LTH Home

u pick cherries?

u pick cherries?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • u pick cherries?

Post #1 - July 1st, 2006, 9:06 pm
    Post #1 - July 1st, 2006, 9:06 pm Post #1 - July 1st, 2006, 9:06 pm
    We'd like to go pick sweet cherries this Friday the 7th of July. I did a search for Michigan U-Picks but only got farms in Berrien and Allegan counties. Is this the closest we can expect? A few years back we picked at Stover's and it was lovely but it took a while (2+ hours) to get up there. If that's the closest, we're certainly willing to make the trek, but with toddlers in tow, if anyone knows someplace closer, oh how we'd appreciate it!

thanks in advance.

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #2 - July 1st, 2006, 10:34 pm
    Post #2 - July 1st, 2006, 10:34 pm Post #2 - July 1st, 2006, 10:34 pm
    Try this website:
    http://www.pickyourown.org/index.htm

In particular, this place might work for you - The Garden Patch in Homer Glen:
    http://www.pickyourown.org/PYO.php?URL= ... hfarms.com

Please report back, as I would love to do some summer picking, too.
  • Post #3 - July 1st, 2006, 11:38 pm
    Post #3 - July 1st, 2006, 11:38 pm Post #3 - July 1st, 2006, 11:38 pm
    HI,

I posted this cherry resource last year. I recommend phoning in advance to see what is the status, then please advise us by updating the original post.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - July 2nd, 2006, 9:16 pm
    Post #4 - July 2nd, 2006, 9:16 pm Post #4 - July 2nd, 2006, 9:16 pm
    Considering that Berrien County is in the southwest corner of Michigan, there is nowhere else in Michigan that can be closer to Chicago. Much of Berrien County, MI, is closer than LaPorte Co., IN, which also has some u pick operations.
  • Post #5 - July 5th, 2006, 9:28 am
    Post #5 - July 5th, 2006, 9:28 am Post #5 - July 5th, 2006, 9:28 am
    calling ahead of time. we picked cherries just south of south haven this weekend, and i found that there are many places (esp. in south haven county) that don't have cherries because of frost this year.
  • Post #6 - July 5th, 2006, 9:53 am
    Post #6 - July 5th, 2006, 9:53 am Post #6 - July 5th, 2006, 9:53 am
    I just bought some Ccherries in St. Joseph, Michigan at Nye's Farm Market which is located off of I-94 exit 26(?) Hwy. 63. They were great tasting and flavorful.. Berrien County is a good shot for a one day trip.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #7 - July 5th, 2006, 1:50 pm
    Post #7 - July 5th, 2006, 1:50 pm Post #7 - July 5th, 2006, 1:50 pm
    It appears I never got around to following up on the board, but we went to Oriole Springs last year (as recommended by Cathy) and I'd highly recommend it.
  • Post #8 - June 23rd, 2010, 2:26 pm
    Post #8 - June 23rd, 2010, 2:26 pm Post #8 - June 23rd, 2010, 2:26 pm
    Hi I am visiting my sister in Coloma, Michigan for a few days right now, and I am heading back to Chicago tomorrow morning. My sister just informed me that because of all the hot weather we have been having and the tons of rain they have been getting the last week, the cherry crop is early and not very long this year. My sister expects her upick sweet cherry operation to only be open for another week at the most. She will still be upicking sour cherries through the 4th. They are open everyday during cherry season for upick from 10:00am-5:00pm. When upick peaches start in July they will only be open for upick on the weekends. We do not raise strawberries, but she told me that the strawberry crop is done for the year in SW Michigan, also because of the rain and hot weather. Her fruitstand is located right off of exit 39 of I-94, and her upick cherry field is located a little over a mile South of there. She also sells her cherries at her fruit stand. Her is the link to her website: http://fruitacresfarms.com Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 12:51 am
    Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 12:51 am Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 12:51 am
    Hi- I talked to my sister today, and she reports that she is done upicking sweet cherries. She still has some sours to upick. She told me that one day last week she got 4 inches of rain, and another day she got 2 inches. Sweet cherries have a tendency to crack when they get lots of rain, and so her crop is going to be way smaller this year. By the time she sorts out the cracked cherries, she only has a quarter of a crop of sweets that she can sell. The cracked cherries are perfectly edible, but most people want perfect fruit. I noticed that the sweet cherries that I bought at the Evanston market tasted good, but they were on the soft side because of all the rain.

My sister is fortunate though that she does have a full crop of sour cherries, peaches, plums and apples. A lot of the growers aren't so fortunate.
  • Post #10 - June 20th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Post #10 - June 20th, 2023, 3:02 pm Post #10 - June 20th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Hi- My Sister Annette is going to start upicking sweet cherries this Friday 6/23. She has more cherries than she had last year. They are $4.99 a pound for upick, or $5.99 a pound for already picked cherries that she sells at her fruit stand. Yes, I know Jewel has them for $1.88 a pound this weekend, but her cherries are way better, and they keep way longer. She will have upick sweet cherries for 7-10 days, and next week she will have upick sour cherries for about four days. Her fruit stand is located at exit 39 on I-94, which is the Coloma exit in SW Michigan, and her upick cherries are South of the fruit stand, and about a mile and a quarter from the fruit stand. You go South to Carmody Road, and make a left, and you go another quarter mile. She is going to have upick peaches next month too. She usually just has upick peaches and apples on the weekends. Here is a link to her website.
    https://www.fruitacresfarm.com/

There are several people here who have upicked on her farm, and have enjoyed it. She does not get into the gimmicks such as animals or ferris wheels. Somebody down the road from her is much more gimmicky. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more