LTH Home

Where can I eat near the Lawndale neighborhood

Where can I eat near the Lawndale neighborhood
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where can I eat near the Lawndale neighborhood

Post #1 - January 31st, 2008, 12:05 pm
    Post #1 - January 31st, 2008, 12:05 pm Post #1 - January 31st, 2008, 12:05 pm
    My job requires me to monitor polling places on election day, and this year I've been assigned to the 24th Ward, roughly the Lawndale neighborhood and the northern edge of Little Village. We're out there from before the polls open until after they close driving from precint to precinct, so we need to pull together three meals over the course of the day.

Last time I was in that area we drifted back towards Taylor Street for breakfast at Sweet Maple and dinner at Al's. My memory fades a little for lunch, but I believe we ate fried chicken at a place across the street from Marshall High School.

Obviously we can venture afield somewhat -- probably a necessity from Lawndale -- but we want to be a 5-10 minute drive back to the ward in case we get paged to go to a precinct for some reason.

Any suggestions?
  • Post #2 - January 31st, 2008, 12:26 pm
    Post #2 - January 31st, 2008, 12:26 pm Post #2 - January 31st, 2008, 12:26 pm
    first, to help other readers, here's a schematic map of the 24th ward:
    http://www.chicityclerk.com/citycouncil ... index.html

La Casa de Samuel is just east of the ward boundaries, on Cermak 1/2 block west of California. It'd be great for lunch or dinner. They also serve breakfast but I haven't been.

The Depot diner isn't all that far away from the westernmost edge of the ward, on Roosevelt east of Austin.

Ednas would be a bit north of the ward, on Madison by Kedzie, for soul food.

A bit south are lots and lots of places on W 26th St: e.g. Gorditas Aguascalientes, inside the Aguascalientes grocery store.

sorry, I don't have time to insert links but all these places should be findable with a search on the site.
  • Post #3 - January 31st, 2008, 12:41 pm
    Post #3 - January 31st, 2008, 12:41 pm Post #3 - January 31st, 2008, 12:41 pm
    also might be a tiny bit west, (not too many n/s streets on your "boundaries" map for boundary lines) but La Quebrada on Roosevelt rocks. Homemade tortillas.

4859 W. Roosevelt Rd
    =========
    Maybe Los Tamales for takeout tamales. I actually got some of these last Sunday. I can only recommend the pork/chicken in green sauce ONLY. I'm not a fan of any of the other ones they do.
    Los Tamales
    5735 W. 16th St.
    Cicero, IL 60804
    Phone: 708-222-3544
    =========
    You might be able to do this little unknown place too:
    Xni-Pec Restaurant
    5135 W 25th ST
    Cicero, IL
    (708) 652-8680
    ======
    Another one that's not very well known:
    Freddie's Pizza?
    1600 S. 61st Avenue
    Cicero
    ======
    I was just driving through that corridor on Roosevelt between the U and Cicero last night. There's a whole bunch of new stuff being built around there.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #4 - January 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm
    Post #4 - January 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm Post #4 - January 31st, 2008, 3:11 pm
    Depending on where in the 24th ward you are, you're pretty close to one of the finest beefs in Chicago (and a great hot dog too!) at Chickie's:

Chickie's
    2839 S. Pulaski Rd

Also, my favorite al pastor so far is from Atotonilco on 26th street:

Restaurant Atotonilco
    3916 W. 26th St

Both those places should be within the 5-10 minute drive timeframe, but once again, it depends where in the 24th ward you are.
  • Post #5 - January 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm
    Post #5 - January 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm Post #5 - January 31st, 2008, 5:36 pm
    If you are near to Kedzie (3200 W)- a short drive (5 minutes away- about 2 miles) down to 38th Street will put you in front of some of the tastiest Shrimp Ceviche Tostados youll ever snack on in Chicago!

I highly reccomend the Shrimp Empanadas as well as the Fish Tacos (not on the menu- just ask!)

Here's a write up about it!
    http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... ght=abuelo

The Shrimp Consumme (gratis= free)-will "heat up" any Pollsters low turnout thoughts!

El Abuelo yYo
    (My Grandfather & I)
    3752 S. Kedzie Ave.
    Chicago,IL.60632

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide