LTH Home

Make Mine (Wild Turkey) Manhattan

Make Mine (Wild Turkey) Manhattan
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - February 24th, 2011, 8:51 am
    Post #61 - February 24th, 2011, 8:51 am Post #61 - February 24th, 2011, 8:51 am
    Has the Mixology Movement Created a Monster?
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #62 - November 20th, 2011, 12:41 am
    Post #62 - November 20th, 2011, 12:41 am Post #62 - November 20th, 2011, 12:41 am
    Had a cigar-infused Manhattan at Nacional 27 tonight. With Hum standing in for Vermouth, this was a complex, satisfying drink. One of the best versions I've had.

• Post #63 - September 17th, 2012, 7:17 pm
    Post #63 - September 17th, 2012, 7:17 pm Post #63 - September 17th, 2012, 7:17 pm
    Last week I was totally falling asleep (from days and nights of eating, etc.) when my new buddy, Lance Mayhew of mylifeontherocks.com, dragged me to meet with Jean.Marie Battault, who runs a liquor manufactory outside Dijon. This guy was marvelous; so French, so gregarious, so full of spirit and language. The French, who I have always admired, talk a lot. A real lot. Which can be annoying or wonderful. In Jean’s case, it was wonderful. After he held forth for an hour or so, we drank some crème de cassis and marc. He sent me home with bottles of both.

So, tonight, without any Vermouth, I glanced at the bottle of his crème de cassis, and thought, why not?

It is an ideal substitute for Vermouth – in fact, it may become my standard, along with bourbon (perhaps, oddly, the least important element in the equation) and good bitters.

Wonder if I could substitute marc for Bourbon. :wink:
  • Post #64 - July 30th, 2013, 7:31 pm
    Post #64 - July 30th, 2013, 7:31 pm Post #64 - July 30th, 2013, 7:31 pm
    A big Manhattan fan for 30+ years, my pre-dinner cocktail of choice. Agree with Mr. Hammond’s 3:1 ratio.

Three parts bourbon (usually Knob Creek 9 y.o.), one part Carpano Antica sweet vermouth, a few dashes of bitters (Angostura) served on the rocks (good, clear store bought cubes) in a nice glass.
  • Post #65 - July 31st, 2013, 10:31 am
    Post #65 - July 31st, 2013, 10:31 am Post #65 - July 31st, 2013, 10:31 am
    David Hammond wrote:<...>
    So, tonight, without any Vermouth, I glanced at the bottle of his crème de cassis, and thought, why not?
    <...>
    Wonder if I could substitute marc for Bourbon. :wink:

"I'll have an ancienne, please."
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #66 - August 5th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    Post #66 - August 5th, 2014, 9:19 pm Post #66 - August 5th, 2014, 9:19 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:My Irish Grandparents favored drink was a High Ball, which my Mom just explained was any good Whiskey and Ginger Ale.

I know this post is years old, but while I'm rereading this whole thread, I thought I'd reply with my own recollections. My Irish mom like bourbon with ginger ale; my dad found that too sweet and preferred it with just water. Both liked lots of ice. I think they much preferred bourbon to whiskey. Maybe because of smellling it growing up, I can't stand bourbon, even the smell of it. I can take whiskey in small doses.

But the term "High Ball" caught my eye. I thought, and Wikipedia (bastion of reliability that it is, I realize) seems to agree, that the term "high ball" applies to any of a family of drinks in which an alcoholic spirit is mixed with a nonalcoholic and typically carbonated mixer. By that definition, according to Wikipedia, gin & tonic, Cuba Libre (rum & Coke), seven & seven, and whiskey or bourbon & ginger ale are all examples of high balls -- so called because they are traditionally served in tall, straight-sided glasses, over ice.

