Home Cookin'
    
Avatar

#1
Posted March 27th 2008, 6:53am
I live near Belmont and Ashland. Does Anyone know where I can pick up some Ramps.
Avatar
#2
Posted March 27th 2008, 11:05am
It's not quite ramps season, yet, is it? Soon, though.
_______________________________________

"Johnny thought when all purpose had been forgotten the world would end this way, with a dance. He slumped back in a corner, drew his knees up to his chin, and watched."-Derek Jarman
Avatar
#3
Posted March 27th 2008, 11:16am
You'll be able to find them at your neighbor's place - Whole Foods. They had them a lot last spring.
Avatar

Lead Moderator
Web
#4
Posted March 27th 2008, 7:20pm
Christopher Gordon wrote:It's not quite ramps season, yet, is it? Soon, though.


I hope it is. Rampfest is this weekend.
_______________________________________

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Avatar
#5
Posted March 27th 2008, 7:47pm
David Hammond wrote:
Christopher Gordon wrote:It's not quite ramps season, yet, is it? Soon, though.


I hope it is. Rampfest is this weekend.


Morels are always hot on the heels of ramps and they's a good two weeks(at least) off. Depending on weather conditions who's to quibble? Good hunting and gathering! I remember seeing ramps at WF in the past, as well. It's so much more fun gathering your own ramps, I expect. I can't wait to go morel hunting this year.
Last edited by Christopher Gordon on March 27th 2008, 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______________________________________

"Johnny thought when all purpose had been forgotten the world would end this way, with a dance. He slumped back in a corner, drew his knees up to his chin, and watched."-Derek Jarman
Avatar

#6
Posted March 27th 2008, 8:41pm
Yinz (as we say in Pgh) make me sick. I still got over a meter o' neige in my front yard, underbeneath which is my chives. Ramps, hah! Morels, hah, hah.

Southerners, sheesh.

Geo

BTW, I just noticed that, with this post, I hit the thousand mark.

(Edited once.)
_______________________________________

Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
Avatar
(Online)
Lead Moderator
#7
Posted March 27th 2008, 9:57pm
Hi,

I am not too optimistic people will be finding ramps soon. The snow we are having in Chicago this evening is as far south as Springfield. I just got off the phone with a friend who just came up 57.

Morels will not likely be in our region until late April or early May. While Christopher Gordon now residing in Indianapolis is far enough south to be a few weeks ahead of us.

I know I sound like a broken record. The collecting of ramps is usually lifting the plant. This drives forest managers crazy because the plant is getting destroyed. It is not in the same catagory as fruiting bodies like mushrooms, nuts and berries. If you are collecting these from public lands, then you run the risk of a fine. BTW - Mushroom hunting is not welcome in all jurisdictions, either.

I've only had ramps twice: some I bought at the Madison farmer's market and the other was a gift from a friend who collected them on private land.

Regards,
_______________________________________

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Avatar

Lead Moderator
Web
#8
Posted March 27th 2008, 10:01pm
Cathy2 wrote:I know I sound like a broken record. The collecting of ramps is usually lifting the plant. This drives forest managers crazy because the plant is getting destroyed.


I would never harvest public lands, of course, and it's my understanding that places like Spence Farms make a point of leaving some ramps in the ground to reseed for the next year.

I am intrigued by the possibility of getting some ramp seeds (which, apparently, are available) and planting some in my yard.

Incidentally, I am going to the RampFest dinner tomorrow, and the idea is that they're using ramps that have been harvested locally. Will report.
_______________________________________

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Avatar
#9
Posted March 27th 2008, 10:48pm
Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I am not too optimistic people will be finding ramps soon. The snow we are having in Chicago this evening is as far south as Springfield. I just got off the phone with a friend who just came up 57.

Morels will not likely be in our region until late April or early May. While Christopher Gordon now residing in Indianapolis is far enough south to be a few weeks ahead of us.

I know I sound like a broken record. The collecting of ramps is usually lifting the plant. This drives forest managers crazy because the plant is getting destroyed. It is not in the same catagory as fruiting bodies like mushrooms, nuts and berries. If you are collecting these from public lands, then you run the risk of a fine. BTW - Mushroom hunting is not welcome in all jurisdictions, either.

