LTH Home

La Quebrada - Aurora

La Quebrada - Aurora
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • La Quebrada - Aurora

Post #1 - June 6th, 2004, 10:44 pm
    Post #1 - June 6th, 2004, 10:44 pm Post #1 - June 6th, 2004, 10:44 pm
    Brief update - went back Saturday night around 8 and the place was packed, including the full 8 piece Mariachi band.

Stuck to grilled meats and antojitos - combination azteca, which is chorizo, chicken and cesina in a spicy cactus sauce. Pretty tasty, and I particularly liked the chorizo. The pounded chicken breast brought nothing to the party, though.

Son had enchiladas en mole. Respectable rendition, which made him happy. Need to explore the new menu more, but you cannot go too far wrong with any La Quebrada, IMO.

La Quebrada
    723 S Broadway, Aurora, IL 60505
    (630) 896-2535
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #2 - March 11th, 2006, 12:37 am
    Post #2 - March 11th, 2006, 12:37 am Post #2 - March 11th, 2006, 12:37 am
    LTH,

Was out in Aurora to see one of our nieces in her high school production of Grease. Not having done my homework we found ourselves feeling a bit peckish with, seemingly, no options aside from the chain gang.

The evening was saved with a LTHForum On-Star call to Dickson, master of all things Land Beyond O'Hare who suggested the Aurora branch of La Quebrada. We started with a wonderful warm shrimp in de arbol sauce, Ellen had cecina with soupy beans and I had lomo in a chile de arbol sauce. Same delicious house made tortillas as the Cicero location.

Place was about 3/4 full at almost 10pm, no band, but there were a couple of strolling musicians. Very enjoyable, equally as good as my visits to the Cicero location. Oh, and by the way, our niece was terrific in the play.

Thanks D.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - March 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm
    Post #3 - March 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm Post #3 - March 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm
    Thanks, but you have it wrong. LAZ is actually
    master of all things Land Beyond O'Hare
    - I just cover N'ville & Beyond, as well as being Brigadier General of the Suburban Truth and Justice Force 8) .

Based on my vists to 3 La Q's Aurora is the most lively by far. Cicero is an old lunch counter with a juke box, and Glen Ellyn is sort of desolate, but Aurora rocks. Not sure if it is just me being sensitive to a warmer or colder atmosphere, but it also seems to me the food is better in Cicero and Aurora than Glen Ellyn. But I promise to continue to research this, since GE is so close to my office. I also need to see whether they ever post their GNR plaques.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #4 - March 14th, 2006, 3:58 am
    Post #4 - March 14th, 2006, 3:58 am Post #4 - March 14th, 2006, 3:58 am
    dicksond wrote:Thanks, but you have it wrong. LAZ is actually
    master of all things Land Beyond O'Hare

Thanks, but I just live here. Mastering it is beyond my capacity -- it's too vast -- and I spend too much time in the city. I have yet to fulfill a vow I made to eat in all the restaurants just in my own suburb -- and there aren't all that many.

I have been to the Glen Ellyn La Q a couple of times and enjoyed it, including a chance meeting with dees_1, who hangs out there, but I haven't been to the others and can't make comparisons.
  • Post #5 - May 24th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    Post #5 - May 24th, 2014, 9:23 pm Post #5 - May 24th, 2014, 9:23 pm
    Always good to find a GNR on my route: after a nice hike at Silver Springs State Park, La Quebrada hit the spot. Not at all impressed with the table salsa, but the chips were good. Carne Tampiqueňa and Oaxaqueňa were both terrific. Wonderful sauce on my Oaxaqueňa, good chorizo. Sue's Tampiqueňa was cooked perfectly.

I think it'd rather have a great skirt steak in Mexican place than a prime rib eye any day.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - January 19th, 2016, 10:26 am
    Post #6 - January 19th, 2016, 10:26 am Post #6 - January 19th, 2016, 10:26 am
    Just checking in on an old favorite of ours since I read about LaQ here over 10 years ago.

We have been visiting this location a couple times a year and it has been extremely consistent over the years.

It appears as though a new family might be running the place. The cashier/hostesses are different, the older gentlemen running the floor was new(er), the black and white uniforms are now black and blue, but the waitresses and the recipes seem to be the same.

Unlike JoelF, I've always liked the salsa there. Not the standard red or green, its a warmed "orange" with a little bit of heat.

I had one of my staples, the skirt steak quebrada, which is the steak covered in this salsa, then cheese melted over it. Tasted the same as it has for a decade.

One of the first spots that LTH turned us onto from reading the GNR's at the time.
    Bill-Aurora
  • Post #7 - July 26th, 2018, 10:35 am
    Post #7 - July 26th, 2018, 10:35 am Post #7 - July 26th, 2018, 10:35 am
    I needed lunch in Aurora yesterday. Tacos at La Quebrada hit the spot: one each of al pastor, cecina and carne asada. The cecina was my favorite but all were good, especially with the fantastic house-made tortillas.
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more