LTH Home

Hot Dougs [Sausage Superstore]

Hot Dougs [Sausage Superstore]
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - March 28th, 2010, 8:00 pm
    Post #31 - March 28th, 2010, 8:00 pm Post #31 - March 28th, 2010, 8:00 pm
    Is there a limit to GNR's? If not, why rush to kick one out just because others have found it and enjoy it?

I would love to find a day when GNR's didn't matter because GNR status was the standard for every place serving food in Chicagoland.

Yes, I also wish for world peace and the ability to eat as much as I please without gaining weight. :wink:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #32 - March 28th, 2010, 9:47 pm
    Post #32 - March 28th, 2010, 9:47 pm Post #32 - March 28th, 2010, 9:47 pm
    aschie30 wrote:How many of us who have commented actually have been to Hot Doug's over the last two years? Maybe it's just me, but I'm allergic to the lines.

My last visit was in July 2009. I'm with you on the lines, which is why I don't go as often as I would if one could stroll right in on a whim. From that perspective, maybe the lines aren't so bad, because the last thing I need is to be able to stroll into Hot Doug's for some sausages whenever I feel like it ;)
  • Post #33 - March 29th, 2010, 7:37 am
    Post #33 - March 29th, 2010, 7:37 am Post #33 - March 29th, 2010, 7:37 am
    aschie30 wrote:Anyway, my point is, that it's so crowded, nobody goes there anymore.

Yogi Berra aside, like most really crowded places, the waits aren't that bad all of the time. If you go earlier in the week (esp Monday-Wednesday), and go a little earlier than noon or later than 2pm, you are very likely to have a short wait. Also, remember that some of us live or work in or near this neighborhood. While going for an 11am sausage on a Monday may not be feasible or desirable for everyone, for others it's quite easy.
  • Post #34 - March 29th, 2010, 7:59 am
    Post #34 - March 29th, 2010, 7:59 am Post #34 - March 29th, 2010, 7:59 am
    Darren72 wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:Anyway, my point is, that it's so crowded, nobody goes there anymore.

Yogi Berra aside, like most really crowded places, the waits aren't that bad all of the time. If you go earlier in the week (esp Monday-Wednesday), and go a little earlier than noon or later than 2pm, you are very likely to have a short wait. Also, remember that some of us live or work in or near this neighborhood. While going for an 11am sausage on a Monday may not be feasible or desirable for everyone, for others it's quite easy.

Hot Doug's line, the last time I was there:
    10:45 on a Wednesday morning. Sausage for breakfast - nothin' wrong with that!
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #35 - March 29th, 2010, 8:17 am
    Post #35 - March 29th, 2010, 8:17 am Post #35 - March 29th, 2010, 8:17 am
    LTH,

I am fully for GNR renewal.

Doug is the perfect host, in his own inimitable fashion, the place is busy, spotless and efficient as a Bullet Train. Encased meats are alway perfectly prepare and delicious, with the exception a rattlesnake sausage about three years ago, and the fries, both duck and regular are top o the heap.

I've been fairly recently, usually go around 11am, not much of a line, early lunch and on my way in 20-minutes with a full belly and smile on my face.

Hot Doug's, count me a fan!

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #36 - March 29th, 2010, 9:30 am
    Post #36 - March 29th, 2010, 9:30 am Post #36 - March 29th, 2010, 9:30 am
    jimswside wrote:If Hot Dougs isnt a GNR I dont know what is.

What he said.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #37 - March 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm
    Post #37 - March 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm Post #37 - March 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm
    I have to (begrudgingly) agree with Wendy. While Hot Doug's is interesting, my impression is that it's more hype than substance. The dogs I've had there have been nice, and interesting, but not worth the long waits in line. It's the long lines that, for me, reduces it from a "Great" neighborhood restaurant to one that's merely a 'Good" neighborhood restaurant. I understand that Doug's business model has evolved to rely on long lines, and it probably adds a certain cachet to the experience once you get inside. In some ways, it seems similar to the Cheesecake Factory strategy of closing rooms that could otherwise handle the crowds, to build a line and increase anticipation.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Hot Doug's wasn't renewed for a GNR.
    Last edited by nr706 on March 29th, 2010, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #38 - March 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm
    Post #38 - March 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm Post #38 - March 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm
    nr706 wrote:I understand that Doug's business model has evolved to rely on long lines, and it probably adds a certain caché to the experience once you get inside. In some ways, it seems similar to the Cheesecake Factory strategy of closing rooms that could otherwise handle the crowds, to build a line and increase anticipation.