I've only had ramps twice: some I bought at the Madison farmer's market and the other was a gift from a friend who collected them on private land.

Regards,


Not to derail

We'll be morel hunting in southern Illinois this year(last year was crappy for hunting supposedly and we didn't bother...year before...a bounty). Weather providing...and you never really know...it looks kinda wet and cold so far this year(and, with weather like this our mid-April hunt is likely a might early)...we intend to hunt on family and friend's property. As much as anything it'll be a bittersweet hunt in honor of the s/o's dad who passed away this year...his dad taught me all I know of morels and cleaning/cooking of...

Generally speaking and weather-wise this year I'm not expecting much, but that's half the fun...you never know...

(this is old hat for seasoned hunters, but I post it for posterity)as far as "reseeding" goes (for morels) part of the mythology is that you gather them in a burlap or similarly-perforated sack so that spores may drop back to the earth as you seek new, fertile fields

too bad that's not equivalent for those tasty ramps
_______________________________________

"Johnny thought when all purpose had been forgotten the world would end this way, with a dance. He slumped back in a corner, drew his knees up to his chin, and watched."-Derek Jarman
Avatar
#10
Posted March 28th 2008, 12:30am
I grew up next to the Glenview Park District Golf Course, which was surrounded by a thin line of trees that I spent a lot of time climbing. And under one of those trees, in the spring, there would always be a stand of what I thought were wild onions, although in retrospect they were probably ramps. For several years, in the spring, we'd pull them up and my Mom (former Food Editor for the Louisville Courier-Journal - late 1940s) would cook them up as a real spring treat. Probably wasn't completely legal, but no one objected, and they were tasty ...
_______________________________________

Avatar
#11
Posted March 28th 2008, 9:26am
David Hammond wrote:
Cathy2 wrote:I know I sound like a broken record. The collecting of ramps is usually lifting the plant. This drives forest managers crazy because the plant is getting destroyed.


I would never harvest public lands, of course, and it's my understanding that places like Spence Farms make a point of leaving some ramps in the ground to reseed for the next year.

I am intrigued by the possibility of getting some ramp seeds (which, apparently, are available) and planting some in my yard.

Incidentally, I am going to the RampFest dinner tomorrow, and the idea is that they're using ramps that have been harvested locally. Will report.


Yes, ramp seeds and also bulbs are available for sale:

http://www.rampfarm.com/catalog.htm

I am going as well. The event is a fund raiser for a group called The Land Connection, which seeks to preserve local farmland for organic farming, train farmers in organic methods, and also match farmers with land. (Full disclosure: I recently became a board member.)

http://www.thelandconnection.org/

I have never met anyone from LTH Forum so I hope to see you there.
Avatar
#12
Posted March 28th 2008, 10:32am
I went hunting, overly optimistically, Wednesday. Not yet!

I did see my first butterfly of the season though!

-ramon
Avatar

Lead Moderator
Web
#13
Posted March 29th 2008, 6:52pm
Went to Rampfest, the most excellent Land Connections benefit last night.

These ramps were harvested last Wednesday; they aren’t huge, but then again, you don’t want them too huge:

Image

Paul Virant of Vie pickled a bunch of ramps:

Image

I don’t believe I’ve eaten ramps before, and I must say, these roots delivers some serious flavor, a cross between onion and garlic, and they taste much better than they smell. A challenge with cooking them seems to be to balance the flavor of the ramp with the other ingredients, which ain’t easy.
_______________________________________

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Avatar
#14
Posted March 29th 2008, 6:56pm
David Hammond wrote:Went to Rampfest, the most excellent Land Connections benefit last night.

These ramps were harvested last Wednesday; they aren’t huge, but then again, you don’t want them too huge:

Image

Paul Virant of Vie pickled a bunch of ramps:

Image

I don’t believe I’ve eaten ramps before, and I must say, these roots delivers some serious flavor, a cross between onion and garlic, and they taste much better than they smell. A challenge with cooking them seems to be to balance the flavor of the ramp with the other ingredients, which ain’t easy.


Man! Those look tasty. I obviously have no clue when it comes to ramp weather. :shock:
_______________________________________

"Johnny thought when all purpose had been forgotten the world would end this way, with a dance. He slumped back in a corner, drew his knees up to his chin, and watched."-Derek Jarman
Avatar

Lead Moderator
Web
#15
Posted March 30th 2008, 7:16pm
The Wife ripping out ramps by the boxload. They were not big and they did not put up much of a struggle.

