I am afraid of this salad.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I am afraid of this salad.

Post #1 - May 6th, 2007, 1:48 pm
    Post #1 - May 6th, 2007, 1:48 pm Post #1 - May 6th, 2007, 1:48 pm
    From a menu I received at work the other day from Leveche restaurant:

Leech Salad
    Mixed greens regicide, grape walnut, mustard and lime vinaigrette

They also have a pizza that is served with Sour Poland sauce.

No, I will not take one for the team and try the Leech Salad. Those buggers are evil.
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #2 - May 6th, 2007, 5:23 pm
    Post #2 - May 6th, 2007, 5:23 pm Post #2 - May 6th, 2007, 5:23 pm
    If you want a more general fear of Salad, you might read "Salad ,the Silent Killer" In Jeffery Steingarten's book "The Man Who Ate Everything."
    jeffery Steingarten wrote:I can confidently predict that by the end of this century the Surgeon General of the United States will require the following warning label on every spear of broccoli and every leaf of spinach: "Excess Consumption of Salad Ingredients can cause Vitamin Deficiency, Bad Skin, Lathyrism, Anemia, and, quite frankly, Death."

Given that that's copyright 1997, Mr. Steingarten's predictive skills may be a bit off, and on television he does come across as a pompous ass, but his scientific and other research skills are pretty good.
  • Post #3 - May 7th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    Post #3 - May 7th, 2007, 10:54 pm Post #3 - May 7th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    Regicide? So you get a dead King or Queen in your salad? That would be more scary than leech :lol: ,
  • Post #4 - May 8th, 2007, 1:21 pm
    Post #4 - May 8th, 2007, 1:21 pm Post #4 - May 8th, 2007, 1:21 pm
    "Mixed greens regicide"?

It clearly means that if you are the true heir to the throne of France and you consume this salad, it will kill you. It's sort of a sword-in-the-stone kind of thing, except instead of a stone, there's mesclun lettuce.

Obviously, as tradition attributes to the king the power to heal with the touch of his hand, the "Leech Salad" is a reference to this form of traditional healing. The "poison" of modern republicanism will be "leeched" from the state by the arrival of the true heir to the throne, who will be recognized, hailed, and then, alas, keel over into the vinaigrette.

I think this menu was composed by a senecan monarchist who wished to comment on the recent elections in France. Or by someone with a very high fever . . .
  • Post #5 - May 8th, 2007, 1:27 pm
    Post #5 - May 8th, 2007, 1:27 pm Post #5 - May 8th, 2007, 1:27 pm
    geli wrote:From a menu I received at work the other day from Leveche restaurant:

Leech Salad
    Mixed greens regicide, grape walnut, mustard and lime vinaigrette

They also have a pizza that is served with Sour Poland sauce.

No, I will not take one for the team and try the Leech Salad. Those buggers are evil.

It seemed obvious to me from the start that someone at the restaurant in question is challenged by the English language and/or doesn't employ a copyeditor(at least one who, again, is familiar with English).
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #6 - May 8th, 2007, 2:23 pm
    Post #6 - May 8th, 2007, 2:23 pm Post #6 - May 8th, 2007, 2:23 pm
    It clearly means that if you are the true heir to the throne of France and you consume this salad, it will kill you. It's sort of a sword-in-the-stone kind of thing, except instead of a stone, there's mesclun lettuce.

Ohmigod! Now's my chance to prove that I'm really a princess of the royal blood! Unfortunately it's got a catch similar to the witch-floats-in-water test: "yay! I'm a princess!" ::croak::

It seemed obvious to me from the start that someone at the restaurant in question is challenged by the English language and/or doesn't employ a copyeditor(at least one who, again, is familiar with English).

Ah, come on, don't be so LOGICAL. Because that probably would mean that the "cervezos" that they serve aren't really beer-flavored Cheerios...
    Anthony Bourdain on Barack Obama: "He's from Chicago, so he knows what good food is."
  • Post #7 - May 8th, 2007, 4:07 pm
    Post #7 - May 8th, 2007, 4:07 pm Post #7 - May 8th, 2007, 4:07 pm
    I can kind of see Leech being a seriuos typo for Leveche, but regicide really has me baffled.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #8 - May 8th, 2007, 6:05 pm
    Post #8 - May 8th, 2007, 6:05 pm Post #8 - May 8th, 2007, 6:05 pm
    Cynthia wrote:I can kind of see Leech being a seriuos typo for Leveche, but regicide really has me baffled.

regicide...radicchio, maybe?

But what the heck is Sour Poland Sauce?
  • Post #9 - May 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
    Post #9 - May 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm Post #9 - May 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
    Maybe it's what was served up after Germany invaded?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more