LTH Home

The last day of summer...covered in raspberries

The last day of summer...covered in raspberries
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The last day of summer...covered in raspberries

- October 6th, 2013, 8:52 am
    - October 6th, 2013, 8:52 am Post #1 - October 6th, 2013, 8:52 am
    Hi,

I was twice this year at U-Pick raspberries in Kingston, Illinois.

In July, it was hunt and pick for those illusive berries. Coming at the end of the day on Saturday, when others came much early made quite a difference in yield. All the easy-to-pick berries had already been taken. Where I found mine were those hidden by leaves at the base.

Yesterday was a far different story, it was more like shooting fish in a barrel. There were so many ripe berries, the challenge was where to begin. I would pluck 5-6 berries from a branch, then find many more branches nearby heavy with fruit. In pouring rain, I collected 2.5 pints in a short period of time.

I then met razbry and family at a local church for dinner of roast pork, sauerkraut, green beans with bacon, mashed potatoes, apple sauce and cranberry sauce.

I might have gone back for a little more berry picking, but my companion wasn't as eager.

Certainly, I will look to come back in late September or early October next year for berry picking. It was truly a bonanza of berries.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more