LTH Home

Request for PYO Apple Orchards recomendations

Request for PYO Apple Orchards recomendations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - October 1st, 2008, 11:09 am
    Post #31 - October 1st, 2008, 11:09 am Post #31 - October 1st, 2008, 11:09 am
    We went to Harvest time in Twin Lakes Wi this Year.
    (just over the state line from Antioch)
    They seem to be in process of changing thir name to Oriole Springs.

A nice selection of high quality apples at fair prices.
    $18 for 1/2 bushel,
    $10 for 1/4

the farm are had a playground, animals,
    cider at $6/gallon, donuts, brats, hotdugs, etc.
    http://www.myharvesttime.com/

even though they said their honeycrisp were picked out the weekend we were there,
    we did find some on the trees.

We also got fabulous cortlands and galas.

The only goofy thing was the entrance for the picking orchard is separate from the farmstand, and you "can't get there from here"
    We wanted to eat first so we had to drive completely thru the orchards and out , waiting for cars to pay in order to go get brats because it wasn't well marked that there was a different entrance for the smokehouse and farm store which was further down the road.

Still enjoying the apples!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #32 - September 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm
    Post #32 - September 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm Post #32 - September 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm
    Any recommendations for 2009?
  • Post #33 - September 29th, 2009, 6:06 pm
    Post #33 - September 29th, 2009, 6:06 pm Post #33 - September 29th, 2009, 6:06 pm
    Tried Apples on Oak this year, convenient because of the new I-355 Spur (word to the wise, make sure your GPS has been updated recently, we spent an extra 25 minutes driving over from 55 because ours didn't have the spur on it. It was kind of comical to watch the GPS panic on the way home, though) near the intersection of Gougar Road and Oak Avenue in Joliet, turn at the Llama farm (sorry, I was too slow with the camera)

This orchard is basically somebody's backyard gone amuck; it's right in the middle of a sleepy little subdivision.
    You can see the brand-new trees close to the road, but most of the trees behind the house are quite large and all were loaded down with apples (though the website indicates that at this point they're close to picked out, always call first!) You park in the family's driveway, walk past their house
    and grab a bag and go to it: $22 for a large bag, $1.50/lb for Asian pears (well worth it)

They practice a low-spray philosophy, but that does mean that some apples come with hitchhikers! There are many varieties I'd never heard of, but not a lot of Japanese - no Mutsu/Crispin/Senchus :( and the Fujis were picked out much earlier in the season. One of the nicer aspects of this place, though, is that it's very do-it-yourself: various apple-picking implements are left around for you to use at your own risk. Sparky and his buddy really enjoyed themselves.

Image Image

16146 W. Oak Ave
    Joliet, IL 60432
    (815) 726-0386
  • Post #34 - October 4th, 2009, 4:05 pm
    Post #34 - October 4th, 2009, 4:05 pm Post #34 - October 4th, 2009, 4:05 pm
    Mhays wrote:Two or three years back, we happened upon an apple orchard on the north side of Chicago, not more than a 30 minute drive from Evanston. It was spang in the middle of a subdivision, run by a little old couple who were just darling. They had several plots and several different kinds of apples. Anybody know where it was? We can't seem to find it.

I'm pretty sure I found it! A mom I was chatting with over Sparky's swimming class mentioned a place in Libertyville - and there it is, Heinz orchards, mentioned earlier by kafein and jblth. I haven't been, but I'm so glad it still seems to be there! Sadly, no Mutsus (I really miss them: the other varieties we picked really don't shine in pie the way Mutsus did) Somehow, it hadn't made it on my map, but it's there now!
  • Post #35 - October 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    Post #35 - October 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm Post #35 - October 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    Hitting Honey Hill Orchards in Waterman for the 2nd year in a row this Saturday, they have raspberries, apples, and pumpkins for picking. They also have a petting zoo, and other fun stuff for the kids.

www.honeyhillorchards.com
  • Post #36 - October 7th, 2009, 10:35 am
    Post #36 - October 7th, 2009, 10:35 am Post #36 - October 7th, 2009, 10:35 am
    We hit Honey Hill in Waterman on 9/27 on the way home from Peoria, it was a madhouse! There might have been something special going on because it seemed like there were large groups. This was about 1:30 on a pretty nice Sunday so maybe if you go a little earlier you will have some space and be able to enjoy it. We wound up leaving right away.
  • Post #37 - October 7th, 2009, 11:56 am
    Post #37 - October 7th, 2009, 11:56 am Post #37 - October 7th, 2009, 11:56 am
    LikestoEatout wrote:We hit Honey Hill in Waterman on 9/27 on the way home from Peoria, it was a madhouse! There might have been something special going on because it seemed like there were large groups. This was about 1:30 on a pretty nice Sunday so maybe if you go a little earlier you will have some space and be able to enjoy it. We wound up leaving right away.

thanks for the heads up, we are meeting my mom there around 11:00, I saw on their website this is one of the first weekends for pumpkin picking. Maybe the mid 40's temps will keep the crowds under control.

for lunch we are going to sandwich and trying Kellys Pub(an old Pullman Palace train car turned into a pub).

http://www.kellyspubonline.com
  • Post #38 - October 7th, 2009, 12:22 pm
    Post #38 - October 7th, 2009, 12:22 pm Post #38 - October 7th, 2009, 12:22 pm
    You'll have to report on Kelly's, we drive by it enough times but I think it's not workable for me to get in to. Looks interesting. Also there is a small winery just south of Honey Hill on the other side of the road, their wines aren't terribly good but we did buy their spiced wine that we enjoyed at Thanksgiving with my family. They have a tasting room in the barn.
  • Post #39 - October 7th, 2009, 12:24 pm
    Post #39 - October 7th, 2009, 12:24 pm Post #39 - October 7th, 2009, 12:24 pm
    I have passed by Kelly's alot as well, finally going to stop in. Ill post about it for sure.

May order a corned beef and sauerkraut Boxtie for the table to try.
  • Post #40 - October 11th, 2009, 8:19 am
    Post #40 - October 11th, 2009, 8:19 am Post #40 - October 11th, 2009, 8:19 am
    Honey Hills Orchards was pretty busy for a cold Saturday, We were able to get a couple pumpkins @ $.25/LB. One of which is a 22 Lb. Monster. Also 3# of raspberries @ $5.99 Lb. It was too cold and muddy for us to want to go apple picking, so we opted for the prepicked apples in the farm store. I got 1/2 peck of Jonathan Apples for $9.95, and my mom got 1/2 peck of Golden delicious for $11.

The petting zoo was fun as always, and overall it was agood time

The raspberries will go into a peach/raspberry cobbler I am doing today.

• Post #41 - September 4th, 2010, 10:01 am
    Post #41 - September 4th, 2010, 10:01 am Post #41 - September 4th, 2010, 10:01 am
    Any new suggestions for 2010?? Super endorsements for last year's picks? With the Jewish holidays being so early this year, I'm hoping there SOMEplace that has apples already, maybe for picking on Monday.
  • Post #42 - September 6th, 2010, 5:04 am
    Post #42 - September 6th, 2010, 5:04 am Post #42 - September 6th, 2010, 5:04 am
    We went to Kuiper's in Maple Park and Jonamac in Malta yesterday, both have a lot to pick or already pre-bagged in their stores. Kuiper's was too busy so we left, they were having a special event going on and it was just a little too crazy. From Joanamac, drive south for a bit to view the ever expanding wind farms that dominate the skyline.
  • Post #43 - September 17th, 2010, 8:28 am
    Post #43 - September 17th, 2010, 8:28 am Post #43 - September 17th, 2010, 8:28 am
    We went to Oriole Springs up in Twin Lakes, WI last year and really liked it. We went on October 4, and we didn't know what was ready on the schedule that day--we just wanted to get out to pick apples--and there were tons of honey crisps left, and it didn't seem that people were out picking in that area while we were there. I don't know what the scheduled picking day for honeycrisp was last year, but i seem to remember being surprised that there were any left, so maybe i knew the scheduled day had already passed?

So, I called them just now and they say honeycrisp starts tomorrow (9/18) and will last a few hours. Was it an anomaly that there were so many left last year a few weeks later in the season, and I should truck out there tomorrow morning if I want some? Or is there a good chance I'd still find some in a week or two?
  • Post #44 - September 28th, 2010, 1:18 pm
    Post #44 - September 28th, 2010, 1:18 pm Post #44 - September 28th, 2010, 1:18 pm
    Went to Lang's orchard on Woodstock this past Saturday. It was somewhat disappointing, as they were picking only Red and Golden Delicious. However, we picked up some no-sugar preserves, which can be hard-to-find, especially cherry and raspberry, strawberry, or blueberry, each with rhubarb.

