LTH Home

Bar DeVille

Bar DeVille
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - October 24th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    Post #61 - October 24th, 2009, 2:56 pm Post #61 - October 24th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    BryanZ wrote:This is neither here nor there, but crowd notwithstanding, one drink was not good, the other was fine. A bar like Pegu Club or Clover Club sees as many people as Bar Deville, probably more, with the same number of bartenders. Again, I'm not passing judgment on BDV as a whole--I'll surely return--but my one experience was a bit underwhelming even if I'm focusing solely on what was in the glass.

That's really a shame. I've found DeVille to be a place where I can consistently 'while away the hours' without even thinking about it. I really hope you'll try it again soon.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - October 29th, 2009, 10:18 am
    Post #62 - October 29th, 2009, 10:18 am Post #62 - October 29th, 2009, 10:18 am
    Brad, would you mind posting a list of drinks here? I can't find it on your website, and I'm considering a visit -- I'm definitely wooable with a bit more information.
  • Post #63 - October 29th, 2009, 10:42 am
    Post #63 - October 29th, 2009, 10:42 am Post #63 - October 29th, 2009, 10:42 am
    jsagoff wrote:Brad, would you mind posting a list of drinks here? I can't find it on your website, and I'm considering a visit -- I'm definitely wooable with a bit more information.

I haven't been in a couple of weeks, but there is no drink list at Bar DeVille. My standard practice is to either order a favorite drink or tell Brad what liquor I want at the moment (usually gin) and make me something with that. But, don't go on a Friday or Saturday and expect that level of attention, when it's pretty crowded.
  • Post #64 - October 30th, 2009, 1:14 pm
    Post #64 - October 30th, 2009, 1:14 pm Post #64 - October 30th, 2009, 1:14 pm
    The only drink list I've ever seen at Bar DeVille is the one Brad made specifically for the LTH Happy Hour there back in March.
  • Post #65 - October 30th, 2009, 2:16 pm
    Post #65 - October 30th, 2009, 2:16 pm Post #65 - October 30th, 2009, 2:16 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:The only drink list I've ever seen at Bar DeVille is the one Brad made specifically for the LTH Happy Hour there back in March.

Yeah, they don't have an official list. There was one circulating online when they first opened, but it never actually made it into the bar. They, at least they use to, write a couple of specials on the mirror above the register, the rest of it is either ask for a drink, or ask for them to make something up.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #66 - November 2nd, 2009, 7:15 pm
    Post #66 - November 2nd, 2009, 7:15 pm Post #66 - November 2nd, 2009, 7:15 pm
    Was there Friday night for some cocktails. Started off with a Sazerac, whiskey, absinthe and lemon zest (may be missing an ingredient) which a friend of mine suggested when I was there a week earlier with her. An amazing drink. A nice drink to sit and sip and relax. Since there's no list asked the bartender (who turned out to be Brad, we introduced ourselves later) for a cocktail with Gin and egg white. Brad made a fantastic drink called the Genever Sour made with Genever Gin of course. It was very tart and creamy and delicious with a bit of cinnamon on top for 'fall' scent. Excellent and exactly what I wanted. We then asked him to make what he considers his signature cocktail. It turned out to be the Hard Sell. I've seen it discussed earlier so I won't explain it but I also thought it was fantastic. For some reason Malort has been growing one me. One night at another bar a buddy ordered a shot of Malort straight for another friend as a joke. We ended up slowing sipping it and I have to say, after each sip, it got easier and actually enjoyable if you can believe it. Which could be a reason I enjoyed the Hard Sell so much. I think that Grapefruit really gave that cocktail a fruity note that cut the Malort a bit. I have to say it is definitely not for everyone. It's still extremely bitter. I've been to DeVille a few times late night with friends so I never had any cocktails there until last week. Now that I have, I'm hooked.
    "I Like Food, Food Tastes Good" - The Descendants
  • Post #67 - November 7th, 2009, 7:53 pm
    Post #67 - November 7th, 2009, 7:53 pm Post #67 - November 7th, 2009, 7:53 pm
    Hello all,

There are several points I would like to address. Sorry I've been a bit MIA lately. I've been incredibly busy with the bartender exchange with the Velvet Tango Room in Cleveland.

