LTH Home

small milkshakes and malts

small milkshakes and malts
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • small milkshakes and malts

Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:11 pm
    Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:11 pm Post #1 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:11 pm
    I'll restrain myself from a big rant decrying the super-sizing of America, inducing us all to gluttony and/or waste. I just wish that I could still order a small drink and have it be actually sort of small--or have "small" exist as a choice at all. I think we could still have the Big Gulps for the "more/bigger is better" folks without eliminating the old-fashioned "small" for those of us who just plain lack the capacity for a 20 oz. drink if there is also food to be consumed.

Anyway, I was at Potbelly's the other day, enjoying a vanilla malt, and I reflected, as I usually do there, that their milkshakes and malts are most attractive to me because they are a perfect size (imho, of course). I've never asked exactly what the size is, nor taken a cup home to find out, but it's probably in the 8-12 oz. neighborhood. Suffice it to say that it's a heck of a lot smaller than any shake or malt available at any national fast-food or ice cream chain I know of (not that such a product is what I'm seeking anyway). I experienced a very nice malt of the same size or so this past summer at Superdawg.

Can anyone direct me to any other nice small milkshakes and malts (the kind with real ice cream rather than the mystery that is a McDonald's "shake" or a Wendy's frosty)? Fortunately, I have a 1-year-old, so it will soon be plausible for me to order items intended for children!
  • Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:29 pm
    Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:29 pm Post #2 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:29 pm
    Hi,

On Tuesday evening, I was on my way to Costco in Glenview. I realized I was quite hungry, which is particularly dangerous when food shopping. You begin to buy food you never planned on and more than you need.

I noticed a brand new Steak and Shake on Willow Road just west of Waukegan Road. I ordered a small chocolate malt shake and a small hamburger. I just checked their website, I believe they gave me a Jr. sized milkshake intended for children. What I liked was the small size which let me have the taste and feel without going overboard calorically. The shake had a dab of whipping cream and a cherry, which always completes the picture.

By the way, the hamburger was really very good. I had them dress it with mustard, onion, lettuce, tomato and thousand island sauce. The onion was a full slice which was cool and snapped when I bit into it. The lettuce leaf was not iceberg, but a full leaf lettuce also rather cool and crisp. Clearly, it was a hamburger freshly cooked just for me. Pretty darn good for drive through and not too long of a wait.

My small meal allowed me to navigate Costco without buying everything in sight. Though I did return for seconds of the chili they were sampling.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:42 pm
    Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:42 pm Post #3 - December 2nd, 2004, 4:42 pm
    I believe Superdawg serves a manageably-sized shake. It's good enough that I wish it was bigger.
  • Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:08 pm
    Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:08 pm Post #4 - December 2nd, 2004, 5:08 pm
    Here's my advice: wait until your son ages a few years, and then order the full-sized shake at the restaurant of your choice. Then swipe a few sips or finish what he leaves you. That's my calorie-conscious plan with my kids. Of course you could get pregnant again, in which case milk shakes can be part of your daily diet. I had many in that condition at Prairie Joe's in north Evanston (on Central at Prairie, just west of Green Bay.) The shakes are very good there and it's such a homey place (and great for kids) that they might make you a smaller one if you asked.
    ToniG
  • Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 6:40 pm
    Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 6:40 pm Post #5 - December 2nd, 2004, 6:40 pm
    My wife goes to Wendy's before Holloween and buys the 10 Jr. Frosties for $1 and uses them herself.

As for me, I just bring the nieces and nephews (and some extra cups) along so that I have help drinking the extra large size.
  • Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:00 pm
    Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:00 pm Post #6 - December 2nd, 2004, 7:00 pm
    Hi,

On occasion, I can be found at Burger King for breakfast. If there is a sale or coupon for a Whopper, which often stipulate with purchase of a drink and fries. I will order the super sized Coke and two cups with ice. I split the Coke between the two cups (I am not by myself); sometimes I get even cheekier and ask for a free refill on my Coke. Instead of fries, I get onion rings.

I believe Burger King is a Pepsi outlet, an important distinction to them but not to me.

Anywhere there are free refills, I order the small drink with ice. If no free refills, then medium with no ice. I will also drink tap water with ice.