The REAL find was a PYO Vegetable patch, also in Woodstock. We picked an overflowing bushel basket of mixed peppers (jalapeño, poblano, banana, sweet, and cherry), tomaotes (red, cherry, plum, and green), tomatillos, and eggplant. All this cost $14, plus $3 for the basket.

Highly recommended!
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #45 - September 28th, 2010, 1:20 pm
    Post #45 - September 28th, 2010, 1:20 pm Post #45 - September 28th, 2010, 1:20 pm
    Forgot the address:

Coebbert's Pick-your-own Vegetables

@ the intersection of IL 176 and County Rd. 15/Franklinville Rd.

Woodstock, IL
  • Post #46 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
    Post #46 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm Post #46 - October 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
    Hi- Last year, there were more apples than the local growers could sell, and some apples went unpicked. This year, the apple crop was affected by a few frosts we had in April, and so the crop is smaller. My sister in Michigan is still upicking apples. She has red and golden delicious, empire and cortland to upick, and she has more variaties available at her farm market. She is only open for upick on Saturdays and Sundays, and I would call her to make sure that she still has upick apples available before you drive out there. She did have upick honeycrisp a few weeks ago, but all her honeycrisp are done for the year. She has wonderful apple cider that she presses herself, available at her fruit stand. She uses the same recipe for her apple cider every year, so it is always good, whereas most of the people that sell at the farmer's markets use whatever apples they have left over. Her fruit stand is open on Friday through Monday during the fall. She is always open through Halloween.

She is located right off of exit 39 of I-94 at Coloma, and there are also several wineries, and a fudge shop, and a wonderful chocolate truffle kitchen at the same exit.

You can view her website at: http://fruitacresfarms.com
    Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #47 - October 3rd, 2010, 3:35 am
    Post #47 - October 3rd, 2010, 3:35 am Post #47 - October 3rd, 2010, 3:35 am
    Josephine wrote:Forgot the address:

Coebbert's Pick-your-own Vegetables

@ the intersection of IL 176 and County Rd. 15/Franklinville Rd.

Woodstock, IL

Sounds great-- my daughter went on a pumpkin patch field trip to Goebberts-- any relation?
    Jen
  • Post #48 - October 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm
    Post #48 - October 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm Post #48 - October 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm
    Despite the dire predictions of the Tribune, there is apple picking for at least one more week at Garwood Orchard. in LaPorte, IN. Not only do they have apples, but also u-pick vegetables - right now, tomatoes, eggplant and peppers.

The place is huge and the trees are mature; there isn't much agritainment: a pony ride and tractor/wagon rides...and I have to admit, the live band was a bit odd, though I think that was just this weekend.

Garwood has stands at the Daley Plaza farmers market and a couple others in the City. Nice to verify that their food is from their farm.
  • Post #49 - October 16th, 2010, 5:48 pm
    Post #49 - October 16th, 2010, 5:48 pm Post #49 - October 16th, 2010, 5:48 pm
    I think that the Chicago Tribune thinks the world ends at the end of the Pace Bus service.
    3 miles north of Elkhorn Wisc on Sugar Creek Rd the Apple Barn still has apples.Elkhorn is just over the Illinois border from Richmond Ill.
  • Post #50 - October 22nd, 2010, 1:23 pm
    Post #50 - October 22nd, 2010, 1:23 pm Post #50 - October 22nd, 2010, 1:23 pm
    Just returned from a nice drive along the Rock River from Dixon to Oregon, IlL. and on the way home stopped at Jonamac Orchards in Malta. Although their pick your own season is now over, there are plenty of all varieties of apples in their store along with the usual pies, cookies and donuts baked fresh daily. The maze was going strong too, at noon several bus loads of school kids showed up for their big and mini mazes.
  • Post #51 - October 12th, 2011, 8:32 am
    Post #51 - October 12th, 2011, 8:32 am Post #51 - October 12th, 2011, 8:32 am
    Pics from last year at Coebbert's. For inspiration.
    photo.JPG on Flickr[/img]

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more