LTH Home

Bari [Italian Deli-Subs!]

Bari [Italian Deli-Subs!]
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - September 3rd, 2009, 6:25 am
    Post #61 - September 3rd, 2009, 6:25 am Post #61 - September 3rd, 2009, 6:25 am
    Kennyz wrote:And then, oh and then... to scoop some marinated vegetables with just an everyday spoon so that they land directly on top rest of the ingredients!

Kennyz wrote:Are you people kidding me? They slice a store bought piece of bread in half and top it with processed, pre-sliced deli meat. It is admittedly a good sandwich . . .

Kenny -

Did you happen to ask if the marinated vegetables (eggplant in particular) are done in-house? What about the giardiniera, roasted peppers, etc.? In other words, is every single component of a Bari sandwich not made in-house (such that it is akin to a Yogurteria to you, where they outside-source every component of the yogurt concoction)?
  • Post #62 - September 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am
    Post #62 - September 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am Post #62 - September 3rd, 2009, 9:42 am
    I believe that Yogurteria freezes their own ice cubes, but I could be wrong :wink:
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #63 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 pm
    Post #63 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 pm Post #63 - September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 pm
    I support a GNR for Bari. I have been eating Bari subs once or twice a month for more than 7 years now. I love the giardiniera, the meat/filling to bread ratio of the sandwich and the crusty bread.
  • Post #64 - September 4th, 2009, 6:15 pm
    Post #64 - September 4th, 2009, 6:15 pm Post #64 - September 4th, 2009, 6:15 pm
    As part of our multi-stop GNR nominee tour last weekend, we ducked into Bari for a sub . . .

Italian Sub w/ Hot Gardeniera from Bari

As usual, I really enjoyed this sandwich, which, for me, is more than the sum of its parts. I'd had many Bari subs before but never eaten one right there, outside the shop, right after it was made. I have to say that eating it right there made a substantial difference because it hadn't been mushed or gotten soggy. Where one might get into a muck deciding on GNR worthiness is that by far, the best thing about this sandwich was the bread, which is baked next door at D'Amato's, and not in-house. It had a satisfying and light crust that provided some resistance to the bite but not so much that I had to tug at it. As such, the meat, gardeniera and veggies stayed inside the sandwich. In other words, it eats very well. And it's damned tasty, too. The sandwich, as mentioned above by Cinny's Mom, also has a near-perfect ratio of bread to fillings and doesn't suffer from overkill. In many respects, this is a less is more experience, which is not something that is often said about a successful Italian-style sub. That makes it distinctive and it's very hard not to respect that.

Is this enough to warrant a GNR? Personally, I'm still undecided. It's one of my top 2 Italian-style subs in the city (Fontano's on Polk being the other) but after we left Bari, we headed to Nhu Lan Bakery, where, quite honestly, this sandwich was surpassed in many respects. That doesn't mean it's not worthy but it does eat away at Bari's specialness, to some degree.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #65 - September 4th, 2009, 6:58 pm
    Post #65 - September 4th, 2009, 6:58 pm Post #65 - September 4th, 2009, 6:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Is this enough to warrant a GNR? Personally, I'm still undecided. It's one of my top 2 Italian-style subs in the city (Fontano's on Polk being the other) but after we left Bari, we headed to Nhu Lan Bakery, where, quite honestly, this sandwich was surpassed in many respects. That doesn't mean it's not worthy but it does eat away at Bari's specialness, to some degree.

Ron,

I don't really see how the deliciousness of Nhu Lan diminishes Bari subs, plenty of room in our artery blocked hearts for more than one sandwich. That said, Bari and Nhu Lan are apples and oranges, chicken Boti at Khan to Tony's Three Chili Chicken at Lao Sze Chuan, maki roll at Tampopo to Arancini at Riviera.

To my way of thinking the main thing Bari and Nhu Lan have in common is the shape of the plate to mouth delivery vehicle.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - September 4th, 2009, 6:59 pm
    Post #66 - September 4th, 2009, 6:59 pm Post #66 - September 4th, 2009, 6:59 pm
    does Bari cut the meat for each sandwich to order, or is i presliced? if it is presliced I would be disappointed.
  • Post #67 - September 4th, 2009, 7:00 pm
    Post #67 - September 4th, 2009, 7:00 pm Post #67 - September 4th, 2009, 7:00 pm
    jimswside wrote:does Bari cut the meat for each sandwich to order, or is i presliced? if it is presliced I would be disappointed.

presliced, along with the presliced cheese, presliced tomatoes, and preshredded lettuce.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #68 - September 4th, 2009, 7:02 pm
    Post #68 - September 4th, 2009, 7:02 pm Post #68 - September 4th, 2009, 7:02 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    jimswside wrote:does Bari cut the meat for each sandwich to order, or is i presliced? if it is presliced I would be disappointed.

presliced, along with the presliced cheese, presliced tomatoes, and preshredded lettuce.

thats pretty sad.
  • Post #69 - September 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    Post #69 - September 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm Post #69 - September 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:

thats pretty sad.

well, as at Subway and Quiznos, there is often a line of customers at Bari waiting for their footlongs, so they've gotta cut some corners to get the masses fed.

