LTH Home

Mobile Issues - please post them here

Mobile Issues - please post them here
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Mobile Issues - please post them here

Post #1 - January 20th, 2016, 8:47 am
    Post #1 - January 20th, 2016, 8:47 am Post #1 - January 20th, 2016, 8:47 am
    On both mobile and the desktop versions, when I open a thread in "view unread posts", it takes me to the first post in the thread, versus to the first unread post--for long threads, it's time consuming to have to go to the last page and start scrolling. Is this something that can be adjusted back to the way it used to be?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #2 - January 20th, 2016, 9:36 am
    Post #2 - January 20th, 2016, 9:36 am Post #2 - January 20th, 2016, 9:36 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:On both mobile and the desktop versions, when I open a thread in "view unread posts", it takes me to the first post in the thread, versus to the first unread post--for long threads, it's time consuming to have to go to the last page and start scrolling. Is this something that can be adjusted back to the way it used to be?

boudreaulicious-

Look for the grey arrow icon above the thread title in your list of results. Clicking on that will bring you to the first unread post in the thread. (If I was smarter, I'd attach a screenshot.)
    -Mary
  • Post #3 - January 20th, 2016, 11:30 am
    Post #3 - January 20th, 2016, 11:30 am Post #3 - January 20th, 2016, 11:30 am
    The GP wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:On both mobile and the desktop versions, when I open a thread in "view unread posts", it takes me to the first post in the thread, versus to the first unread post--for long threads, it's time consuming to have to go to the last page and start scrolling. Is this something that can be adjusted back to the way it used to be?

boudreaulicious-

Look for the grey arrow icon above the thread title in your list of results. Clicking on that will bring you to the first unread post in the thread. (If I was smarter, I'd attach a screenshot.)

Nope. Not seeing it. I'm on my phone if that's helpful.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - January 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm
    Post #4 - January 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm Post #4 - January 20th, 2016, 7:50 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    The GP wrote:

boudreaulicious-

Nope. Not seeing it. I'm on my phone if that's helpful.

This icon doesn't seem to appear on the moble version.
  • Post #5 - January 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    Post #5 - January 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm Post #5 - January 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm
    Darren72 wrote:

No one has responded to this but I hope it hasn't been missed--it's really difficult to use the site when you have to scroll through to find new posts. Especially now that the pages have so little content on them due to the larger (and, apparently, not adjustable) typeface.
  • Post #6 - January 20th, 2016, 8:55 pm
    Post #6 - January 20th, 2016, 8:55 pm Post #6 - January 20th, 2016, 8:55 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:

No one has responded to this but I hope it hasn't been missed--it's really difficult to use the site when you have to scroll through to find new posts. Especially now that the pages have so little content on them due to the larger (and, apparently, not adjustable) typeface.

Nothing has been missed...I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
  • Post #7 - January 20th, 2016, 9:15 pm
    Post #7 - January 20th, 2016, 9:15 pm Post #7 - January 20th, 2016, 9:15 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:

+1 on the missing icons on the mobile version using Chrome on my Samsung Galaxy. When I view new posts, there's no way to click the little arrow icon because it doesn't appear.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - January 20th, 2016, 11:06 pm
    Post #8 - January 20th, 2016, 11:06 pm Post #8 - January 20th, 2016, 11:06 pm
    Hi,

We are aware that several features are missing from the mobile version (or not working correctly) and plan to address them asap. Please post all mobile issues with the redesign in this thread and remember to include your phone type and browser.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #9 - January 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm
    Post #9 - January 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm Post #9 - January 20th, 2016, 11:33 pm
    iPhone 5s, chrome
  • Post #10 - January 21st, 2016, 6:14 am
    Post #10 - January 21st, 2016, 6:14 am Post #10 - January 21st, 2016, 6:14 am
    I'm also having the same issue on my iPad and Mac running Chrome.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #11 - January 21st, 2016, 8:14 am
    Post #11 - January 21st, 2016, 8:14 am Post #11 - January 21st, 2016, 8:14 am
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, Android 4.4, Chrome, the links for items such as "Mark Topics Read" are only visible if the device is held landscape.

Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.1.1, Chrome, the same links aren't visible in either orientation.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - January 21st, 2016, 9:01 am
    Post #12 - January 21st, 2016, 9:01 am Post #12 - January 21st, 2016, 9:01 am
    I will get to the issues being raised in this thread as soon as I can.

However, there are many elements that are purposefully omitted from the mobile site. It is not possible to retain all the functionality while providing a usable mobile experience.

To make this discussion as productive as possible, let's focus on what specific functionality is desired on mobile and its importance.

Thanks!
  • Post #13 - January 21st, 2016, 9:13 am
    Post #13 - January 21st, 2016, 9:13 am Post #13 - January 21st, 2016, 9:13 am
    I think this feature should be a high priority--I know it will significantly impact my use of the site if it's not restored.

Scrolling endlessly looking for new posts is not a pleasant experience.
  • Post #14 - January 21st, 2016, 9:18 am
    Post #14 - January 21st, 2016, 9:18 am Post #14 - January 21st, 2016, 9:18 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:I think this feature should be a high priority--I know it will significantly impact my use of the site if it's not restored.

Scrolling endlessly looking for new posts is not a pleasant experience.

Jen - I agree that of the several issues raised in this thread, being taken to the first post rather than the first unread post is the most important.

I haven't delved into it yet, but my intention when coding the page was to send folks to the first unread post. I do recall it working that way - I wonder how it got screwed up.
  • Post #15 - January 21st, 2016, 9:23 am
    Post #15 - January 21st, 2016, 9:23 am Post #15 - January 21st, 2016, 9:23 am
    I don't either--since this is the only way I ever read posts on the site, I know I tested it when it was in beta and I certainly would've said something if it didn't work. Sorry--hoping we didn't let you down here :(
  • Post #16 - January 29th, 2016, 9:30 pm
    Post #16 - January 29th, 2016, 9:30 pm Post #16 - January 29th, 2016, 9:30 pm
    image.png Text being cut off
    iPhone 6 with Chrome: if I'm holding the phone normally (portrait orientation) the site adapts to screen width on some pages but not others. For example, in the Openings & Goings thread, the text cuts off approx. halfway across the page.

If I physically rotate my phone to landscape, it views fine.

I assume the page is meant to be adaptive width, which is why I bring this up. I've attempted to upload a photo as an example.
  • Post #17 - January 29th, 2016, 9:42 pm
    Post #17 - January 29th, 2016, 9:42 pm Post #17 - January 29th, 2016, 9:42 pm
    mailsf wrote:
    image.png
    iPhone 6 with Chrome: if I'm holding the phone normally (portrait orientation) the site adapts to screen width on some pages but not others. For example, in the Openings & Goings thread, the text cuts off approx. halfway across the page.

If I physically rotate my phone to landscape, it views fine.

I assume the page is meant to be adaptive width, which is why I bring this up. I've attempted to upload a photo as an example.

This is still an issue for me--and sometimes rotating to landscape fixes while other times it doesn't. Really making it hard to read a lot of threads.
  • Post #18 - March 6th, 2016, 9:43 am
    Post #18 - March 6th, 2016, 9:43 am Post #18 - March 6th, 2016, 9:43 am
    I am getting this issue as well. I read LTH on my iPhone about 80% of the time, and am often trying to read the Beyond Chicagoland forum while traveling.

iPhone 6S, Mobile Safari, iOS version 9.2.1 (13D15).

Many members in older posts will paste an entire raw URL into the post.

This is causing wrapping issues on mobile - and is exacerbated when another member quotes the same post with a long raw URL.

• Post #19 - November 28th, 2017, 6:26 pm
    Post #19 - November 28th, 2017, 6:26 pm Post #19 - November 28th, 2017, 6:26 pm
    I'm using Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S3 (don't laugh).

I can't find the "Mark forums read" option in either portrait or landscape mode. Am I missing it or is it not available?

Thanks.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #20 - November 29th, 2017, 2:52 pm
    Post #20 - November 29th, 2017, 2:52 pm Post #20 - November 29th, 2017, 2:52 pm
    Katie wrote:I'm using Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S3 (don't laugh).

I can't find the "Mark forums read" option in either portrait or landscape mode. Am I missing it or is it not available?

Thanks.

Hi Katie,

This feature is not available on mobile versions of the site.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide