LTH Home

Spicy Thai Lao - Burbank - "Little Guys"

Spicy Thai Lao - Burbank - "Little Guys"
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Spicy Thai Lao - Burbank - "Little Guys"

Post #1 - February 12th, 2015, 2:07 pm
    Post #1 - February 12th, 2015, 2:07 pm Post #1 - February 12th, 2015, 2:07 pm
    Spicy Thai Lao, the day it appeared on LTH a little over a year ago and I saw the pictures of the dishes & especially of those eggrolls I knew I had to get there immediately.

I have eaten at Spicy Thai Lao maybe 15 times since then and have enjoyed everything I have tried. Favorites: the spicy veggie eggrolls, Beef Pad Tamin,& a nuclear Som Tum. I dont venture to far from these favorites - been wanting a bowl of soup but on my quick lunch visits thats too much.

those eggrolls:

Beef Pad Tamin - I dream of this dish and its rough cuts and to me rustic tastes - and a punch of heat -:

Personally I consider Spicy Thai Lao the most important "find" of 2014 - at least in my lunchtime rotation. Gonna be bummed when I dont work 15 mins away.

Here is a thread started by Rene G with many pictures - way better than the few I tossed up:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39178

there were also (2) LTH group meals that have threads:

viewtopic.php?p=469855

viewtopic.php?p=470800

Family run joints like Spicy Thai Lao are what the GNR program was based on back in the day. Id like to see more of them populating the list. So I nominate Spicy Thai Lao.
    Last edited by jimswside on February 18th, 2015, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - February 12th, 2015, 2:35 pm
    Post #2 - February 12th, 2015, 2:35 pm Post #2 - February 12th, 2015, 2:35 pm
    This was on my short list of GNR prospects for this year and I'm really happy to see it nominated. For me personally, it embodies some of the best attributes of what a GNR should be: great food, completely relaxed setting and appreciative, hands-on owners. I only wish I lived closer so I could eat there more often. I heartily second this nomination.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - February 12th, 2015, 3:10 pm
    Post #3 - February 12th, 2015, 3:10 pm Post #3 - February 12th, 2015, 3:10 pm
    YAY!!!!! I love this place and can't wait to get back. Jim--schedule a meal there please!!!! I think there are lots of folks who would love it who maybe just haven't had the opportunity to go down there.

GNR for sure!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - February 12th, 2015, 3:35 pm
    Post #4 - February 12th, 2015, 3:35 pm Post #4 - February 12th, 2015, 3:35 pm
    Love that place, just a few minutes from work.
    I need to try more of the menu, but can't seem to not order the Beef Pad Tamin, spicy...
  • Post #5 - February 12th, 2015, 6:22 pm
    Post #5 - February 12th, 2015, 6:22 pm Post #5 - February 12th, 2015, 6:22 pm
    JasonM wrote:Love that place, just a few minutes from work.

Lucky you, I live an hour away in good traffic.

Only been once, but once was enough to leave a very positive impression.

Spicy Thai Lao for GNR, Yes please!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - February 13th, 2015, 9:11 am
    Post #6 - February 13th, 2015, 9:11 am Post #6 - February 13th, 2015, 9:11 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:This was on my short list of GNR prospects for this year and I'm really happy to see it nominated. For me personally, it embodies some of the best attributes of what a GNR should be: great food, completely relaxed setting and appreciative, hands-on owners. I only wish I lived closer so I could eat there more often. I heartily second this nomination.

=R=

Pretty much took the words I planned on typing right out of my fingers. In the Redhot Ranch thread you mention how the double cheeseburger might be the best $5 you can spend on food in the city, which is probably true. As is the Spicy Lao Egg Roll being the best $1 you can spend on food. Of course they're so good that it's impossible to eat just one so plan on spending $3. Then there's that beef pad tamin which I'll just quote Drake on when describing it "Goddamn." Even the gringo Thai dishes are great. Helluva find that I fully support.
  • Post #7 - February 16th, 2015, 10:36 am
    Post #7 - February 16th, 2015, 10:36 am Post #7 - February 16th, 2015, 10:36 am
    Gosh, the geographic challenge excuse should not stop anyone from sampling some of the spiciest, most complexly spiced chow in town. But I'm guilty of not patronizing them enough to avoid traffic on Cicero.

In my few experiences, though, dishes like the egg rolls, jackfruit and bamboo salads, and the pad tamin are in the top tier Thai league. Very welcoming ownership to boot, a clear GNR.
  • Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:45 pm
    Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:45 pm Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:45 pm
    Add me to the fans of Spicy Thai Lao. Great food and warm hospitality. Can't wait to return.
  • Post #9 - February 18th, 2015, 4:30 pm
    Post #9 - February 18th, 2015, 4:30 pm Post #9 - February 18th, 2015, 4:30 pm
    The hard working and generous owners of Spicy Thai Lao would get much more of my business if they were closer to where I live, but that doesn't stop me from making the trek a few times a year. It's always worth the drive! Spicy ha Lao fits the GNR description in every sense of the word.

Spicy Thai Lao for GNR? Yes Yes Yes.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:40 am
    Post #10 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:40 am Post #10 - March 2nd, 2015, 12:40 am
    I don’t think there is anything to add here. Spicy Thai Lao is one of the obvious picks of the year and for many good reasons. It is everything said above... friendly, unique, and bursting with flavor. Also as said aviove, I need to get over there more often!
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #11 - March 4th, 2015, 10:33 pm
    Post #11 - March 4th, 2015, 10:33 pm Post #11 - March 4th, 2015, 10:33 pm
    Jim,

Thanks for nominating Spicy Thai Lao! Let me join the chorus, this is truly the type of place that GNRs are about. Owners that provide fantastic unique fare that they are passionate about. After the Lao dinner there last year, I will never forget how the owners were nearly in tears from joy that they were able to share this food with us. This is just a great choice, and I love that the Southland will get another GNR! I am a fan.

Glenn

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more