LTH Home

Compost drop off?

Compost drop off?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Compost drop off?

Post #1 - October 19th, 2014, 4:21 pm
    Post #1 - October 19th, 2014, 4:21 pm Post #1 - October 19th, 2014, 4:21 pm
    Does anyone know anyplace that accepts drop offs of compost material? I have soil and dead tomato plants filling up about 3 ~25-gallon containers on my apartment's back porch. I'm not going to be able to reuse the soil next summer and don't have a yard, so I would love to find a place to compost it all.

I checked the Resource Center webpage, but it's unclear whether I can drop it off there. I will email them as well, but figured I'd check to see if there may be other options. Thanks!
  • Post #2 - December 26th, 2014, 4:30 pm
    Post #2 - December 26th, 2014, 4:30 pm Post #2 - December 26th, 2014, 4:30 pm
    Let me know if you do. I've got a worm bin full of wonderful soil, but nowhere to spread it!
  • Post #3 - December 26th, 2014, 5:32 pm
    Post #3 - December 26th, 2014, 5:32 pm Post #3 - December 26th, 2014, 5:32 pm
    Hi- I think the Resource Center only lets commercial companies such as landscapers drop stuff off, and they charge a fee. For the worm bin full of compost, I bet you someone here would take it off your hands to use in their garden. If you were close to me, I would be interested, but I live in Evanston, and right now I have car problems, and I am going to have to take my car to the mechanic Monday or Tuesday.

For the person who has the tomato plants, if you live in an apartment building in the city, see if they have a yard waste bin. They might now have it out this time of year though. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #4 - December 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm
    Post #4 - December 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm Post #4 - December 26th, 2014, 5:55 pm
    I can certainly take a good bit of compost/soil/not junk but whatever can be spread in a garden @ my place in Roscoe Village. There is easy access through the alley to a couple of bins in the breezeway. Just let me know when you're coming so I can leash the ferocious beast of a dog. I'll be very grateful for any contributions. In the past I was able to reciporate with fresh herbs and such. The herbs are pretty much done aside from a bit of thyme and sage, so let me know and I'll see what I can find.
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #5 - January 13th, 2015, 11:07 pm
    Post #5 - January 13th, 2015, 11:07 pm Post #5 - January 13th, 2015, 11:07 pm
    My sister used to take her compost to the community garden at Waters School on Campbell and Sunnyside. They maintain a pretty good-sized fenced-in compost area and I assume they still take donations.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more