Image
_______________________________________

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Avatar

Lead Moderator
Web
#16
Posted April 2nd 2008, 10:51am
My segment about Rampfest and the dig is currently scheduled to air tomorrow, April 3, on WBEZ, 91.5FM, during the 9AM and 8PM segments of 848. You can listen live or pick up a podcast anytime after the airdate at:

http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/program_848.aspx

On podcast, you can go right to the segment rather than listening to the whole show.
_______________________________________

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Avatar
#17
Posted April 3rd 2008, 4:04pm
David:

Very informative and interesting report.
Avatar

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
#18
Posted April 4th 2008, 11:11pm
Sauteed Ramps, lentils du puy/couscous background

Image
_______________________________________

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
Avatar
#19
Posted April 20th 2008, 12:56pm
Whole Foods on Halsted has them. $16.99/lb! They've only had them for about a week, don't have a big supply and he said that the price should come down as they are able to get a bigger supply.

Am going to go with some asparagus, marinated for a short time in olive oil, salt and lime juice. Should go well on the grill with some tri-tips from Costco, homemade chimichurri sauce and some potatoes. Haven't decided how I want to cook those up.
Avatar
#20
Posted May 5th 2008, 8:21am
Whole Foods Evanston has ramps for $2.99 a bunch of 10-12. Very small compared to those pictured above.

Last night sauteed them with fresh peas and ready for more.
Avatar
#21
Posted May 11th 2008, 7:16pm
A small bundle of ramps was included in my Fresh Picks box on Friday. I'd never prepared ramps before. Determined to use them in some way for dinner tonight, I did a quick Google search and decided on this Splendid Table recipe for pasta with ramps. I used 1/2 oil, 1/2 butter, spaghetti and no pancetta. It turned out beautifully. It's a very simple dish, but the flavor of the bulbs and the greens really sang. I highly recommend this recipe as an introduction to the marvel of ramps.
Avatar

Charter Member
Web
#22
Posted May 16th 2008, 8:10am
Anyone have a pickled ramp recipe?
_______________________________________

Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

The Local Beet 2014 Guide to Chicagoland Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs)
Avatar

#23
Posted May 16th 2008, 9:06am
VI--

You might try to treat them as pa kimchi--kimchi'd spring onions. I've had it and it's really delicious. I suspect that this would be a natural application for ramps.

Geo
_______________________________________

Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
Avatar
#24
Posted May 16th 2008, 9:36am
Vital Information wrote:Anyone have a pickled ramp recipe?


Use equal parts water and white wine vinegar. Use sugar equalling half the amount of the water. Bring liquid to a boil and then add plenty of black pepper seeds and mustard seeds in equal parts. Cool. Pickling recipes usually call for additional spices like coriander and fennel, but I like my pickled ramps to taste more like ramps and less like pickles.

Blanch the ramps (30 secs max) after thoroughly washing and cool in ice bath to stop the cooking. Use salted water for the blanching, not your brine.

Put ramps in a jar and pour brine over. Let sit for 2-3 days if you plan to use them within a couple of weeks. If the plan is to store longer term, brine for 5 days and then vacuum seal.

Note: I do not think ramp tops take well to pickling. I just use the bottoms.
_______________________________________

...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
Avatar
#25
Posted May 16th 2008, 9:59am
Geo wrote:VI--

You might try to treat them as pa kimchi--kimchi'd spring onions. I've had it and it's really delicious. I suspect that this would be a natural application for ramps.

Geo


Great idea! I bet that would taste great! Also, staying in the Korean vein...you could chop up the ramps for an excellent version of pajun, I imagine.
_______________________________________

Avatar

Charter Member
Web
#26
Posted May 16th 2008, 10:05am
Thanks! :)
_______________________________________

Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

The Local Beet 2014 Guide to Chicagoland Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs)
Avatar
#27
Posted June 1st 2008, 10:13am
Saw these at Song Do Market yesterday.
Image
Avatar

#28
Posted June 1st 2008, 11:40am
Man, those look good--did you get some??

Geo
_______________________________________

Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
Chefs

Online Information

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests