LTH Home

Exit Strategy Brewing Opening in Forest Park

Exit Strategy Brewing Opening in Forest Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Exit Strategy Brewing Opening in Forest Park

Post #1 - November 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm
    Post #1 - November 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm Post #1 - November 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm
    To hell with the daily grind. That sentiment, along with a passion for good food, brewing beer and the prospect of living five minutes from work, drove Forest Parkers Katherine and Chris Valleau to start Exit Strategy Brewing, a brewery slated to open in spring 2015 on Madison Street in Forest Park.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... orest-park
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - February 7th, 2015, 10:32 am
    Post #2 - February 7th, 2015, 10:32 am Post #2 - February 7th, 2015, 10:32 am
    They'll be open March 7 at 11:30 before the Forest Park St Patricks Day parade. $2 beer samples, snacks, giveaways

7700 W Madison, FP

(i know the owners and chef but have no $$ connection)
  • Post #3 - May 17th, 2015, 8:45 pm
    Post #3 - May 17th, 2015, 8:45 pm Post #3 - May 17th, 2015, 8:45 pm
    Kudos to the design team on maximizing this bright and airy corner space; tables are comfortable and spread out, bar is wide and appealing, vats visible in back through glass, and the staff is eager to please.

The beers at this point are a mixed bag. Scotsquatch was downright weak for something named big and promising rich caramel flavor and smokiness. Apologize, the witbier, was an eerie dead ringer (in more than just style) for Blue Moon, inoffensive but not adding anything in the draft application, perhaps named appropriately. Rue Dauphine, their saison, I found delicious and refreshing. Their descriptors of tart and dry didn't really fit - it was fruity and smooth. Even hovering above 5% ABV it would be a totally workable session ale and something nice to cut their oil-rich menu.

On that front, I'll need another visit or two to assess what they're trying to do with the full menu. This order did feature house-cut fries with scratch aioli and beer-cheese-curry sauces, but the fries weren't particularly crisp and the oil seemed off (overheated or old). The handmade flour tortillas on the $5 (each) smallish tacos were crumbly (reheated?) and dominated the sparse meats, with the duck affair sent out without the homemade goat cheese or cracklings, and a slick of fat unabsorbed by the tortilla.
  • Post #4 - May 18th, 2015, 11:22 am
    Post #4 - May 18th, 2015, 11:22 am Post #4 - May 18th, 2015, 11:22 am
    I have to second the comments on the space. It is a great looking spot and with the windows open a great place to spend a warm afternoon or evening.

I can't add anything to Santander's beer reviews. So far, my experience has been middling. The Exit Strategy is a perfectly drinkable American Pale Ale. It might be heresy to a new brewery but they may want to consider one (or two) guest tap handles as they work in their own beers - keep it hyper-local and with friendly breweries.

Our food experience was a bit better though. The fries and dipping sauces were tasty. I got the veggie "stir-fry" and found it hit the right notes. I also tried the Forest Park Phila taco (strip steak, cheese, onions, peppers) which wowed me for the $5 price tag. The meat party pizza was also delicious, very thin crust with an abundance of meats. Almost the perfect brewery food. In the end, we fed our family of five and enjoyed a few beers for less than $65 which is nearly impossible any where else nearby.
  • Post #5 - July 10th, 2015, 5:30 am
    Post #5 - July 10th, 2015, 5:30 am Post #5 - July 10th, 2015, 5:30 am
    Santander wrote:Kudos to the design team on maximizing this bright and airy corner space; tables are comfortable and spread out, bar is wide and appealing, vats visible in back through glass, and the staff is eager to please.

The beers at this point are a mixed bag. Scotsquatch was downright weak for something named big and promising rich caramel flavor and smokiness. Apologize, the witbier, was an eerie dead ringer (in more than just style) for Blue Moon, inoffensive but not adding anything in the draft application, perhaps named appropriately. Rue Dauphine, their saison, I found delicious and refreshing. Their descriptors of tart and dry didn't really fit - it was fruity and smooth. Even hovering above 5% ABV it would be a totally workable session ale and something nice to cut their oil-rich menu.

Me and the OP Boys had dinner and some beers here last night. I'd say, for me at least, that I'm very happy it's nearby but not wholly impressed.

I agree with Matt's description of the beers as inoffensive, at least the two I tried, the blonde ale and the English brown ale, and I agree being on draft did not add much. I mean I know it's not beer style beer style, but I had a can or Revolution IPA on Wed that so much more jumped out at me. A draft should not be so weak in comparison--I'm talking overall impressions.

That said, I enjoyed my horseshoe a lot. I'm the kinda guy who's been saying, ever since he went to Springfield like 11 years ago, I need to get back to Springfield. I've also been saying, why is not the horseshoe more popular. Like what's not to love. All bread is better when it's toasted, right? A decent cheese sauce, fresh cut fries, it was a million very likeable calories.

I know I am in the minority these days in the era of crispness--I wonder if I'd even like all those Central Illinois burgers. The fries here are bucking the trend with me, and I'm very fine with it. Good fries.

My other quibble with the place, it's a bar/brew-pub. I liked my mass of horseshoe on a plate, but I would have thought, or should I say they need, some more drinking foods. Maybe being the cretin who likes non-crisp fries what do I know, but give me a big plate of nachos or some wings or something. I really would have liked some food before our dinners arrived.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #6 - July 10th, 2015, 8:44 am
    Post #6 - July 10th, 2015, 8:44 am Post #6 - July 10th, 2015, 8:44 am
    The milk stout was my favorite of the 6 beers I tried. (Thursday night beer flight special). The place is fine. I had chili and fries. Solid. Nothing amazing, but above average. Oddly kind of a loud place despite the very wide spaced tables.
    i used to milk cows

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more