Years ago at Culinary Historians we had a guest speaker talk about tea rooms in Atlanta. When she was a child visiting her relative's tea room, it was a big treat to have a Coca Cola because usually they drank milk (it does a body good) at meals. Years later when she read the menu, she realized this treat was her Mother saving money. It was more expensive to buy a glass of milk than a Coca Cola. Today the opposite is true, often a glass of milk (it does a body good) costs much less than the Coca Cola. Like Pavlov's pooch, I have been conditioned to reach for a Coke when I am out and about.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:13 pm
    Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:13 pm Post #7 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:13 pm
    I had a small pumpkin malt at Culver's the other day. It was indeed small, made with custard and delicious. A bit of texture was added...I believe to simulate crust.

pd
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:48 pm
    Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:48 pm Post #8 - December 2nd, 2004, 8:48 pm
    On my way home from Michigan after Thanksgiving I stopped at a Steak & Shake. At last the time had come to sample one of their side-by-side milkshakes (I went with banana/chocolate). The Chow Poodle ordered a child size strawberry, which came in a regular water tumbler sized galss.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:12 pm
    Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:12 pm Post #9 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:On occasion, I can be found at Burger King for breakfast. If there is a sale or coupon for a Whopper, which often stipulate with purchase of a drink and fries. I will order the super sized Coke and two cups with ice. I split the Coke between the two cups (I am not by myself); sometimes I get even cheekier and ask for a free refill on my Coke. Instead of fries, I get onion rings.

I believe Burger King is a Pepsi outlet, an important distinction to them but not to me.

Did you mean that BK is a Coke outlet? I believe they moved from Pepsi to Coke a decade or so ago. As for breakfast, nothing beats a Whopper and fries/onion rings (and those survey coupons that came on the receipts... perfect!), but Crossan'wiches, nuked or warmed, always hit the spot for me. Also, I find that the lime freezes are a nice alternative to the straight-up milk shakes at Steak 'n Shake (though I don't know whether they're easier on the digestive tract or not).
  • Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:39 pm
    Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:39 pm Post #10 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:39 pm
    BK switched to Coke years ago when the YUM Restaurants (Taco Bell, KFC, and Pizza Hut) were all owned by Pepsico.
  • Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:47 pm
    Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:47 pm Post #11 - December 2nd, 2004, 11:47 pm
    Years ago at Culinary Historians we had a guest speaker talk about tea rooms in Atlanta. When she was a child visiting her relative's tea room, it was a big treat to have a Coca Cola because usually they drank milk (it does a body good) at meals. Years later when she read the menu, she realized this treat was her Mother saving money. It was more expensive to buy a glass of milk than a Coca Cola.

Was this Mildred Coleman who talked about the Frances Virginia Tea Room in Atlanta? I was at that CH event and purchased her cookbook! The Frances Virginia Tea Room menu had Coca-Cola for .10 and sweet milk, .15.

Steak & Shake is one of my favorites. Thanks for the heads-up on the lime freeze!
  • Post #12 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:19 am
    Post #12 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:19 am Post #12 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:19 am
    Was this Mildred Coleman who talked about the Frances Virginia Tea Room in Atlanta?

Yes, indeed. She came the very next day to the very memorable Maxwell Street tour with Steve Balkin. She taught me to eat a pork chop sandwich by finding the bone with your fingers, then rotating around the bone axis to eat the soft meat.

I hope you are coming to Culinary Historians tomorrow. Several posters are usually present, though undercover because nobody knows were here except us! :roll:
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:56 am
    Post #13 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:56 am Post #13 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:56 am
    Apple wrote:Steak & Shake is one of my favorites. Thanks for the heads-up on the lime freeze!

Lime was the first flavor of freeze I tried, and I stuck with it pretty much after that. One of the servers, when asked, stated that orange was (if not the most) a popular flavor, but I found that it tasted like a distinctly different product (though I can't quite remember what right now). At least I was once recommended the Frisco Melt, which is quite the sandwich concoction. (It's good.)
  • Post #14 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:16 am
    Post #14 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:16 am Post #14 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:16 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:Lime was the first flavor of freeze I tried, and I stuck with it pretty much after that.

I have never tried a Steak&Shake Freeze. Are they at all like the Limeades at Sonic? Or, if you know, are they more like the Sonic Slushes?

Erik M.
  • Post #15 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:39 am
    Post #15 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:39 am Post #15 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:39 am
    Erik M. wrote:I have never tried a Steak&Shake Freeze. Are they at all like the Limeades at Sonic? Or, if you know, are they more like the Sonic Slushes?

I suppose Steak 'n Shakes' freezes may be most like the Slushes you mention, but there appears to be some milk content in the Freezes (and a similar consistency to milk shakes).

Unfortunately, I can't provide the best frame of reference. You see, I've never been that far south here in the Midwest. It's either here, Joliet, Peoria, or Kansas City, but nothing in between (at least by car). So I've never made it to Springfield, Champaign, or St. Louis. (gasp!), and therefore have never been to a Sonic. (Yeah, I know Sonics can be found in other areas, including Kansas City, but I didn't make many adventurous choices on the big road trip out west b/c I didn't want to disappoint the group I was travelling with. At least I got them to try In-N-Out Burger, which I had tried before. :))

At any rate, your comment most reminded me of the Limeade drink Minute Maid puts out in stores. Pretty tasty, but by no means a thick drink (at least, not yet).

