LTH Home

Want a percolator

Want a percolator
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Want a percolator

Post #1 - July 26th, 2017, 9:07 am
    Post #1 - July 26th, 2017, 9:07 am Post #1 - July 26th, 2017, 9:07 am
    Howdy coffee enthusiasts,

After buying yet another electric drip coffee maker this morning after my previous one failed, I am thinking of going retro- all the way back to a stove top percolator. Yes I remember mom and dad's horrific coffee. Yes I recall that the whole shebang needed to be thoroughly washed after each use. But yes I recollect how wonderful the whole house smelled as the coffee brewed. And I have been reading online this morning, how it IS possible to brew a decent cup with a percolator.

Does anyone still percolate their coffee? A perusal of Google Shopping reveals many brands and types still out there- new and used. Even non-percolating vacuum coffee pots as well as electric percolators.

Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks and have a "percolatedly" perky day!
  • Post #2 - July 26th, 2017, 12:05 pm
    Post #2 - July 26th, 2017, 12:05 pm Post #2 - July 26th, 2017, 12:05 pm
    I have a perc for camping, and
    I use a BIG perc when I have parties.
    I have 2 HUGE coffee urns that perc.
    both make about 30ish cups
    the trick to good coffee is taking out the grounds as soon as they are done.
    Also adding just a pinch of salt takes out any bitterness.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #3 - July 26th, 2017, 12:39 pm
    Post #3 - July 26th, 2017, 12:39 pm Post #3 - July 26th, 2017, 12:39 pm
    This post:

http://ruhlman.com/2008/02/percolator-love/

from many, many years ago kindled an interest in percolators for me. I could never get it to work in the manner Michael describes. In addition, my coffee palate has changed dramatically since those days so I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like the results much these days. To be honest, I wish I hadn't gotten distracted trying to figure out how to get good results with an 8-cup percolator. Just get a Chemex or similar...

We also have a huge 30 cup perc that we bring out at holiday parties. One cup of that, twice per year, allows me to meet whatever lingering need I think I have for coffee brewed in this manner.
  • Post #4 - July 28th, 2017, 9:58 am
    Post #4 - July 28th, 2017, 9:58 am Post #4 - July 28th, 2017, 9:58 am
    Have you tried a Moka Maker?
    Instructions from Blue Bottle (1-cup size maker, I think - they come in 1-9 cup sizes it looks like)
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more