LTH Home

Source for inexpensive small herb plants (party favors)?

Source for inexpensive small herb plants (party favors)?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Source for inexpensive small herb plants (party favors)?

Post #1 - April 30th, 2013, 10:46 pm
    Post #1 - April 30th, 2013, 10:46 pm Post #1 - April 30th, 2013, 10:46 pm
    Hi, I'm in charge of a charity brunch at which we'd like to put small herb plants at each seat, sort of a favor type thing. Of course I need them soon, no idea what a little plant would even go for, hoping for $3 ish. I'm in Northbrook but am willing to drive to the city and maybe near west suburbs if someone has recommendation. Or close to the north shore would be nice. I will need about 25-30 plants.

Any suggestions? I did try to search but didn't do it well if a similar thread exists already. Thanks.
  • Post #2 - May 1st, 2013, 5:33 am
    Post #2 - May 1st, 2013, 5:33 am Post #2 - May 1st, 2013, 5:33 am
    Probably alot further south than you'd like but at least it can serve as a point of reference--I just bought mine at Stone's in Ford Heights (Rt 30 just East of 394)--all small containers were $1.39 each.
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on May 1st, 2013, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #3 - May 1st, 2013, 6:19 am
    Post #3 - May 1st, 2013, 6:19 am Post #3 - May 1st, 2013, 6:19 am
    There are a lot of ideas in this thread on garden centers: http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24498

Depending on how large of a plant you want, you shouldn't have a problem finding them for $3. You can probably find some place closer and less expensive, but Chalet has good stuff.
  • Post #4 - May 1st, 2013, 8:50 am
    Post #4 - May 1st, 2013, 8:50 am Post #4 - May 1st, 2013, 8:50 am
    The thread Darren72 linked mentions Anton's Greenhouse in Evanston.

Anton's Greenhouse
    1126 Pitner Ave.
    Evanston, IL 60202
    (847) 864-1134
    -Mary
  • Post #5 - May 1st, 2013, 1:57 pm
    Post #5 - May 1st, 2013, 1:57 pm Post #5 - May 1st, 2013, 1:57 pm
    Hi- I am not sure how much they would charge, but both the Evanston and Wilmette farmer's market are going to be open this Saturday. The Evanston market is much larger than the Wilmette one is, and is a much better market. You can also go to Anton's in Evanston like somebody suggested, and get them for under $3. If you get a dozen, you get a discount there, and if you tell them that they are for charity, the owner might sell them to you cheaper. I buy most of my plants there, and the owner Gary Anton is really nice. They have been in business for years. Just call them up before you show up. They are off of Dempster, between Dodge and McCormick. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #6 - May 1st, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Post #6 - May 1st, 2013, 3:57 pm Post #6 - May 1st, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Thanks all, greatly appreciate it!
  • Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm
    Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm Post #7 - May 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm
    If you need that many you'll probably need either a garden center or to pre-order from one of the farms to pick up at the Evanston farmer's market. Most would be able to do this for you. Henry's Farm has herbs from Theresa and since they are one of the most Southern farms coming up, they often have things earlier or larger than other farms do at the same time (and end things earlier in the season too, for the same reason)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #8 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:10 pm
    Post #8 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:10 pm Post #8 - May 2nd, 2013, 2:10 pm
    Hi- Theresa Has wonderful stuff, but I doubt that you can purchase her herbs for $3. Henry and Theresa send out a combined email on Thursday evenings, telling everybody what they are bringing to the market that Saturday. You can also check on their website on Friday. There are other growers that sell potted herbs there that are cheaper, and would give you a discount if you bought a lot. I am sure that John First would give you a discount for a large purchase, and because his plants are not certified organic, you could get them for $3 or less. He uses integrated pest management on his farm. John's mother comes to Wilmette too. Nichols will also possibly give you a deal on a large purchase of herb plants. If you don't need the plants this week, maybe you can talk to some of the growers, and ask if they can give you a deal for another week. The Evanston farmers market this Saturday is going to primarily be bedding plants, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach, radishes, rhubarb and green onions, You are going to mostly find asparagus, mushrooms, and bedding plants. The rest of the stuff such as spinach, is going to run out early. There might be some other greens there such as mesclun, but I would not count on it. Last year there was, but only because of the unusually warm Spring we had last year.

If you are going to hit any garden centers such as Anton's, I would recommend calling them up first to make sure that they have what you are looking for, and to ask about pricing. Do not waste your time with Chalet. They are not going to give you a good deal. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #9 - May 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am
    Post #9 - May 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am Post #9 - May 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am
    Thanks all, Gary at Anton's is helping me out, I will pick them up Saturday afternoon. Greatly appreciate the suggestions...I remember buying these for pennies for a luncheon years ago and haven't paid much attention recently!

PS, where IS the Evanston farmers market geographically? Thanks!
  • Post #10 - May 3rd, 2013, 8:10 am
    Post #10 - May 3rd, 2013, 8:10 am Post #10 - May 3rd, 2013, 8:10 am
    sujormik wrote:Thanks all, Gary at Anton's is helping me out, I will pick them up Saturday afternoon. Greatly appreciate the suggestions...I remember buying these for pennies for a luncheon years ago and haven't paid much attention recently!

PS, where IS the Evanston farmers market geographically? Thanks!

From the City of Evanston page:

Farmers' Market
    The Downtown Evanston Market opens May 4

This market will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. every Saturday from May 4 through November 2.
    Location: Intersection of University Place and Oak Ave. (behind Hilton Garden Inn, east of East Railroad Ave.)
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more