--Dan
  • Post #16 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:46 am
    Post #16 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:46 am Post #16 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:46 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:Unfortunately, I can't provide the best frame of reference. You see, I've never been that far south here in the Midwest. [...] I've never made it to Springfield, Champaign, or St. Louis. (gasp!), and therefore have never been to a Sonic.

Thanks, Dan.

I used to live in N.C., so I frequented Sonic. I liked them quite a bit. At any rate, I also like Steak&Shake, so it won't be too long before I give it a whirl. Though, on my next visit to an S&S, I know that I will give some serious consideration to the seasonal egg nog shake offering.

Regards,
    Erik M.
  • Post #17 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:51 am
    Post #17 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:51 am Post #17 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:51 am
    Erik M. wrote:...the seasonal egg nog shake offering.

A seasonal egg nog shake?? I guess that's one more reason to visit the Shake before Christmas. Thanks for the heads-up. (I wonder how long it'll be around?)
  • Post #18 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:57 am
    Post #18 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:57 am Post #18 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:57 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:A seasonal egg nog shake?? I guess that's one more reason to visit the Shake before Christmas.

I know, right? For at least, what, twenty years, my brother and I have looked forward to the time that they go on offer at McD's. Now, I get to try S&S.

BTW, Culver's version is pretty good. I just had one out in Huntley, IL.

Erik M.
  • Post #19 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:59 am
    Post #19 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:59 am Post #19 - December 3rd, 2004, 11:59 am
    Holly of Uptown wrote:Anyway, I was at Potbelly's the other day, enjoying a vanilla malt...

Oh, and just to get back on topic, I've never had any shake-type beverages when I've gone to Potbelly(Sandwich Work)s. I wonder if I should try something there -- it might go well with the toasted peppers in my sandwich. Any recommendations besides the vanilla? (It's not exactly my flavor of the month.)

As for other places, I haven't had a McDonald's ice cream/yogurt sundae or shake in years (though that Shamrock Shake pulled me through feverish marketing and alluring pics). I can't vouch for Wendy's shakes after trying a pint-sized one a year ago; it just didn't do it for me. I do have a B1G1 free coupon for a 28 oz. Slurpee, however, but I must admit that that is a lot for one person to drink (one or both). Can't beat frozen Cokes and Mountain Dew, though.

--Dan
  • Post #20 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:03 pm
    Post #20 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:03 pm Post #20 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:03 pm
    Erik M. wrote:I know, right? For at least, what, twenty years, my brother and I have looked forward to the time that they go on offer at McD's. Now, I get to try S&S.

BTW, Culver's version is pretty good. I just had one out in Huntley, IL.

Hmm, they've probably had that at McD's for a long time, right? Man, the stuff I miss sometimes. I'll make it a point to stop by and pick one up this year. I'd visit Culver's more often if I lived closer to the western suburbs, but it's the prospect of the Butterburger (another curious invention I need to try) that draws me (to come) back. A small serving size (and price) would certainly aid in my ability (and willingness) to sample all these dairy delights.

--Dan
  • Post #21 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:11 pm
    Post #21 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:11 pm Post #21 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:11 pm
    Just one question: what's the difference between a shake and a malt? My general cheapness has prevented me to trying too many different beverages in the past, so I could use a brief education here. Here's the definition of malted milk I found at dictionary.com:

1. A soluble powder made of dried milk, malted barley, and wheat flour.
    2. A beverage made by mixing milk with this powder and adding ice cream and flavoring. Also called malt, malted.

So a malt has powdered sprouted grain and/or wheat flour in it? Please forgive the ignorance/inconvenience.

--Dan
  • Post #22 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:34 pm
    Post #22 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:34 pm Post #22 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:34 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:Just one question: what's the difference between a shake and a malt? My general cheapness has prevented me to trying too many different beverages in the past, so I could use a brief education here. Here's the definition of malted milk I found at dictionary.com:

2. A beverage made by mixing milk with this powder and adding ice cream and flavoring. Also called malt, malted.

So a malt has powdered sprouted grain and/or wheat flour in it? Please forgive the ignorance/inconvenience.

--Dan

Yes. You are correct. Give that man a wafer! BTW. I'm a malt man all the way!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:48 pm
    Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:48 pm Post #23 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:48 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:Just one question: what's the difference between a shake and a malt? My general cheapness has prevented me to trying too many different beverages in the past, so I could use a brief education here. Here's the definition of malted milk I found at dictionary.com:

--Dan

What stevez said.. you're right on that.

A malt costs the same as a shake at any Potbelly in the city. And they're pretty good, too.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:53 pm
    Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:53 pm Post #24 - December 3rd, 2004, 12:53 pm
    Ohhh Baby, this website purports to be the history of malted milk...at least from the Horlick point of view.

