LTH Home

Katy's Dumpling House [Hand-pulled Noodles]

Katy's Dumpling House [Hand-pulled Noodles]
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 23rd, 2010, 7:12 pm
    Post #31 - March 23rd, 2010, 7:12 pm Post #31 - March 23rd, 2010, 7:12 pm
    Everytime we go to the in-laws, and we ask what they want for lunch, they always shrug and say "Anything is fine". We know better and wait a few seconds, and then we hear "Let's go to the noodle place"... :)

Our favorite besides the fried noodles? #110: (I think) Fish and sour vegetable soup... Spicy (or not), light broth, perfectly cooked fish fillets, tangy preserved vegetables.
  • Post #32 - March 23rd, 2010, 10:58 pm
    Post #32 - March 23rd, 2010, 10:58 pm Post #32 - March 23rd, 2010, 10:58 pm
    A 30+ mile drive in each direction from my house to Katy's is never an obstacle. When I crave it, I make the drive without hesitation. I love taking friends who've never been there. They're always blown away by it. It's far and away the best place of its kind in Chicagoland. And I have to add (as was mentioned above), this is one of those places that, if not for LTH, I would have never known about. A definite renewal in my personal opinion.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - March 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm
    Post #33 - March 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm Post #33 - March 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm
    As one who is fortunate to work about 15 minutes away, I hardly ever make it to Katy's - I have not counted, but I suspect that my total visits in the last two years probably total less than 60.

One reason I go to Katy's so often is the range of food that covers all seasons. Cold noodles and soy chicken in the summer, Dan Dan noodles or Spicy Beef noodle soup in the winter. Pancakes and pot stickers any time. Whatever the weather, I can look outside and say to myself with a smile, "Katy's would be just perfect today."

There is a question to be addressed with this renewal - are both the Westmont and Naperville locations now GNRs, or just Westmont? We would normally ask the OP, but Flip has decamped to Connecticut, so we must decide without him. For my part, while I really like the large, Naperville, location and as much of its menu as I have sampled, it is definitely not the same as the Westmont hole-in-the wall, so I would limit this GNR to Westmont. Naperville may be a GNR, but it is not this GNR.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #34 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:49 am
    Post #34 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:49 am Post #34 - April 3rd, 2010, 6:49 am
    LTH,

Katy's Dumpling House is one of the few places I will happily go West of Harlem Ave for, was last there two weeks ago with two Katy's virgins and they were blown away at the bold delicious flavors.

Katy's Dumpling House, count me a fan!

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - April 3rd, 2010, 7:10 am
    Post #35 - April 3rd, 2010, 7:10 am Post #35 - April 3rd, 2010, 7:10 am
    Katy's remains at the top of their game and should be a shoe in for GNR renewal. The only thing that has changed at Katy's over the last two years is that Mr. Red Shirt has expanded his wardrobe to include shirts of other colors, though on my most recent visit last week he was wearing the traditional red.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - April 4th, 2010, 10:06 pm
    Post #36 - April 4th, 2010, 10:06 pm Post #36 - April 4th, 2010, 10:06 pm
    Hi,

Tomorrow evening I have a meeting on the south side. The bright spot for me is the opportunity to have dinner at Katy's Dumpling House. When I am solo, I go for the shredded pancakes with pork.

Just because I am excited 24-hours in advance of dinner puts Katy's into my GNR sweet spot.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more