By the way, I was looking for a thread in which to post a review of my Bari sub. The lone Bari thread is really just about the groceries. Has anyone seen a thread about Bari the "restaurant"?

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #70 - September 4th, 2009, 9:29 pm
    Post #70 - September 4th, 2009, 9:29 pm Post #70 - September 4th, 2009, 9:29 pm
    Oh snap!
  • Post #71 - September 4th, 2009, 9:35 pm
    Post #71 - September 4th, 2009, 9:35 pm Post #71 - September 4th, 2009, 9:35 pm
    Kennyz wrote:

Wait a minute now, Kenny, in the midst of your anti-Bari zeal you are teetering on completely misstating facts. If, by presliced, based upon your comparison to Quizno's and Subway (and based upon taste, you know goddamned well is not a fair comparison), you mean they order meats and cheeses presliced like Quizno's -- that's not true. There is many a time -- many a time -- at Bari when they do, indeed, slice the meats and cheeses to order. While I don't doubt that at busy times they slice meats in bulk from their deli case to accommodate that demand, but that is a far cry from what you're implying, if not stating outright, with your comparison to Quizno's. I have had many a proscuitto and fresh mozzarella sub there that entail them grabbing both elements from their deli case and slicing them. While you're on record stating that you don't value that, it is just plain wrong to claim that these meats and cheeses (and even vegetables) are all presliced (a la Quizno's). Before you pull the trigger and answer these types of questions, you should know what you're talking about -- I don't know how often you've been to Bari in your lifetime, but this answer just states a lack of experience, at best, irresponsibility, at worst. Tsk, tsk.
    Last edited by aschie30 on September 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #72 - September 4th, 2009, 9:38 pm
    Post #72 - September 4th, 2009, 9:38 pm Post #72 - September 4th, 2009, 9:38 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Is this enough to warrant a GNR? Personally, I'm still undecided. It's one of my top 2 Italian-style subs in the city (Fontano's on Polk being the other) but after we left Bari, we headed to Nhu Lan Bakery, where, quite honestly, this sandwich was surpassed in many respects. That doesn't mean it's not worthy but it does eat away at Bari's specialness, to some degree.

Ron,

I don't really see how the deliciousness of Nhu Lan diminishes Bari subs, plenty of room in our artery blocked hearts for more than one sandwich. That said, Bari and Nhu Lan are apples and oranges, chicken Boti at Khan to Tony's Three Chili Chicken at Lao Sze Chuan, maki roll at Tampopo to Arancini at Riviera.

To my way of thinking the main thing Bari and Nhu Lan have in common is the shape of the plate to mouth delivery vehicle.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Gary,

I don't disagree and GNRs are most definitely not a zero sum game but when I ate sandwiches from both these places within an hour of each other, I couldn't help but compare them, and the little touches. I mention the comparison because for me personally, Nhu Lan seems so definitive and Bari seems more marginal. That doesn't mean that one is necessarily more deserving than the other. It just means that I like one better than the other.

=R=
  • Post #73 - September 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm
    Post #73 - September 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm Post #73 - September 4th, 2009, 9:40 pm
    Y'know, I like Bari, but I've gotta agree with Kenny. It's a straightforward Italian sub on good bread. It's nothing special. I can't say that it does anything more for me than Fontano's (including the loop location) or even Cap'n Nemo's (which I like a lot and I don't think gets any LTH love at all).

As I've mentioned elsewhere, to endorse a GNR, it needs to pass my "out of town guest test", that is, would I insist that a food-loving guest visit this place when they were in Chicago, regardless of any of their particular yens. I can't say that Bari meets that criteria.

Good sandwich. Not a GNR.
  • Post #74 - September 5th, 2009, 1:32 am
    Post #74 - September 5th, 2009, 1:32 am Post #74 - September 5th, 2009, 1:32 am
    I see there has been some discussion about Bari being a GNR worthy type spot. I want to 110% back Bari and the Italian with extra hot giardineria as the best cold cut sandwich in Chicago. I dont say its the best sandwich in the world but you wont find a better Italian sub in Chicago. On top of that, the Barese sausage is one of the best links in a city full of them.

I also happen to be a huge fan of the extra hot giardineria because it makes people think that they can take the heat cry like Paris Hilton when she is too late to Maoz and cant get herself falafel ball with a cumcumber on top to fill her stomache for the day. Seriously I gave bottles of this out to the pitmasters of Negril, and they cried like Kourtney.
  • Post #75 - September 5th, 2009, 5:19 am
    Post #75 - September 5th, 2009, 5:19 am Post #75 - September 5th, 2009, 5:19 am
    aschie30 wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:

There is many a time -- many a time -- at Bari when they do, indeed, slice the meats and cheeses to order. While I don't doubt that at busy times they slice meats in bulk from their deli case to accommodate that demand, but that is a far cry from what you're implying, if not stating outright, with your comparison to Quizno's. ... I don't know how often you've been to Bari in your lifetime, but this answer just states a lack of experience, at best, irresponsibility, at worst. Tsk, tsk.

