LTH Home

Italian wines crash course?

Italian wines crash course?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Italian wines crash course?

Post #1 - June 25th, 2014, 9:35 pm
    Post #1 - June 25th, 2014, 9:35 pm Post #1 - June 25th, 2014, 9:35 pm
    I'm going to Italy for the first time in September, and plan to do at least one Tuscan winery tour but hope to drink lots of wine in Venice, Florence and Rome. Yet I know very little about italian wines. Actually I'm not an expert by any means either, though I'm fairly receptive to trying things. I tend to like big reds, don't care for merlot, and have never liked a Pinot Grigio in my life.

My husband isn't a great wine guy either, he tends to like rich sweet Rieslings so I'd love any suggestions for options for him as well.

Any local spots (north shore) that does tastings or classes, or is there a "starter kit" you experts might suggest? Thanks.
  • Post #2 - June 26th, 2014, 10:50 pm
    Post #2 - June 26th, 2014, 10:50 pm Post #2 - June 26th, 2014, 10:50 pm
    You might try to pop into one of the Vin Chicago (formerly Wine Discount Center) locations and ask there. I live in the city, so have only been to the North/Elston location, but they've never steered me wrong. There's a lot more to Italian whites than Pinot Grigio, and their selection of Italian whites are particularly good, I think.

One suggestion: Since you like "big reds," if they have any of the Maestro Raro Cabernet, it's well worth the splurge. Decant a couple hours and enjoy.
  • Post #3 - June 27th, 2014, 6:19 am
    Post #3 - June 27th, 2014, 6:19 am Post #3 - June 27th, 2014, 6:19 am
    Vinic wines has tastings every Friday and Saturday evening, for a small fee. They're very knowledgeable, and you could quiz them about Italian wines to your heart's content.

Vinic Wines
    1509 Chicago Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 733-7000
    www.vinicwine.com
  • Post #4 - June 27th, 2014, 8:06 am
    Post #4 - June 27th, 2014, 8:06 am Post #4 - June 27th, 2014, 8:06 am
    To the west of Venice is the Alto Adige region, which has some very good Rieslings that I think your husband would enjoy. Closer to Venice some very good Proseccos are made. You can find good quality at a good price in that area.
    If you like big reds than you should try Super Tuscans that are cabernet-sangiovese blends. Tuscany is mainly known for the sangiovese used to make Chianti. This Chianti is usually much better than the cheap crap sold in bottles lined with wicker baskets. But it is often a more light-bodied wine (very food friendly) than what you may prefer in a red, so look for it blended with cabernet.
    A couple of Tuscan wine estates that give very good tours to English-speaking visitors are Ornellaia, near Bolgheri, home of one of the very best (and most expensive) Super Tuscans, http://www.ornellaia.com/tours-and-tast ... 615LBbsd4M
    and Tiberini in Montepulciano http://www.tiberiniwine.com/en/Visite.aspx
    If you are looking for a special meal, hit Arnolfo in Colle di Val d'Elsa in Tuscany.
  • Post #5 - June 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm
    Post #5 - June 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm Post #5 - June 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm
    Thanks all, this was just what I was hoping for!
  • Post #6 - June 30th, 2014, 9:01 am
    Post #6 - June 30th, 2014, 9:01 am Post #6 - June 30th, 2014, 9:01 am
    One other thought: since your husband likes "rich sweet Rieslings," he should try some vin santo, the traditional dessert wine of Tuscany. Like many dessert wines, it is expensive, but it goes great with biscotti (sometimes called cantuccini in Tuscany) at the end of a meal.
  • Post #7 - July 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm
    Post #7 - July 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm Post #7 - July 1st, 2014, 12:36 pm
    I could not recommend a trip to Petra in Tuscany enough. Fabulous experience, and beautiful wine.

http://www.petrawine.it/en.php

I've also visited Ornellaia as well. Beautiful property, and as said before, very big price tag. Bring me a bottle of Masseto home. please! ;)
  • Post #8 - July 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm
    Post #8 - July 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm Post #8 - July 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm
    CVittorio wrote:I could not recommend a trip to Petra in Tuscany enough. Fabulous experience, and beautiful wine.

http://www.petrawine.it/en.php

I've also visited Ornellaia as well. Beautiful property, and as said before, very big price tag. Bring me a bottle of Masseto home. please! ;)

I couldn't find the price to tour either, will be digging deeper after the holiday. The wine manager at my Binny's just came back from Italy and he has some ideas too. I'm getting ready to start drinking!
  • Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm
    Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm Post #9 - July 6th, 2014, 2:52 pm
    You're getting good advice, but I would steer you slightly differently: The good news is that this is your first trip to some pretty magical places in which you can effortlessly and meaningfully fill the time you have without straying far. I spent a month in Firenze twenty year ago and only left the city limits twice (once to meet a friend flying into Rome and once to sit in the Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa and share a panino with a cute girl) and never lacked for interesting things to do. So, I say focus your time seeing those three wonderful cities. If you want to see a winery, don't waste a lot of time getting out of town and visit something near Firenze, maybe with an organized tour (there's a guy who leads a caravan of old Fiat 500s, so you can drive a vintage Cinquecento while getting liquored up and not get lost: maybe not the best idea, but I'd do it).

The not so good news is that Tuscany is pretty sophisticated about wine, so they've focused on the world market successfully. You'll see more "world" wines than I'd like (Cabernet, Merlot, and even now Malbecs). You can still find wines from traditional grapes (Sangiovese and Vernaccia are the two big ones) and the 2009, 10, and 11 Chiantis are pretty good, especially the 2010. If you want to spend more, there are plenty of Brunellos and various Super Tuscans to try. The wine cellar at Enoteca Pinchiorri is said to stock >100,000 bottles and Cibreo will feed and wine you in fine fashion. Me, I'd stop at 'l Trippaio in San Frediano for a plate of lampredotto and a simple chianti (or Vino Nobile di Montepulciano)

Perhaps the best solution to the challenge you set was recommended by Baudelaire: Il faut être toujours ivre. Tout est là: c'est l'unique question. You can do a lot worse than the wines from Tuscany, or maybe, if time permits, pass through Verona on your way to Venice and order a great Amarone.

Buon viaggio.
  • Post #10 - July 6th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Post #10 - July 6th, 2014, 4:40 pm Post #10 - July 6th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Choey wrote: If you want to see a winery, don't waste a lot of time getting out of town

I have to take issue with this. As much as I love Florence, Pisa, Montalcino, etc., driving through the Tuscan countryside is one of life's great pleasures. A day trip to one of the many hill towns with medieval architecture mostly intact is a real treat, especially if you stop off at a winery on the way there or back.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more