LTH Home

Sam's in the South Loop

Sam's in the South Loop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sam's in the South Loop

Post #1 - November 17th, 2007, 5:08 pm
    Post #1 - November 17th, 2007, 5:08 pm Post #1 - November 17th, 2007, 5:08 pm
    The new Sam's has just opened on the NE corner of Roosevelt & Wabash.
    Why report this on "Eating Out" as opposed to "Drinking Out"? A couple of reasons:

One. I earlier reported the rumor that a Fox&Obel would be opening on this site, so for those of you who are holding your breath--you can now exhale.

Two. There's a market where you can purchase charcuterie and cheese, and, considering the location, I wouldn't be surprised if, eventually, sandwiches were offered there as well.

Three. There's a small wine bar, with some open space for tables and chairs where you can get wine by the glass and cheese platters (for about $12). A reasonable option, it would seem, for a light lunch or a pre- or post-museum snack.
    "The fork with two prongs is in use in northern Europe. In England, they’re armed with a steel trident, a fork with three prongs. In France we have a fork with four prongs; it’s the height of civilization." Eugene Briffault (1846)
  • Post #2 - November 17th, 2007, 5:27 pm
    Post #2 - November 17th, 2007, 5:27 pm Post #2 - November 17th, 2007, 5:27 pm
    The new Binny's also opens Monday, directly across from Manny's, at 1132 S. Jefferson, and also features a "gourmet grocery" with lots of cheese/chocolate/pate.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #3 - December 21st, 2007, 1:38 pm
    Post #3 - December 21st, 2007, 1:38 pm Post #3 - December 21st, 2007, 1:38 pm
    Actually browsed through the new Binny's after lunch at Manny's today. Never really hit Binny's as there isn't one to near me, but do go to Sam's enough to know that the this Binny's beer selection is better than Sam's by multiples of 10. I can't say I have ever seen more beers in any store I have been to (including John's Grocery in Iowa City and AppleJack in Denver).

Can't wait to get back there as I have not been this excited to hit a liquor store since I turned 21!

Jamie
  • Post #4 - December 21st, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Post #4 - December 21st, 2007, 2:20 pm Post #4 - December 21st, 2007, 2:20 pm
    Both stores are a welcome addition to the South Loop area. For you cheese fans, Lydia is working the cheese counter at the new Sam's - you F&O shoppers might remember her from the cheese counter there. She's one of the most knowledgeable cheese people I know, and sweet as can be.
    - Mark

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon? Ham? Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.
  • Post #5 - December 21st, 2007, 2:39 pm
    Post #5 - December 21st, 2007, 2:39 pm Post #5 - December 21st, 2007, 2:39 pm
    Jamieson22 wrote:Actually browsed through the new Binny's after lunch at Manny's today. Never really hit Binny's as there isn't one to near me, but do go to Sam's enough to know that the this Binny's beer selection is better than Sam's by multiples of 10. I can't say I have ever seen more beers in any store I have been to (including John's Grocery in Iowa City and AppleJack in Denver).

Can't wait to get back there as I have not been this excited to hit a liquor store since I turned 21!

Jamie

From what I have heard, not had the chance to visit this Binny's yet, it has quite a bit larger selection than their other outposts. They recently renovated the Binny's in willowbrook near my house and I need to revisit and see if they too have expanded their once good but not great selection. I had defaulted to the Downer's Grove Sams while the construction was going on and because they HAD a better selection. Perhaps Binny's is consciously increasing the beer selection and variety of service at all of their locations?
  • Post #6 - December 21st, 2007, 2:57 pm
    Post #6 - December 21st, 2007, 2:57 pm Post #6 - December 21st, 2007, 2:57 pm
    One thing I failed to mention was that the Binny's also has a bar. Had about 10 or so beers on tap.

Manny's > Beer drinking > Beer shopping is a dangerous combo. Like they say about never going to a grocery store hungry; never go into a liquor store drunk.

Jamie
  • Post #7 - December 21st, 2007, 3:18 pm
    Post #7 - December 21st, 2007, 3:18 pm Post #7 - December 21st, 2007, 3:18 pm
    Hi,

The Sam's in Highland Park has a place to enjoy a glass of wine and something to eat from the deli. They may have service. I don't know, because I have not seen anyone sitting there.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #8 - December 21st, 2007, 3:57 pm
    Post #8 - December 21st, 2007, 3:57 pm Post #8 - December 21st, 2007, 3:57 pm
    I have been to the Sam's 3 times now. I must say that it is very cramped and all of the American and French wines are in the Basement. If you have a shopping cat full of wine bottles as I ofen do, it can be a real pain in the butt. I North ave location is much better but it is nice to have a Sam's close by. I think before I go back to the new Sam's I'll have to try the Binny's a few times first.
    Justin Hall
    FIG Catering
    FIGcatering.com
    MMMMM, Moon Waffles.
  • Post #9 - December 21st, 2007, 5:49 pm
    Post #9 - December 21st, 2007, 5:49 pm Post #9 - December 21st, 2007, 5:49 pm
    We made our field trip to Manny's/Binny's and Sam's South Loop on Wednesday (to do some gift shopping for ourselves!)

Turns out we know someone working the beer selection at both new locations -- both have strengths and its great that the buyers seem to have been given carte blanche to bring in top end beers.

Binny's has a larger footprint, and possibly therefore more shelf and cooler space for their beer selection. They also have a line up of beer on tap at their bar. Rumor is that the tap selection will be getting a bit more adventurous very soon too (which one would think is the point of having a tasting bar in the store... but I've heard rumors of an outrageous corkage fee so its not clear they really understand the point of a tasting bar yet. I will try to get to the bottom of this before I post anything definitive).

In relation to JustinFigs cart comment -- Binny's has a REALLY cool cart escalator that takes your full cart down to parking level!! I can only imagine what happens if the Binny's holiday party gets out of hand!

cheers!
  • Post #10 - December 24th, 2007, 8:50 am
    Post #10 - December 24th, 2007, 8:50 am Post #10 - December 24th, 2007, 8:50 am
    The South Loop Sam's has a magnificent cheese section. I can't think of a wider cheese selection in the city, very well thought out. The South Loop Binny's cheese section is also good, but Sam's is twice/three times as big. Both stores are a very welcome addition to the area, both merchants have made these locations showcases woohoo!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more