LTH Home

Moneygun

Moneygun
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Moneygun

Post #1 - March 15th, 2016, 7:49 am
    Post #1 - March 15th, 2016, 7:49 am Post #1 - March 15th, 2016, 7:49 am
    Not a fan of the name, but Moneygun is akin (in both senses) to Punch House, with an emphasis on old school comfy booth decor and cocktails (from classy to kitschy, Manhattans to Pink Squirrels). The drinks we had were predictably solid, usually with a couple of house-made ingredients snazzing up so many very familiar staples of dive bars and lounges, and unlike Punch House not ruined by the curious and distracting addition of beer. Great food, too. But again, no surprises there. I can see this place getting slammed at the end of the workday. Or, hopefully, flying just under the radar enough to make it manageable; things were slow this past sneaky opening weekend, but kinks are always to be expected when a place first opens its doors.

Moneygun
    660 W. Lake
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 600-0600
  • Post #2 - May 21st, 2016, 12:42 pm
    Post #2 - May 21st, 2016, 12:42 pm Post #2 - May 21st, 2016, 12:42 pm
    I've been in few times and I think this place is really special. I love their classics-focused cocktail menu and the vintage space -- complete with rounded bar -- is super inviting. I also think their all-star staff, headed up by Will Duncan, Justin Anderson, Dustin Drankiewicz and GM Chris Kafcas, is super talented, attentive and knowledgeable. These guys have perfect pitch when it comes to libations and their warm hosting philosophy comes through loud and clear.

Very recently their outdoor space opened (on the west side of the building, just north of the St. Lou's space). We spent a few minutes out there while we were waiting for the indoor bar to open and it's also a really nice, shady (at least when we were there) space with plenty of seating and outdoor-focused offerings, including some frozen cocktails, easy-drinking draft beer and softserve ice cream. I believe it's open all day, or at least from lunchtime on (but check with them because I'm not sure).

I think this would be a top-tier bar anywhere in town but it's especially nice to have such a cozy, neighborhood spot in this particular part of town, where watering holes as notable and destination-worthy as this one are a pretty rare breed.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - April 12th, 2021, 7:00 am
    Post #3 - April 12th, 2021, 7:00 am Post #3 - April 12th, 2021, 7:00 am
    They’ve taken over the dining room next door belonging to sibling restaurant St. Lou’s Assembly giving them an additional 1,000 square feet.

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/4/9/2237 ... -covid-bar
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more