LTH Home

Beer through the Ages: The Role of Beer in Shaping Our World

Beer through the Ages: The Role of Beer in Shaping Our World
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Beer through the Ages: The Role of Beer in Shaping Our World

Post #1 - October 13th, 2014, 5:43 pm
    Post #1 - October 13th, 2014, 5:43 pm Post #1 - October 13th, 2014, 5:43 pm
    From AnthroNOW(pology):

Beer through the Ages: The Role of Beer in Shaping Our Past and Current Worlds

....As I was interviewing women about their house-hold pottery, I kept seeing pots that looked as if acid was eating the interiors. Every time I asked a woman what was causing this, she would state that “the beer is eating the pots.” I believe that lactic acid, a common component of African beer, is causing this erosion on the pot’s interior. I subsequently noted this severe surface erosion in 100 percent of the pots used for beer.

This unexpected find motivated me to look into the role beer plays in contemporary indigenous societies throughout the world. I discovered that beer is an essential staple for many communities, often considered a food rather than a beverage. Importantly, the consumption of beer adds considerably to daily caloric intake. It has more protein, vitamins and minerals than unleavened bread, and the low alcohol content kills bacteria that may be present in the unprocessed water. The importance of beer in many communities today is illustrated by the fact that one-eighth to one-fourth of all grains grown in sub-Saharan Africa are used for the processing of beer (1). Beer binds people together and serves to reinforce social hospitality and communality during ceremonial and everyday activities. It is a common cultural marker of wealth and status; it may represent a payment of tribute to chiefs, and it is essential in the redistribution of wealth. The processing and consumption of beer pervades many cultural acts, and be- cause of its social, economic and political value it is of great significance, both as a dietary staple and as a luxury food.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - October 13th, 2014, 5:47 pm
    Post #2 - October 13th, 2014, 5:47 pm Post #2 - October 13th, 2014, 5:47 pm
    Since beer is so exulted, I recalled Bill Cosby feeding his children chocolate cake for breakfast.

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more