BryanZ- I would love to invite you to come into the bar when I am behind the stick Mon-Wed. Like Ronnie and others said, it is a very different experience at the bar during the week than on the weekends. Or if you come in again on a weekend, please ask for me as I am always around and available. I would like to make your experience pleasant and show you what I have to offer. Which brings me to my next point...

I appreciate and thank you all for considering us to be a "cocktail" bar. But on the contrary this is not how I view our bar. I believe that the resurgence of cocktail culture has led to a loss of the culture of the bar itself. To me, a bar is first and foremost a community center. One where adults can gather, interact, talk and enjoy each other's company. Whether one is out for a night out with a close friend, or whether one is out to "pick up" a new "close friend" THAT'S what a bar is. We go out to bars to HAVE FUN.

That being said, here is what I like to think Bar DeVille is. We are a neighborhood bar, and we also serve craft cocktails. We are not a craft cocktail bar in a neighborhood. I love serving craft cocktails at DeVille. But I also want to HAVE FUN. So yes, even when the weekend rolls around, I get excited about the vibe changing from cocktail savvy folks coming in earlier to folks that just want to have some beer, a few shots, and a fun night out. I meet so many incredibly nice and interesting people from all walks of life. And while a craft cocktail may tickle your fancy, an amazing craft beer may tickle someone else's. The goal of the beverage program at DeVille is to have something for everyone. I said something, not everything, which is why you won't find any bullshit at the bar. No Jager, no Grey Goose, no Rumple Minze, etc.

The point made about restaurant quality not suffering when they are busy is a valid one. But I will say this, a dining room full of patrons waiting patiently for their dinner is much different than a crowded bar full of people that want their vodka and tonic YESTERDAY. That said, mistakes get made and we all do it. In an ideal world, every cocktail that goes across the bar from our staff should taste exactly the way I would make it. However, when the staff is getting crushed on the weekends I would rather praise them for not only getting the drinks out as fast as is humanly possible, but also for being so incredibly tolerant and patient. It is hard to honestly judge a bar or restaurant when the staff is getting their asses handed to them.

I feel like I am rambling a bit but I hope this makes a bit of sense and hopefully gives you a little insight into my own personal beliefs of what a bar is and can be. When I do open my special, cozy "cocktail" bar, which is another goal of mine, I will let you know.

I do not have a printed cocktail menu at the moment. And yes, I did print one specifically for the LTH Happy Hour. However, this will be changing very soon as I will begin printing cocktail menus in the winter and changing it seasonally.

Again, like I told BryanZ, please ask for me whenever any of you come in as I would love to meet you in person outside of the forum.

Cheers,

Brad Bolt
    Managing Partner and Beverage Director
    Bar DeVille
  • Post #68 - November 9th, 2009, 10:40 pm
    Post #68 - November 9th, 2009, 10:40 pm Post #68 - November 9th, 2009, 10:40 pm
    Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm coming by tomorrow in fact. This whole not-drinking-in-November thing isn't really working out for me. Everything in moderation, I suppose. Hopefully the boys (and girls?) from Cleveland will be bringing it.
  • Post #69 - November 10th, 2009, 9:38 am
    Post #69 - November 10th, 2009, 9:38 am Post #69 - November 10th, 2009, 9:38 am
    BryanZ wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm coming by tomorrow in fact. This whole not-drinking-in-November thing isn't really working out for me. Everything in moderation, I suppose. Hopefully the boys (and girls?) from Cleveland will be bringing it.