This statement confuses me - I fail to see how the two are remotely similar. One example has huge crowds descending on a small place that has had limited business hours since its inception, and the other is a huge place that decreases its capacity in response to decreased demand and, as it might appear to outside observers (me being one of them), to make itself seem crowded & popular. What's the relation?
  • Post #39 - March 29th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Post #39 - March 29th, 2010, 2:30 pm Post #39 - March 29th, 2010, 2:30 pm
    Lunch here today--duck sausage w/foie gras and truffle aoli & small fries--waited about 20 minutes max at 12:45. As always, delicious. I'd say that it's worth the wait and GNR status because Doug is clearly creative with his medium, obsessive about product quality and delivering an enjoyable dining experience.

There are plenty of folks who don't like to go to restaurants that won't take reservations (what I consider Hot Doug's to be) and that doesn't disqualify anyone else from GNR consideration as far as I know, although it might wipe them off some diners' culinary maps. For someone to make the argument that because it's a "hot dog" place with a line, it doesn't rate consideration as a special restaurant, seems like a pretty bizarre argument in light of this board's emphasis on "neighborhood" places. Or maybe we need to change the name of the category to GNRTNKA--Great Neighborhood Restaurants That No One Knows About--whew!!! What a mouthful :twisted:
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #40 - March 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    Post #40 - March 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm Post #40 - March 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm
    nr706 wrote:a certain caché

Just 'cuz I'm a geek this way... I think you mean cachet.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #41 - March 29th, 2010, 2:54 pm
    Post #41 - March 29th, 2010, 2:54 pm Post #41 - March 29th, 2010, 2:54 pm
    you're right - I'll correct it.
  • Post #42 - March 29th, 2010, 2:56 pm
    Post #42 - March 29th, 2010, 2:56 pm Post #42 - March 29th, 2010, 2:56 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:For someone to make the argument that because it's a "hot dog" place with a line, it doesn't rate consideration as a special restaurant, seems like a pretty bizarre argument in light of this board's emphasis on "neighborhood" places. Or maybe we need to change the name of the category to GNRTNKA--Great Neighborhood Restaurants That No One Knows About--whew!!! What a mouthful :twisted:

I don't think that anyone is arguing that a hot dog place with a line doesn't merit consideration. Rather, going back to the early days of the GNRs many years ago, yes, there was in fact a desire to award great restaurants that nobody knew about. Now, that has evolved a bit, and over time, the GNRs have expanded to include restaurants that people have (gasp!) known about prior to awarding the GNR. But, in the case of Hot Doug's, and I'll add Kuma's to that list, they both have -- inarguably -- become different restaurants from what they were when they were first awarded their GNRs, if only because the former is no longer a tucked away, unknown place where you can regularly pop in, say hi to the owner, get takeout or sit down in reasonably short order and have a relatively inexpensively meal (and the latter, for similar reasons, but also other reasons, which I won't get into here as it's not up for renewal). Now, Hot Doug's has become the Frontera Grill of hot dogs, where you hope you catch it at the right time, and if not, you're in line for hours with the tourists.

Thanks to all who answered my question above -- I'm glad to see that people still have been able to go there within the last two years (and that their comments are based on recent visits). As I said, I haven't had the tenacity to brave the lines that have existed at practically all odd times I've driven by there.
    Last edited by aschie30 on March 29th, 2010, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #43 - March 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm
    Post #43 - March 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm Post #43 - March 29th, 2010, 3:04 pm
    Khaopaat wrote:
    nr706 wrote:I understand that Doug's business model has evolved to rely on long lines, and it probably adds a certain caché to the experience once you get inside. In some ways, it seems similar to the Cheesecake Factory strategy of closing rooms that could otherwise handle the crowds, to build a line and increase anticipation.

