LTH Home

Delightful Pastries

Delightful Pastries
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Delightful Pastries

Post #1 - August 30th, 2009, 8:13 pm
    Post #1 - August 30th, 2009, 8:13 pm Post #1 - August 30th, 2009, 8:13 pm
    Several years ago, I had the good fortune of waddling into Delightful Pastries after a filling enough lunch at a Polish Restaurant with some LTH friends nearby.

Dobra cleary makes some of the city's tastiest and light paczki whether it be during the holidays or any other day of the week. For this she is well recognized.

On the last day of each month, I developed a habit of bringing a box of pastries for my office from some bakery between my home and my office. Gradually, the folks in the office began to request Dobra's wonderful pastries and birthday cakes for all of our celebrations. And, I was more than happy to comply.

Moreover, as my exposure to Dobra's wonderful baking began to expand, I found myself visiting Delightful more and more frequently whether it was for an office birthday cake, mushroom filled pastries as pick ups for a cocktail party, or Dobra's wonderful pierogi for a quick lunch on the run.

Delightful pastry is one of those places that is just, well, delightful. It is so much more than a Paczki Bakery, And, Chicago is fortunate to have a baker of Dobra's dedication and expertise.

While I left Chicago a number of months ago, I did so with the intention of making sure that I nominated Delightful for a GNR at the next opportunity. I do so with great enthusiasm.

Delightful Pastries
    5927 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL
  • Post #2 - August 31st, 2009, 6:43 am
    Post #2 - August 31st, 2009, 6:43 am Post #2 - August 31st, 2009, 6:43 am
    I concur. Delightful Patries is a happy place for me.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #3 - September 1st, 2009, 12:58 pm
    Post #3 - September 1st, 2009, 12:58 pm Post #3 - September 1st, 2009, 12:58 pm
    I'm also happy to support this nomination. Dobra's cakes and other treats have always gotten raves everywhere I've taken them. If I didn't live so far and weren't carless, I'd be there at least on a weekly basis.
  • Post #4 - September 1st, 2009, 12:59 pm
    Post #4 - September 1st, 2009, 12:59 pm Post #4 - September 1st, 2009, 12:59 pm
    Will,

Is there a Delightful Pastries thread you could point us to?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - September 1st, 2009, 1:27 pm
    Post #5 - September 1st, 2009, 1:27 pm Post #5 - September 1st, 2009, 1:27 pm
    My Google-fu is weak today...I only found this thread, which is totally on-topic:
    Delightful Pastries -- freshest babkas in town?

and this thread, which is barely on-topic:
    Delightful Pastries featured by Steve Dolinsky Dec3

But let's not forget this:
    This was one of the better cakes I've tasted in quite a long time...I never thought a 6-inch-tall, multi-layered, seemingly-icing-heavy beast could, in reality, be so simultaneously light, rich, moist and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness, topped with buttercream that had the smooth, cloud-like consistency of crème fraîche. I don't usually enjoy cake, so I initially passed on a slice of my own and just sampled my wife's piece (only because she kept raving about it & insisting I have some). I ended up finishing her piece and getting up for a second slice :lol:

Unfortunately I haven't been to Delightful Pastries, but if I could second this nomination based on that cake alone, I happily would.
  • Post #6 - September 1st, 2009, 3:28 pm
    Post #6 - September 1st, 2009, 3:28 pm Post #6 - September 1st, 2009, 3:28 pm
    I'll add to this - Dobra uses fresh ingredients whenever possible. I'm still fantasizing about the rhubarb coffee cake from this spring.

Her staff is polite and helpful. They don't complain as I continually add to my order as I spy one more thing I want to add as I check out.
  • Post #7 - September 1st, 2009, 3:42 pm
    Post #7 - September 1st, 2009, 3:42 pm Post #7 - September 1st, 2009, 3:42 pm
    There's also been discussion of Delightful in the Paczki thread, including my own recent comments from my first visit. I'm a huge fan of the seeded rye, paczki, and pirogi at Delightful (up until last week, only by way of the farmers' market and downtown farmstand) . I definitely endorse the nomination.

-Dan
  • Post #8 - September 1st, 2009, 3:58 pm
    Post #8 - September 1st, 2009, 3:58 pm Post #8 - September 1st, 2009, 3:58 pm
    I concur on this nomination as well. Besides the items mentioned above, the French macaroons are "to die for."

Mouth watering,

Ms. Ingie
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 7:56 am
    Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 7:56 am Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 7:56 am
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Besides the items mentioned above, the French macaroons are "to die for."

I recently had their French macaroons, and I wasn't very impressed. They had virtually no almond taste, allowing whatever flavor is added to overwhelm any hint of almonds.

This is their only item I have tried.
  • Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm
    Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 4:56 pm
    I know they make lots of French and otherwise "continental" stuff, but I can't get past the Polish goods. Paczki, kolacky, pierogi, all as good as it gets. And the black bread with sunflower seeds is probably my favorite bread in Chicago. A GNR.
  • Post #11 - September 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Post #11 - September 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm Post #11 - September 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    Ms. Ingie wrote:Besides the items mentioned above, the French macaroons are "to die for."

I recently had their French macaroons, and I wasn't very impressed. They had virtually no almond taste, allowing whatever flavor is added to overwhelm any hint of almonds.

This is their only item I have tried.

