Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm
    Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm Post #1 - February 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm
    Badou Senegalese Cuisine
    2055 W Howard St
    Chicago, IL 60645
    http://www.badousenegalesecuisine.com/

Main review thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36493

I celebrated my birthday at Badou with a group of 12 friends, including Hellodali. We called ahead, and Badou said he would put together a meal. Having been there before, I trusted it would be great, and it sure was. Empanadas, chicken pasteles, mafe, djollof rice, whole red snapper, and lamb shank, all excellent. The specifics of many dishes have been well covered in the main thread, and everyone who has been to Badou’s place has enjoyed it.

We have had at least two more large group dinners there, with a mostly different menu than before, excepting the mandatory djollof rice. I have to say this is one of my favorite restaurants ever. Not only has all of the food been excellent, one really feels the warmth of having someone cook for you who truly loves what he does.

What makes this a GNR (besides the food) is Badou, his wife, and the other staff, who create a truly memorable evening. He has always been a most gracious host, coming out to explain each dish and chat with us and serve us from the family-style platters. It really is like eating in Badou's home. As long as you can relax and don't need to be anywhere, a dinner at Badou is a wonderful experience. For those of us who like to take our time over meals, it’s a great antidote for the hectic pace of normal American life.

Writing this has made me want to return ASAP for more of everything that Badou has to offer. Smiles guaranteed.

Northcenter Joe wrote:The food is incredible and we all agreed we would go back in a heartbeat. As others have noted, it is great as a vegetarian to have an ethnic restaurant that has such a large and delicious vegetarian menu. But the very casual vibe makes it feel like you are eating in someone's home and it is a unique gem in the city.

Indianbadger wrote:As a Vegetarian, I am always a bit leery when I go to Island or West African restaurants as they are not very Veg friendly. Not so at Badou. They have a long, varied selection.

I can easily imagine going back here regularly. This restaurant combined with the Taste of Trinidad next door is a vegetarians delight!

The Mafe was really complex, spicy and haunting. What gave it the earthiness? Maybe bayleaves/oregano mix? It was fantastic.

bernard wrote:Saw Badou at the Celebrate Clark Street Festival* yesterday and went up to say hi. Not only did he remember my full name, but also my dining companion and what I ordered. I was shocked. The last time I ate there was over 2 years ago!
  • Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm
    Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm Post #2 - February 9th, 2016, 10:16 pm
    Fully support this nomination.
  • Post #3 - February 10th, 2016, 8:50 am
    Post #3 - February 10th, 2016, 8:50 am Post #3 - February 10th, 2016, 8:50 am
    I support this nomination as well! I think Badou is exactly the type of restaurant GNR was made to highlight!
  • Post #4 - February 10th, 2016, 9:27 am
    Post #4 - February 10th, 2016, 9:27 am Post #4 - February 10th, 2016, 9:27 am
    One of my favorite places in the city. Really good food and service.
  • Post #5 - February 10th, 2016, 10:55 am
    Post #5 - February 10th, 2016, 10:55 am Post #5 - February 10th, 2016, 10:55 am
    I was lucky to have been part of several wonderful dinners at Badou with Swingbossa and have enjoyed introducing friends to the wonderful food and hospitality. I heartily support this nomination.
  • Post #6 - February 12th, 2016, 11:41 am
    Post #6 - February 12th, 2016, 11:41 am Post #6 - February 12th, 2016, 11:41 am
    I fully support this nomination. For reasons, see Swingbossa's quote as attributed to me. :)

Another point of note: When I went there it seemed like it was BYOB? Is that still the case? Maybe we should add this to the GNR list.

I would also like to emphasize the Vegetarian friendly nature of the menu. There are not the usual 1 or 2 dishes like in most restaurants; Badou has a real vegetarian section.

I cannot emphasize how enthusiastic I am about this GNR nomination. Just imagine the Donkey in Shrek jumping around in joy.
  • Post #7 - February 12th, 2016, 3:10 pm
    Post #7 - February 12th, 2016, 3:10 pm Post #7 - February 12th, 2016, 3:10 pm
    Thanks for nominating Badou. I was going to do it, but kept procrastinating. We have organized many dinners at Badou, from a class of Northwestern freshmen to a group of (mostly) retirees who were VERY skeptical at the outset but totally won over by the end of the dinner. There is a crying lack of francophone African restaurants in Chicago. I have seen a Togolese, an Ivoirian, a Guinean, and at least two Senegalese restaurants close, but I am grateful that Badou and Yassa fly high the Senegalese flag. Badou is an old friend (from before his restaurant days) -- I guess I should come clean here -- but his cooking speaks volumes in itself, without my help. This is a true neighborhood institution! Bravo, Badou.
  • Post #8 - February 14th, 2016, 8:11 pm
    Post #8 - February 14th, 2016, 8:11 pm Post #8 - February 14th, 2016, 8:11 pm
    Happy to support this nomination. Badou's is unique and wonderful--a perfect GNR.
  • Post #9 - March 7th, 2016, 12:05 pm
    Post #9 - March 7th, 2016, 12:05 pm Post #9 - March 7th, 2016, 12:05 pm
    The first time I ate here, Badou immediately felt like a GNR to me. I'm really glad to see that others feel the same way about it. It's a special place, completely worthy of GNR status - a most welcome nomination.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more