Bryan-

We made our maiden voyage to BDV last night and the two women from Cleveland did, in fact, bring it. The bar was hopping with lots of LTHers. We tried the VTR manhattan, the bourbon daisy and the rangpur gimlet. I'm certain the cobwebs will clear as soon as the coffee kicks in. ;-) I'm looking forward to returning another night to try the creations of the BDV staff.

-Mary
    -Mary
  • Post #70 - November 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm
    Post #70 - November 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm Post #70 - November 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm
    Thanks to PIGMON for bringing this up. I really enjoyed (finally) my first of many visits to DeVille. The VTR bar masters and their debonair sponsor Paulius were great, as was the crowd. The VTR Manhattan was as good as advertised, a new benchmark for me. But the thing that blew my mind was Brad's Hard Sell. Damn, that's the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove. I liked it.
  • Post #71 - November 11th, 2009, 3:33 pm
    Post #71 - November 11th, 2009, 3:33 pm Post #71 - November 11th, 2009, 3:33 pm
    My <ahem> second night at the VTR/BDV exchange netted a new find, thanks to Rene G: an off-menu Negroni, which this Negroni fan will rank as one of the best she's ever had, mostly due to VTR's "vermouth," which I understand to be some sort of a wine reduction? Maybe someone else who knows the details can elaborate. Good stuff, anyway.

Lamely, I didn't use my <ahem> second night there to try anything new except for the Dry Whiskey Sour, which I also enjoyed immensely.

My rankings/recap:

1. Manhattan
    2. Rangpur Gimlet - about the farthest you can get from Rose's lime juice, my nemesis; the one bad thing about this drink is that it goes down way too easily.
    3. Negroni
    4. Dry Whiskey Sour
    5. Ninth Ward
    Last: Bourbon Daisy - for some reason, I picked up a gasoline aftertaste, which, needless to say, ruined it for me.

Per usual, it was fun hanging out with fellow LTH cocktailers and to finally meet and chat with longtime LTHer and fellow barrister, JeffB.
  • Post #72 - November 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm
    Post #72 - November 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm Post #72 - November 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm
    Some random -- and decidely blurry -- shots from Monday and Tuesday evenings, both of which were highly enjoyable . . .

Paulius, the man!

=R=
  • Post #73 - February 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm
    Post #73 - February 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm Post #73 - February 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm
    BryanZ wrote:This is neither here nor there, but crowd notwithstanding, one drink was not good, the other was fine. A bar like Pegu Club or Clover Club sees as many people as Bar Deville, probably more, with the same number of bartenders. Again, I'm not passing judgment on BDV as a whole--I'll surely return--but my one experience was a bit underwhelming even if I'm focusing solely on what was in the glass.

I'm posting here because I inevitably mentally compared Pegu Club during my recent visit there to TVH, and then I remembered that Pegu Club was discussed in the Bar DeVille thread as well. I was at Pegu earlier on a Saturday night (we left at about 9:45), and although they were doing a brisk business on a Saturday, a seat was not hard to be had (compared to how slammed BDV can be on a Saturday night). Just an interesting observation - I wonder if Pegu has gotten a little rusty. Anyway, it made me have more respect how Brad and Co. can churn out the drinks at Bar DeVille, especially when the bar is two people thick.

