LTH Home

Black cherry tomatoe plants?

Black cherry tomatoe plants?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Black cherry tomatoe plants?

Post #1 - May 29th, 2013, 3:24 pm
    Post #1 - May 29th, 2013, 3:24 pm Post #1 - May 29th, 2013, 3:24 pm
    Hi- I grew a black cherry tomato plant last year that I loved. It is a large cherry tomato, and it is not super sweet, but it has a rich tomato taste. People that love super sweet tomatoes don't care for it, but people like me that don't care for ultra sweet tomatoes usually love it. I bought my one plant last year at Anton's. They had it this year, because I saw it when I bought my broccoli plants last week. I was just there yesterday to buy tomato plants, and they are out of it. Has anybody seen it around anywhere else? I know that Henry's sister had it for sale at the Evanston farmer's market, but she wanted $6 for one plant. I am going to check there again this Saturday, and see if she still has any, but has anybody seen it anywhere else. Does Nichols carry it? Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #2 - May 29th, 2013, 3:28 pm
    Post #2 - May 29th, 2013, 3:28 pm Post #2 - May 29th, 2013, 3:28 pm
    I am fairly sure that Dave & Denise from Leaning Shed had a black cherry tomato plant at the Green City market last weekend....
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #3 - May 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm
    Post #3 - May 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm Post #3 - May 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm
    Hi- Thanks for the quick reply, but Green City Market is a little bit far for me. I have to be in Glenview at 9:00am this Saturday anyway, and I will just have problems finding the time to hit the Evanston market this Saturday morning. If I make it there, I will check out Teresa and Nichols to see if they have it. I want to get some asparagus anyway. I love asparagus, and it is probably only going to be around for another two or three weeks anyway.

Apparently Bonny plant company sells Black Cherry tomato plants too, and I might break down and buy it at Menards if they have it there. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #4 - May 29th, 2013, 4:40 pm
    Post #4 - May 29th, 2013, 4:40 pm Post #4 - May 29th, 2013, 4:40 pm
    Nancy, have you considered calling around ahead of time, including to Nichols, so you avoid chasing around the north shore? I don't remember seeing this at Nichols at the GCM, but if you call ahead, you may find out that they indeed have some but weren't going to bring it to the market.
  • Post #5 - May 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm
    Post #5 - May 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm Post #5 - May 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm
    Hi- I am going to the farmer's market this Saturday anyway, and so I will check with Teresa and Nichol's while I am there. I am also going to be near Menards next Monday, and I wanted to go in there any way. I am not going to do a wild goose chase looking for the plant. I just thought that maybe somebody could tell me if Nichols had it or maybe Jewel. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #6 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:19 pm
    Post #6 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:19 pm Post #6 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:19 pm
    I am growing a black cherry tomato plant for the first time this year. I bought mine at Walmart in Forest Park. They had several when I picked mine up just over a week ago.
  • Post #7 - June 3rd, 2013, 8:56 pm
    Post #7 - June 3rd, 2013, 8:56 pm Post #7 - June 3rd, 2013, 8:56 pm
    Hi- I am happy to report that I was able to make it to the Evanston farmer's market on Saturday, and I got the last black cherry plant that Teresa had, and all her veggie plants were 50% off, and so it only cost me $3. Thanks for all the help though.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more