I guess I should have clarified - the chocolate macaroons, but I like the almond as well.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #12 - September 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
    Post #12 - September 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm Post #12 - September 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm
    I too am delighted by Delightful Pastries. I've long been in admiration and envy that the Poles I know are the most cosmopolitan people you'd ever care to meet, picking up more languages by their teens than I'll ever know in a lifetime. Dobra, for example, is speaking Polish, French, Italian, and English fluently, right there on the plate, wonderful little conversations that my belly distinctly appreciates. GNR.
  • Post #13 - September 13th, 2009, 8:23 pm
    Post #13 - September 13th, 2009, 8:23 pm Post #13 - September 13th, 2009, 8:23 pm
    The almond macaroons at today's picnic screamed almond! They were delicious. I love Delightful Pastries. The items are always changing, which offers a nice variety. I especially like that since it is a European bakery nothing is overly rich or sweet.
  • Post #14 - September 14th, 2009, 4:25 pm
    Post #14 - September 14th, 2009, 4:25 pm Post #14 - September 14th, 2009, 4:25 pm
    I support a GNR for Delightful Pastries. I just wish I could remember all of the wonderful items I've purchased from DP because there are so many. But the one thing that I absolutely cannot do without are the amazing paczki, particularly the ones with strawberry and custard and boozy custard. They're just so tender and the fillings so smooth, rich and tasty . . . easily the best donuts in Chicago.
  • Post #15 - September 19th, 2011, 4:19 am
    Post #15 - September 19th, 2011, 4:19 am Post #15 - September 19th, 2011, 4:19 am
    This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #16 - September 19th, 2011, 2:31 pm
    Post #16 - September 19th, 2011, 2:31 pm Post #16 - September 19th, 2011, 2:31 pm
    I hadn't had anything from Delightful Pastries in a long time, until my wife came home from Green City Market with a slice of one of their quiches. It was ethereally light, ideally cooked, perfectly seasoned...I was sad when it was gone. I don't know if a piece of quiche is enough to justify a vote for GNR renewal, but if it is, then consider this my thumbs up.
  • Post #17 - September 20th, 2011, 6:34 pm
    Post #17 - September 20th, 2011, 6:34 pm Post #17 - September 20th, 2011, 6:34 pm
    I get their pierogies at the Farmer's Market, and yum! I vote yes.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #18 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm
    Post #18 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm Post #18 - October 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm
    I love Delightful Pastries' paczki (mostly the plum), sunflower rye, and pierogi. I know I've purchased and enjoyed other items over the years, but it's those that I keep going back for over and over.

Given the uneven quality (even if centrally baked), pricing, and overall experience at the other locations, I only support the original W. Lawrence location for its GNR. Can someone from the GNR committee clarify if the GNR renewal only covers the original location, or includes Metra Market, Old Town, various farmers markets, and even Whole Foods (which sells some of her items)?

-Dan
  • Post #19 - October 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    Post #19 - October 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm Post #19 - October 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm
    I've had mixed feelings about Delightful Pastries, as some pastries have been much more delightful than others. (Though I must admit that most of my experiences have been at the Metra Market outpost). I've had stale paczki, an excellent slice of lamb pie, a leaden lemon bar, and most recently a flaky, fresh, and terrific ham & cheese croissant.

If my experiences at the Metra location count, I'm glad to have Delightful Pastries nearby my office, but I'm neutral on GNR renewal.

--Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #20 - August 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm
    Post #20 - August 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm Post #20 - August 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm
    I just realized that Delightful Pastries is one of the GNRs that is up for reconsideration, meaning it will automatically lose its GNR status if there is no discussion in this thread in support of renewal.

turkob wrote:Those that have been nominated for reconsideration will lose their GNR if they are not discussed at all. They have been nominated to promote further posting about them.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37841

Allow me to begin the discussion. I have only patronized the Lawrence location, so I cannot speak to the other locations. I made a point of stopping at the mothership bakery on Lawrence last week to pick up treats for the nieces. I had not been there in a while, but I was greeted warmly by Dobra's delightful Mom. I picked up some longtime favorites: the chocolate macaroons with a fudgy, dark ganache filling and marzipan macaroons, which were bursting with almond flavor. Niece #2 is always very happy if I am carrying "the pink bag" when I visit, and these did not disappoint.

Another longtime favorite are the pierogi that you can find in the refrigerator case. I especially enjoy the potato filled and the sauerkraut and mushroom filled. The dumpling layer is thinner and more delicate than the pierogi that I have tried from other stores. Pop them into boiling water for a few minutes, then brown slightly in a pan of caramelized onions, and that is dinner for me.

As Pucca mentioned up thread, be on the look out for new or special items. This time it was a brownie that was very similar to flourless chocolate cake, with layers of caramel, nuts and ganache. I can't recall what they were called, but they were rich and satisfying, so that just a bite or two satisfied my dessert craving. Another special item are the Pâte de Fruit. They don't always have them at the Lawrence location, so when I find them it is a little like winning the lottery.

Everything that we tried was very fresh. I appreciate that their baked goods are not as sweet as other bakeries. Dobra's Mom added a plum paczki to my order :D . I'll second Dansch's love of the plum filling, it is tart, bright and intensely favorful.

This is a family business, which I greatly appreciate. While you may not see Dobra during your visit, you will likely see another member of the family. Over the years, it seems that Chicago has lost many of its family operated neighborhood bakeries. It would be a shame if all we had available to us were the supermarket in-store bakeries or very upscale bakeries.

I support GNR renewal for Delightful Pastries.
    http://www.delightfulpastries.com
  • Post #21 - September 4th, 2013, 4:03 pm
    Post #21 - September 4th, 2013, 4:03 pm Post #21 - September 4th, 2013, 4:03 pm
    Delightful Pastries (Flagship location only) is a regular stop for me. The pastries are always good and I haven't run into any freshness issues such as those mentioned at some of the satellite locations. Delightful Pastries' Paczkis are still the gold standard in Chicago in my book. And a friendlier owner and crew you will not find anywhere (as long as you don't get Dobra started on local politics :wink: ). An absolute yes for GNR renewal from me, though, like I said, I'm only speaking for the flagship store on Lawrence.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events