My first impression of the Pegu Club was that the drink menu was sort of blasé, and lacked the creativity of TVH. I thought it appropriate to start with the Pegu Club Cocktail (their signature drink) and was surprised at how it far it tippled onto the sweet side. A strong squeeze of the lime garnish remedied this, though, but still. A Gin-Gin Mule was again a little too sweet. In my mind, I think Pegu falls short of TVH, and looking back at LTH today, I see that same sentiment was expressed here and here. Pegu Club is good, but it's not exactly the standard in my book. I'll probably go back to Pegu if I have the chance, but in the meantime, I'm happy cozying up to Bar DeVille for their low-key cocktails and TVH for a more "serious" cocktail experience with nary a thought toward Pegu, thankyouverymuch.
  • Post #74 - April 8th, 2010, 2:10 pm
    Post #74 - April 8th, 2010, 2:10 pm Post #74 - April 8th, 2010, 2:10 pm
    Just wanted to thank you all for the reviews on Bar DeVille. Took a trip over here last Friday night, a little earlier on in the night, around 6:30 pm, I think. It was pretty dead at the time -- only about a dozen people in the bar. Asked for a cocktail with bourbon (can't go wrong with that, right?) and ended up with one of the best Old Fashioned cocktails I've ever had the pleasure of trying. Huge zests of lemon and orange, the right balance of bitters, great bourbon -- fantastic. When my friend ordered a Coke, the bartender brought out a Mexican coke. Honestly, how can you not love this place?

I also love the atmosphere in here ... the back room really makes it a place worth hanging out at.

Successful first run ... will be back out here in a few weeks for my birthday. If you're bored on the 30th, drop by and see me after 7:30. I'll be the one downing the whiskey cocktails.
    -- Nora --
    "Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want." ~Gael Greene
  • Post #75 - April 8th, 2010, 3:00 pm
    Post #75 - April 8th, 2010, 3:00 pm Post #75 - April 8th, 2010, 3:00 pm
    GreenFish wrote:Successful first run ... will be back out here in a few weeks for my birthday. If you're bored on the 30th, drop by and see me after 7:30. I'll be the one downing the whiskey cocktails.

Yeah, I'm sure that will set you apart! :)

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

• Post #76 - April 8th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Post #76 - April 8th, 2010, 3:25 pm Post #76 - April 8th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Does being a lady count?

(Although my DH might beg to differ)
    -- Nora --
    "Great food is like great sex. The more you have the more you want." ~Gael Greene
  • Post #77 - April 19th, 2010, 6:54 am
    Post #77 - April 19th, 2010, 6:54 am Post #77 - April 19th, 2010, 6:54 am
    Went to Bar Deville, after the hockey game, for a nightcap. Just happened to walk up Damen.

There were maybe 6-8 people in the entire place. I was excited to stop in. We were served immediately
    after sitting down. Really nice bar, but the service was absolute crap. The bartenders ignored us the entire
    visit. Went to order a second round, and they just couldn't be bothered. After the fourth inquiry, we left.

The fourth inquiry was when they came down, to say hello, to some gals who came in.
    Still ignored us. We were the perfect gentlemen, not obnoxious, and did nothing but try to order.

Like I said 6-8 people...

Will never go here again. We let them know that on the way out. We thanked them for ignoring us.

Had a really nice experience at High Dive on Chicago. Nice people, good service.

Wasn't looking for an ass kissing just a night cap, these people could learn how to treat people better.

A little common courtesy may go a long way

Dave
  • Post #78 - April 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
    Post #78 - April 19th, 2010, 7:35 am Post #78 - April 19th, 2010, 7:35 am
    Stopped in this weekend for a pre-dinner drink with a fellow LTH'er. It was early around 6pm, so the place is pretty empty except for a table and one patron at the bar. Brad was still setting up for the night, so he was slow to acknowledge, but no biggie. However, when he did, oh ny, what lovely cocktails.

I told Brad that I like gin, nothing sweet or too tart. He came up with Clover Club: a lovely gin, touch of lemon, egg white and grenadine. So simple, yet so deliciously delicate and balanced.

For my friend, who was running late, with vague request for something, anything somewhat interesting. He came up with another gin drink The Hard Sell, this time with a fragrant essense of grapefruit floating on top. The subtle layers of flavor: sweetness upfront, then a slight grapefruit puckerness, then subtle bitter at the end conveying the bitterness of a grapefruit pith. Each sip was like a journey on my palate.

As much as I love Violet Hour, I prefer the cocktails here, the flavors are more subtle, more elegant, nuanced, and more balanced.