This statement confuses me - I fail to see how the two are remotely similar. One example has huge crowds descending on a small place that has had limited business hours since its inception, and the other is a huge place that decreases its capacity in response to decreased demand and, as it might appear to outside observers (me being one of them), to make itself seem crowded & popular. What's the relation?

I'm thinking that if Doug wanted to make a more comfortable experience for his guests, he could find a way to expand - either with an addition to the building or a second location. That he chooses not to suggests he's comfortable having lines out the door and around the block, and he may think, as Cheesecake Factory does, that lines build anticipation and lead to customers feeling lucky to experience something that's really not all that special (I'm not denigrating Doug's product, just commenting on the experience of trying to get a meal there.
  • Post #44 - March 29th, 2010, 3:07 pm
    Post #44 - March 29th, 2010, 3:07 pm Post #44 - March 29th, 2010, 3:07 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    Khaopaat wrote:

I'm thinking that if Doug wanted to make a more comfortable experience for his guests, he could find a way to expand - either with an addition to the building or a second location. That he chooses not to suggests he's comfortable having lines out the door and around the block, and he may think, as Cheesecake Factory does, that lines build anticipation and lead to customers feeling lucky to experience something that's really not all that special (I'm not denigrating Doug's product, just commenting on the experience of trying to get a meal there.

Yes, or he could open an adjoining tea parlor with soft music and masseuses to create a more comfortable waiting experience.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #45 - March 29th, 2010, 3:08 pm
    Post #45 - March 29th, 2010, 3:08 pm Post #45 - March 29th, 2010, 3:08 pm
    For the record, Hot Doug's has had lines since day 1 in their old location on Roscoe. The lines are not a new occurrence owing to any new-found popularity. People have always thought that Hot Doug's was good enough to line up for. As I've already said, the charm is lost on me, but I can't take anything away form Hot Doug's and its resonance with nearly everyone else on the board.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #46 - March 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm
    Post #46 - March 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm Post #46 - March 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm
    Kennyz wrote:Yes, or he could open an adjoining tea parlor with soft music and masseuses to create a more comfortable waiting experience.

Now, that would make a definite GNR.
  • Post #47 - March 29th, 2010, 3:26 pm
    Post #47 - March 29th, 2010, 3:26 pm Post #47 - March 29th, 2010, 3:26 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    Khaopaat wrote:

And then we could complain that things aren't as good since the "expansion" a la Salam :twisted:

I've been going to Hot Doug's since 2002. There were always lines (granted they've gained some steam over the years :lol: )and I've always chosen to go outside of prime time on weekends. I don't go for the Chicago hot dog experience (for that, I'll run down the street to Murphy's which is very good and convenient for that.) I go to Doug's for specialty preparations of sausage with accompaniments, not unlike going to Publican for the charcuterie platter. Always different, always creative, always high quality. Incidentally, I don't always love what I order but love the experience and the creativity.

I'm surprised there's even this much discussion regarding renewal since from my experience, nothing has changed at Hot Doug's except for the location and the updated wall signs.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #48 - March 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm
    Post #48 - March 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm Post #48 - March 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm
    I don't know why we should begrudge a restaurant's popularity if there is no impact on the food.

With Kuma's, if they can't cook your burger to a desired level of done-ness because they're so slammed, then that's a problem.

At Hot Doug's over the summer I experienced lines of anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes, and the food was great regardless. That and Doug is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, which surely adds to the wait time.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #49 - April 1st, 2010, 7:57 pm
    Post #49 - April 1st, 2010, 7:57 pm Post #49 - April 1st, 2010, 7:57 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Hot Doug's, count me a fan!

I'm not sure people Doug named a sausage after should be allowed a vote. Not, of course, that I believe that would influence your opinion. :twisted:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more