Chefs

Agreed. I like the pastrami, too. It's it's own chewy, garlicy thing. Indeed, some might say it's relatively quite authentic, since chewy, salty and strong put it much closer to the mother of cured meats, basturma, than a Langer's or a Katz's, which are almost cousins to a Texas brisket. :twisted: And any place that's been serving oxtails since before oxtails were cool can't be all bad.

Site Admin
I don't have much to add to the chorus except to say that if I had it to do all over again, I'd still noiminate Manny's for a GNR in a clogged-artery heartbeat.

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen
(Online)
Lead Moderator
Posted February 17th 2009, 12:59pm
This restaurant is currently up for GNR renewal. Please post your comments below.

Thanks,

=R=
for the GNRs

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban
(Online)
Lead Moderator
Posted February 23rd 2009, 8:49pm
For many folks, including myself, Manny's is the benchmark in Chicago. Their corned beef, pastrami and rare roast beef are the standards to which all other places are ultimately compared. Their soups are excellent, as are many of their sides. The relatively recent addition of dinner service, has brought to light for me, dishes like Romanian Skirt Steak, Meatloaf and Short Ribs, which are all wonderful. If a friend was visiting from out of town and asked me to take him for Jewish deli food, Manny's is the only place I'd even consider.

For me, Manny's is an obvious renewal.

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Site Admin
Manny's remains in my regualr rotation and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's the ur GNR.

Steve Z.

Site Admin
Posted September 19th 2011, 5:04am
This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.

Steve Z.

Posted September 19th 2011, 9:14am
I love Manny's. It's a one-of-a-kind place. The corned beef and pastrami are among the best, or the best, in the city. I support renewal.
Posted September 19th 2011, 9:44am
Gotta love Manny's. For those who say it's not Langer's, I reiterate this thread title and advise: think of it as a cafeteria that serves Jewish food. I love Manny's. And where else can you get a parade of the city's officeholders and office-seekers for the price of a sandwich? I support the renewal.

Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
(Online)
Lead Moderator
A great spot, a Chicago institution and remarkably consistent, at that. I don't think of Manny's as a deli, so what they don't serve isn't an issue at all for me. I think of it as the best cafeteria in town. I am fully in favor of renewal.

=R=

(Online)
It's hard to think of a place that does it better. Consistent, consistently good, unique, and a timeless classic. Renew, renew!

Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
Home Cookin'

Online Information