Of course, in our haste to make it to dinner, I left my cell on the bar, He ran the block to return it to me. Saved me, he did.

Will find out what the names of the cocktails are and repost here. Edited to add name of cocktails.
    Last edited by petite_gourmande on May 5th, 2010, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #79 - April 28th, 2010, 9:57 am
    Post #79 - April 28th, 2010, 9:57 am Post #79 - April 28th, 2010, 9:57 am
    I dont think I read anywhere on this thread about the dress code for Bar Devill(if I missed it I apologize).

Im planning a visit on a Saturday around opening time, and am curious about the dress code, and if that is a good time to experience this place at its best.
  • Post #80 - April 28th, 2010, 10:07 am
    Post #80 - April 28th, 2010, 10:07 am Post #80 - April 28th, 2010, 10:07 am
    We were there in the early evening on a Sat. night (around 6:00ish) and it was very quiet and very casual. Assuming you're thinking the same, I wouldn't worry about attire :P
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #81 - April 28th, 2010, 10:08 am
    Post #81 - April 28th, 2010, 10:08 am Post #81 - April 28th, 2010, 10:08 am
    jimswside wrote:I dont think I read anywhere on this thread about the dress code for Bar Devill(if I missed it I apologize).

Im planning a visit on a Saturday around opening time, and am curious about the dress code, and if that is a good time to experience this place at its best.

There's definitely no dress code. T-shirts, jeans, shorts, etc. wouldn't stick out at all. Wear anything you'd wear to any neighborhood tap and you'll be just fine.
  • Post #82 - April 28th, 2010, 10:13 am
    Post #82 - April 28th, 2010, 10:13 am Post #82 - April 28th, 2010, 10:13 am
    Khaopaat wrote:
    jimswside wrote:There's definitely no dress code. T-shirts, jeans, shorts, etc. wouldn't stick out at all. Wear anything you'd wear to any neighborhood tap and you'll be just fine.

thanks I appreciate the help, I like to be prepared.
  • Post #83 - April 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm
    Post #83 - April 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm Post #83 - April 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm
    No dress code, just be clothed. As long as you are CASH ONLY :!:

I'm already dreaming of the next surprise concoction that Brad feels like conjuring up, based on vague likes and dislikes from me. That's a master.
  • Post #84 - April 29th, 2010, 7:33 am
    Post #84 - April 29th, 2010, 7:33 am Post #84 - April 29th, 2010, 7:33 am
    petite_gourmande wrote:No dress code, just be clothed. As long as you are CASH ONLY :!:

I'm already dreaming of the next surprise concoction that Brad feels like conjuring up, based on vague likes and dislikes from me. That's a master.

for sure, I am looking forward to my first visit.

cash only, good to know. thanks for that heads up.
  • Post #85 - May 6th, 2010, 2:50 pm
    Post #85 - May 6th, 2010, 2:50 pm Post #85 - May 6th, 2010, 2:50 pm
    Wanted to update on my Friday night visit -- we went last Friday, arrived around 8 pm and the bar was pretty dead, still. They do have a cocktail & beer list available if you ask for it. It was enlightening and I ordered a [series of] fantastic egg white / rye cocktail[s] that carried me through most of the night. It was quiet in the front, but we wanted to settle in for the night, so we headed to the back room where no one was sitting yet. I did note there was one chair grouping that had a "reserved" sign on it. LOL.

We did get a waitress right away, too, but the service was a bit slow-going until things picked up later. I'd say it started to get busy around 10:30 and by 11:30 or so, all the seating in the back room was taken, but it never got overly crowded, in my opinion. The crowd was definitely mid-20 hipsterish, at least where we were at.

The music selection was a bit odd -- it started out more 70's/80's rock and then evolved into modern trip-hop and indie music (I guess as the crowd changed). The DJ booth was decorated with lights, but according to signs in their bathroom, the DJ only comes on Saturday nights.