I don't vouch for the veracity, but it certainly makes sense (adding easily digestable grain to milk) that this instant, lightweight, complete protein concotion was created for infants and infirm. I can't remember the last time a malt did not make me feel better :D Then again, part of the reason fakelore gets adopted is becasue it makes sense at some level.

pd
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:12 pm
    Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:12 pm Post #25 - December 3rd, 2004, 1:12 pm
    That was quite informative. Thanks, everybody!
  • Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:39 pm
    Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:39 pm Post #26 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:39 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    Holly of Uptown wrote:Anyway, I was at Potbelly's the other day, enjoying a vanilla malt...

Oh, and just to get back on topic, I've never had any shake-type beverages when I've gone to Potbelly(Sandwich Work)s. I wonder if I should try something there -- it might go well with the toasted peppers in my sandwich. Any recommendations besides the vanilla? (It's not exactly my flavor of the month.)

Oh man, are you kidding me that you've never had Potbelly's shakes? They're so good, and I've definitely been around when it comes to milkshakes. I can't stand the ones made from frozen yogurt, and I also don't like my shakes too sweet or too thin. Potbellys uses real ice cream and has just the right thick consistency. My favorite flavor is the Mocha. In fact, I've never ordered any other flavor. I've had sips of others' drinks, but I stick w/ the mocha. Also gotta love the little ring cookie they place around the straw.

If you get around to trying it, let me know what you think.

Johnny Rockets also has decent ice cream milk shakes, and it's nice that they give you the metal container w/ the overfill, but it's such a large quantity, that it kind of grosses me out unless I split it w/ someone else.
  • Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:43 pm
    Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:43 pm Post #27 - December 3rd, 2004, 2:43 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:

I quite like the oreo malt, which is vanilla ice cream mixed with crumbled oreos and malt powder. the cup is topped with 3 mini oreos as well, and the straw has the ubiquitous butter cookie.

-ed
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:17 pm
    Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:17 pm Post #28 - December 3rd, 2004, 8:17 pm
    Disclosure: I'm a manager of Sweet Occasions at 4639 N Damen and now at 3731 N Clark (former location of Sweetie's Ice Cream).

Our small shake or malt is a 16 oz. About 4 oz bigger than the Potbelly Shake. We have 16, 20, and 24 oz shakes/malts.

I keep trying malts and keep not liking them. They just taste sour to me and I can't get over it. I try them everytime I overshoot a malt--chocolate, egg nog, vanilla, everything. and I just don't like them.
  • Post #29 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:05 pm
    Post #29 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:05 pm Post #29 - December 3rd, 2004, 10:05 pm
    I'm glad to have the recs for Steak & Shake--I'll be checking them out soon! I have a friend who told me that the key to ordering from the children's-only menu without actually having children was to go to the drive-through, so that will be my strategy.:)

fastfoodsnob wrote:Any recommendations besides the vanilla? (It's not exactly my flavor of the month.)

I've actually only had the chocolate and vanilla, and I think both are very good (I'm not a coffee fan and I like my fruit and dairy separate!). I will be trying the oreo soon--I didn't realize it was a choice! It always seemed to me that the more interesting choices were limited to the yogurt smoothies, which I've avoided.

If you haven't had a malt, get one!! Really, it's better than the dictionary definitions make it sound! Growing up, we always used malt powder as an ice cream topping. Mmmmmm.
  • Post #30 - December 4th, 2004, 7:27 am
    Post #30 - December 4th, 2004, 7:27 am Post #30 - December 4th, 2004, 7:27 am
    Holly of Uptown wrote:I'm glad to have the recs for Steak & Shake--I'll be checking them out soon! I have a friend who told me that the key to ordering from the children's-only menu without actually having children was to go to the drive-through, so that will be my strategy.:)

fastfoodsnob wrote:Any recommendations besides the vanilla? (It's not exactly my flavor of the month.)

I've actually only had the chocolate and vanilla, and I think both are very good (I'm not a coffee fan and I like my fruit and dairy separate!). I will be trying the oreo soon--I didn't realize it was a choice! It always seemed to me that the more interesting choices were limited to the yogurt smoothies, which I've avoided.

If you haven't had a malt, get one!! Really, it's better than the dictionary definitions make it sound! Growing up, we always used malt powder as an ice cream topping. Mmmmmm.

My wife always orders from the child's menu every time we go (which is usually when we are on the road somewhere, as a quick stop at S&S is many steps above going to any of the fast food burger chains). There has never been a problem doing that at any S&S we have ever been to. No drive-thru subterfuge needed. On the menu on my most recent visit (Saturday after Thanksgiving) were a bunch of flavors beside the obvious including a new white chocolate shake, peanut butter and, of course, that holiday favorite egg nog.

In terms of a malt. I always get one. Think the taste of malted milk balls mixed with your shake.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events