LTH Home

Name That Drink

Name That Drink
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Name That Drink

Post #1 - December 21st, 2016, 4:04 pm
    Post #1 - December 21st, 2016, 4:04 pm Post #1 - December 21st, 2016, 4:04 pm
    In Marcel Pagnol's play "Marius," Cesar tries to show Marius the right way to make a cocktail.
    Since I know next to nothing about mixed drinks, I'm stuck as to what it is. Any ideas?

"CÉSAR: First of all you put in one third of curaçao. Just a little third. Right?
    Next, one third of lemon juice, a slightly bigger third. Got that? Then, a generous third of orange Picon. Look at the colour. That's exactly how it should look. And finally, a large third of water. And there it is!
    MARIUS: That makes four thirds.
    CÉSAR: Exactly. I just hope that this time you've got the idea. (He takes a swig of the drink.)"
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #2 - December 22nd, 2016, 1:38 pm
    Post #2 - December 22nd, 2016, 1:38 pm Post #2 - December 22nd, 2016, 1:38 pm
    I'm not sure it's called anything. A few lines earlier Cesar says "All right then, for the tenth time, I‟ll show you how to make an orange Picon, with lemon and curaçao."

Based on that line, at least, I'd say it's simply orange Picon with additions (namely lemon and curacao and water). Picon is the brand name and orange is one of three varieties--they're aperitifs. The orange version is not very bitter and, like the others, is a common ingredient in other drinks (including beer). (You can find some recipes in "The Complete Bartender," excerpts of which are available in Google Books.) Picon punch was once popular in Basque country--you might still find it in Nevada--and it included the orange variety plus brandy, grenadine, and soda water. Think amaro.

And if there really is a name, I'd be very curious to hear it.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #3 - December 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm
    Post #3 - December 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm Post #3 - December 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm
    Thanks, Gypsy Boy. I'm just really curious what it would taste like. Cesar also refers to a customer who used to come in and drink a dozen of these concoctions daily!
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #4 - December 22nd, 2016, 7:53 pm
    Post #4 - December 22nd, 2016, 7:53 pm Post #4 - December 22nd, 2016, 7:53 pm
    Well, notwithstanding the sweetness of the orange Picon and the curacao, that much lemon juice makes it sound pretty sour to me--and I like sour things. Not sure about this. I'd be interested to know if someone knows more.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #5 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:38 pm
    Post #5 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:38 pm Post #5 - December 22nd, 2016, 8:38 pm
    That sounds like a lot of lemon juice. It'd probably be better without it, or maybe just with a slice of lemon as garnish. And I'd say excise the water, too. Just mix the Picon and Curacao - perhaps 1.5 oz each, maybe over ice, maybe shaken with ice, whatever it takes to cut some sweetness - then top with sparking water. Actually, maybe muddle a slice or two of lemon, then add the spirits and shake with ice, then add fizzy water. That might taste OK.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more