Anyway -- all in all, had a great time hanging out here. Thanks to you all for finding this place!
    -- Nora --
  • Post #86 - May 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm
    Post #86 - May 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm Post #86 - May 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm
    GreenFish wrote:Wanted to update on my Friday night visit -- we went last Friday, arrived around 8 pm and the bar was pretty dead, still.

I was actually there from 7:30ish to 10ish, first time I had been in in months, but Jason remembered me. (I guess I was TOO good of a customer for a while)

It was the best time I had in a while, quite, got to BS with the bar staff, drank cocktails for the cycle (Tequila, Rum, Gin, Whisky) plus a couple of Monk's Flemish Sours. From talking to Jason, it was just a slow night, the crowd hasn't really changed since I stopped going 7 or 8 months ago .... really to bad, for me, I forgot how comfortable the place is.

SSDD

• Post #87 - May 6th, 2010, 7:39 pm
    Post #87 - May 6th, 2010, 7:39 pm Post #87 - May 6th, 2010, 7:39 pm
    My understanding from talking to Brad and Jason is that the crowd gets a little lighter when the weather is good. So, as we hit the warmer time of year, it might not be quite as crowded as it is during the winter months. I am long overdue for a visit. That, I know for sure. 8)

=R=
  • Post #88 - May 9th, 2010, 7:28 am
    Post #88 - May 9th, 2010, 7:28 am Post #88 - May 9th, 2010, 7:28 am
    Another neat place on my day in the city yesterday. I was really looking forward to a visit to Bar Deville for a while now, and it lived up to what expected. I left myself in the hands of Brad, and asked him to make me up a drink with tequila, the only 2 ingredients I remember were bitters, and Don Julio anejo. A tasty concoction that knocked me on my ass. Next time this will be a first stop, not the 3rd drinking stop so i could have more than one drink.

petite_gourmande's tasty martini I believe:

sorry about the pictures, my balance was a little off.
  • Post #89 - October 10th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    Post #89 - October 10th, 2010, 10:38 pm Post #89 - October 10th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    It had been too long since I'd been to DeVille, so my wife and I made it part of our 3-stop, 15th anniversary tour this past Saturday. After a late lunch and a few starter drinks at The Publican, we headed north to Bar DeVille, where we were delighted to find Jason behind the bar. Needless to say, he took great care of us. It was early -- just after 5 -- and we were the only people in the joint, so we sat at the bar, caught up with Jason and had a couple rounds.

I told Jason I was having rum and he could make whatever he liked for me. I had an Ernest and another custom job, in which Jason deftly incorporated St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram in a way that worked marvelously.

The wife was hitting up the gin and started with an Aviation. After that, she changed gears and went with the signature DeVille, which she had been craving for some time.

I just love all the people who operate DeVille and the vibe there, too. It's one of our all-time favorite places. Their cocktails are sensational. We hung out for a little over an hour and would have stayed even longer but we had a schedule to stick to. We said our goodbyes, promised ourselves (and Jason) that we'd return soon to spend an entire evening there, and headed north to The Whistler, where more anniversary libations lay in wait for us. :)

=R=
  • Post #90 - November 8th, 2010, 10:30 pm
    Post #90 - November 8th, 2010, 10:30 pm Post #90 - November 8th, 2010, 10:30 pm
    I don't know how much I can add to this thread without repeating myself but I hate to make a trip to Bar DeVille without singing its praises here. It remains one of my favorite places in the city for cocktails. I met up with a group of friends there last Thursday afternoon and had an absolutely stellar time. I was drinking Whiskey, so Jason made me a Daisy and my all-time favorite, an Old Fashioned. Both cocktails were stellar -- meticulously made and well-balanced. They handle the classics with aplomb and can innovate with the best of them. Beyond the cocktails, though, DeVille is a haven of hospitality and knowledge of the craft. I feel very at home at DeVille and almost always learn something new or get to taste something that's new to me. It's so easy to love this place.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more