LTH Home

Duty Free alcohol purchases-what do you get?

Duty Free alcohol purchases-what do you get?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Duty Free alcohol purchases-what do you get?

Post #1 - November 13th, 2015, 9:53 am
    Post #1 - November 13th, 2015, 9:53 am Post #1 - November 13th, 2015, 9:53 am
    As frequent travelers, we find ourselves in Duty Free shops at international border crossings. Some are at airports and others are roadside. Different nations have different offerings and prices. We have observed a trend of ubiquity-there is always big name vodkas, scotch whiskies, gin, american and canadian whisky, and liquers. Over the years the prices have creeped up and in some countries it is cheaper to buy the spirits at home-even with Cook County taxes. I never know about the wines-except champagne. Since the amount of duty free spirits you can legally bring home is limited what do you buy? Do you buy your favorite pour to save money or do you seek out the rare bottle you can not get at home? Or...?
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #2 - November 13th, 2015, 3:40 pm
    Post #2 - November 13th, 2015, 3:40 pm Post #2 - November 13th, 2015, 3:40 pm
    I used to get extra anejo Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Tequila in 2.5 liter bottles every year when I visited Mexico. It was only available (in this size) in the duty free at the airport. Each year a different artist would design the box. I don't recall the exact price, but I think that the bottle was under $200, which made it considerably less expensive than what is available locally. The tequila is really excellent. Here's a link to a pic of the boxes from a number of years:

http://www.tequilasource.com/cuervorese ... 620_r2.jpg
  • Post #3 - November 13th, 2015, 4:42 pm
    Post #3 - November 13th, 2015, 4:42 pm Post #3 - November 13th, 2015, 4:42 pm
    I always get a lot of Japanese whiskey coming home from Japan. In particular Nikka, which for some reason is crazy cheap at the duty free.
  • Post #4 - November 15th, 2015, 2:40 pm
    Post #4 - November 15th, 2015, 2:40 pm Post #4 - November 15th, 2015, 2:40 pm
    I've never personally seen or purchased one, but be on the lookout for Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, one of a couple (I think?) non-US versions of their bourbon.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more