Home Cookin'

Lead Moderator
Posted May 4th 2008, 9:36am
Weed Feed
Sunday May 18, 1:00-4:00 pm, Glenwood Children's Park, Madison
Sponsored by the Dudgeon-Monroe and Westmoreland neighborhood associations, this garlic mustard pull teaches how to "eat the problem" of the terribly invasive and destructive garlic mustard menace. Come pull weeds and enjoy garlic mustard specialties created by Peter Robertson of RP's Pasta and Barbara Wright of the Dardanelles. For more info, contact Peter Nause at pan@secondnature.biz or 206-1463.

Garlic mustard plants are indeed a problem. So what do people cook with them, because they are certainly easy to obtain. To sort of begin the conversation, I found:

All About Garlic Mustard, which notes the tap root is spicy!
More information on Garlic Mustard

Pesto
Garlic Mustard Ravioli

Beyond garlic mustard, I found:

An index of invasive plant recipes courtesy of The Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council
Wild (and not so wild) recipes

I'm sure there are more and better recipes out there, what have you made or found?

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Lead Moderator
Posted May 4th 2008, 9:45am
Hi,

Look to nr706 to be the first to admit to eating his weeds: Wild Violets.

From this:

To this:

nr706 wrote:The leaves are probably a little blander than spinach, but they're not bad. The flowers don't taste like much, but they add a nice visual appeal - at least for me.

Maybe I need to eat more weeds.

If you can't fight'em, then eat'em!

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Deep Dish Pizza

Online Information