I suppose that by that definition, a Moscow Mule (vodka and ginger ale) would also qualify as a high ball, wouldn't it? --- despite the traditional copper mug in which it's served. And here's another one I just learned about and tried for the first time this past weekend: gin and ginger ale on ice, with a twist of lemon or lime, is apparently called a Foghorn. Oh, and here's one I discovered on my own recently: Crabbie brand ginger beer + ginger ale.

I'd have to say that after wine, the class of drinks known as high balls are my favorite drinks, especially in hot weather. Except for rum & Coke, too sweet. Might not seem as sophisticated as ordering a Manhattan, but they don't make my fall asleep nearly as quickly.

Now off to read about vermouths.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #67 - August 6th, 2014, 11:37 am
    Post #67 - August 6th, 2014, 11:37 am Post #67 - August 6th, 2014, 11:37 am
    Katie wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:My Irish Grandparents favored drink was a High Ball, which my Mom just explained was any good Whiskey and Ginger Ale.

I know this post is years old, but while I'm rereading this whole thread, I thought I'd reply with my own recollections. My Irish mom like bourbon with ginger ale; my dad found that too sweet and preferred it with just water. Both liked lots of ice. I think they much preferred bourbon to whiskey. Maybe because of smellling it growing up, I can't stand bourbon, even the smell of it. I can take whiskey in small doses.

Just a small data point - bourbon is a whiskey.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #68 - August 6th, 2014, 1:43 pm
    Post #68 - August 6th, 2014, 1:43 pm Post #68 - August 6th, 2014, 1:43 pm
    Kman wrote:Just a small data point - bourbon is a whiskey.

But not a whisky (at least as that spelling is commonly used).
  • Post #69 - August 7th, 2014, 11:02 am
    Post #69 - August 7th, 2014, 11:02 am Post #69 - August 7th, 2014, 11:02 am
    Ha! And I wondered about even using the e, becuase I think of that as being the Irish spelling, though I know it's used in the US too. Not to get us off track on that point. My point was I dislike the smell of bourbon.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #70 - August 7th, 2014, 12:38 pm
    Post #70 - August 7th, 2014, 12:38 pm Post #70 - August 7th, 2014, 12:38 pm
    Matt wrote:

Didn't say it was - nor did the OP.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #71 - August 9th, 2014, 6:45 am
    Post #71 - August 9th, 2014, 6:45 am Post #71 - August 9th, 2014, 6:45 am
    Kman wrote:
    Matt wrote:

Didn't say it was - nor did the OP.

Didn't say (or even imply) you or the OP said it was.
  • Post #72 - August 10th, 2014, 2:11 pm
    Post #72 - August 10th, 2014, 2:11 pm Post #72 - August 10th, 2014, 2:11 pm
    Matt wrote:Didn't say (or even imply) you or the OP said it was.

Can we please now leave this mostly-OT tangent in the rear-view mirror?

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #73 - March 9th, 2015, 8:48 pm
    Post #73 - March 9th, 2015, 8:48 pm Post #73 - March 9th, 2015, 8:48 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:A big Manhattan fan for 30+ years, my pre-dinner cocktail of choice. Agree with Mr. Hammond’s 3:1 ratio.

Three parts bourbon (usually Knob Creek 9 y.o.), one part Carpano Antica sweet vermouth, a few dashes of bitters (Angostura) served on the rocks (good, clear store bought cubes) in a nice glass.

I have backed off on the vermouth and now use a 4:1 ratio. Also feel that the Carpano is too sweet for my taste in a Manhattan. Have been using Cocchi Storico Vermouth di Torino, which is less sweet and quite a bit less expensive than Carpano. A bottle of Punt e Mes is on deck as a potential competitor for the Cocchi.

While I enjoy bourbon straight, I do still like a Manhattan or Boulevardier and the 4:1 is less impactful on the bourbon. Over the past few years I also rotate good bourbons from several open bottles.

A frequent option is my take on a Boulevardier, for that 1 part vermouth, I split it 1/2 Cocchi and 1/2 Campari.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more