LTH Home

Has anyone made their own tonic water?

Has anyone made their own tonic water?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Has anyone made their own tonic water?

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm Post #1 - July 23rd, 2011, 6:13 pm
    If so, thoughts on it versus something like Fever Tree, and where to get the ingredients such as chicona bark in Chicago (versus mail order).

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Homemade- ... ter-Recipe
  • Post #2 - July 24th, 2011, 4:04 pm
    Post #2 - July 24th, 2011, 4:04 pm Post #2 - July 24th, 2011, 4:04 pm
    DutchMuse wrote:If so, thoughts on it versus something like Fever Tree, and where to get the ingredients such as chicona bark in Chicago (versus mail order).

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Homemade- ... ter-Recipe

Never made my own tonic, but I've found cinchona bark in the spice area of larger Mexican groceries in the past.
  • Post #3 - August 31st, 2011, 10:40 am
    Post #3 - August 31st, 2011, 10:40 am Post #3 - August 31st, 2011, 10:40 am
    Wilfred,
    Merz Apothecary in Lincoln Square has it.
  • Post #4 - July 17th, 2015, 3:56 pm
    Post #4 - July 17th, 2015, 3:56 pm Post #4 - July 17th, 2015, 3:56 pm
    Homemade Tonic Water Recipe by David Leibovitz, which is a variation of a recipe from Jennifer McLagan's book Bitter.

A link in this article refers to the Potential Dangers of Homemade Tonic Water (or other bitters using cinchona)

Tonic water contains quinine as its active, bittering ingredient. Quinine comes from cinchona tree bark. Homemade tonic waters begin with this tree bark either in chunk or powdered form. The powdered form is particularly hard to strain out of the final beverage, and this could lead to an accidental overdose.

Symptoms of mild cinchonism (which may occur from standard therapeutic doses of quinine) include flushed and sweaty skin, ringing of the ears (tinnitus), blurred vision, impaired hearing, confusion, reversible high-frequency hearing loss, headache, abdominal pain, rashes, drug-induced lichenoid reaction (lichenoid photosensitivity),[1] vertigo, dizziness, dysphoria, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

I knew there was an issue related to quinine, because airplane pilots cannot have quinine 24-hours before flight. I never really found a good explanation until today.

From reading the full story, powdered form of cinchona is much harder to filter out than bark.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more