LTH Home

Dumping Charcoal in my Garden

Dumping Charcoal in my Garden
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Dumping Charcoal in my Garden

- April 19th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    - April 19th, 2008, 3:35 pm Post #1 - April 19th, 2008, 3:35 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Question: is ash the same as charcoal? I don't think it is. I was putting basically chunks of uncombusted hardwood charcoal into the garden.

I would assume that ash is different than charcoal (and yes, I'm talking about hardwood charcoal, not any nasty briquettes). What I use is a mix of partially burned charcoal and ash. I usually use whatever is in the bottom of my WSM after a cook. Obviously, with the amount of BBQing and grilling that I do it's not practical to dump my dregs into the garden every time. If I did that, I would have soil consisting of 98% charcoal and ash. I usually dump a batch into the soil in the spring and then again sometime around July. I feel that it not only replenishes the soil, but it also serves to aerate it a bit. I'm not sure whether or not it adds anything to the crop, but, as you know, my garden is usually quite prolific, so I don't think it's doing any harm, either.

I am not a Master Gardener, nor do I play one on the internet, so take this advice as you will, since it seems to go against the soil science present here.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events