me be there. Their beer offerings however, are very good. The Czech pilsner is very good and so is the American Strong. Hailstorm does not have food. Sometimes, food trucks stop by.

I do however love Soundgrowler. Nice room, really nice people working there and good selection of beer. Really like Idiot Riot, War Blood, and Tortilla Hands. Soundgrowler has a limited taco menu: Steak, Chicken, and Al Pastor. Although no trompo, the Al Pastor are very good. Steak too. Nice red and nice green sauce as well. Sometimes they have tamales as well. As an aside, they play doom music very softly. Some good, some horrid.
  • Post #17 - February 27th, 2019, 8:11 pm
    Post #17 - February 27th, 2019, 8:11 pm Post #17 - February 27th, 2019, 8:11 pm
    OMG. :shock: Nobody has posted about Flossmoor Station since 2009? {When Jamieson22's reply was made - both my parents were still alive.}
    This is doubly embarrassing since I have a Metra 10-ride ticket for zones A-E. If you haven't clicked to see where is the "E" band on Metra, suffice that Flossmoor is in "E".
    I have been there a bunch of times since 2009. Why I didn't post about it here is perplexing.
    The beers are still quite good. The Gandy Dancer is a flavorful ale with smooth, satisfying aspects both to the nose and the tongue. My favorite is the Pullman Brown Ale. It is rich and malty.
    I encourage you to go there. But please, don't be so foolish as to attempt motoring to the venue. It is a very short walk, with no traffic signals to mess you up, from the Flossmoor Metra Electric station.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more