Anyone reading this thread knows that my comments do not reflect significant experience with Bari subs. That said, I actually asked the guy who made my sandwich about this. According to this experienced follow, the prosciutto is usually sliced to order. Everything else - including all of the meat and cheese for the much-lauded Italian sub - is pre-scliced at various intervals throughout the week so as to expedite service. "We slice the meat almost every day" were his exact words. Jimmy John's does that too, so perhaps that was a better comparison than Quiznos or Subway.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #76 - September 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm
    Post #76 - September 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm Post #76 - September 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm
    I consider the prosciutto and fresh mozzarella sandwichs I've purchased at Bari Foods to be amongst the best sandwiches I've eaten, ever. The giardiniere the store uses, packs and also sells to the public, on the other hand is the variety I detest.
  • Post #77 - September 19th, 2011, 4:20 am
    Post #77 - September 19th, 2011, 4:20 am Post #77 - September 19th, 2011, 4:20 am
    This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #78 - September 19th, 2011, 9:28 am
    Post #78 - September 19th, 2011, 9:28 am Post #78 - September 19th, 2011, 9:28 am
    Jefe wrote:Fresh baked bread from D'amatos plus high quality imported meats plus house made giardienera equals arguably my favorite sandwich in Chicago, others think so too. Every time I embark on a long distance car trip, an Italian is my bag lunch (and dinner too depending on the breadth of the journey). Also perfect for a hunger relieving lunch in the middle of a particularly arduous workday. Not a bad little European deli either, a stop every time I make pizzas for fresh Italian sausage and imported cured this and thats.
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2073&hilit=bari

As the nominator of Bari for a GNR a little over two years ago, everything I stated above still rings true and has since I first discovered Bari in 2003. I'm in there at least once a month for an Italian sub, a prosciutto and fresh motz sub with marinated artichoke upgrade, even the occasional "Americano". I love their house made hot giardiniera and think its the best in town (next to my own). And I do still pick up my baseline ingredients for a pizza at Bari- San Marzano tomatoes, Scamorza cheese, house-made Italian sausage, and canned marinated veg.

But to pre-empt a rehash of the sh*tstorm of an argument I am sure is likely to ensue as it did in 2009:

Kennyz wrote:I think I still have a problem with this. We can call Bari a "restaurant" if we want, but serving prepared food is a small part of its operation. It is primarily a retail store, and not a particularly good one. I know there are other cases of GNR's where not everything on the menu is a hit, but I think this really stretches that too far.

Kennyz wrote:I just think that a GNR winner should be good at whatever its primary mission is.

Although, I pick up a handful of sundries to make pizzas, I patronize Bari first and foremost for their sub sandwiches, which I believe to be their primary mission. As is evidence by:
    aschie30 wrote: the lines down the aisles for its sandwiches and the number of guys working the sandwich portion of the business

One of my favorite sandwiches in the city in my neighborhood. 'Nuff said, I say renew.
  • Post #79 - September 19th, 2011, 9:50 am
    Post #79 - September 19th, 2011, 9:50 am Post #79 - September 19th, 2011, 9:50 am
    One of my favorite sandwiches also, though I do pick up there very good giardinera and other supplies now and then. I support renewal.
  • Post #80 - September 19th, 2011, 11:04 am
    Post #80 - September 19th, 2011, 11:04 am Post #80 - September 19th, 2011, 11:04 am
    Best Subs in the city. Best Giardiniera in the world! I'd pay good money if someone could show me better. I support renewal
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #81 - September 19th, 2011, 11:19 am
    Post #81 - September 19th, 2011, 11:19 am Post #81 - September 19th, 2011, 11:19 am
    Bari still sucks. A comment which will and should be disregarded as a renewal factor.

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #82 - September 19th, 2011, 11:34 am
    Post #82 - September 19th, 2011, 11:34 am Post #82 - September 19th, 2011, 11:34 am
    Bari's subs pale in comparison to those from the nearby GNR Graziano's. Frankly I'd rather see Graziano's get both GNRs and Bari get none.

I know you aren't supposed to compare GNRs against GNRs, but it's really hard not to in this case.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #83 - September 19th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    Post #83 - September 19th, 2011, 12:06 pm Post #83 - September 19th, 2011, 12:06 pm
    gleam wrote:Bari's subs pale in comparison to those from the nearby GNR Graziano's. Frankly I'd rather see Graziano's get both GNRs and Bari get none.

You think they'd let me bring Bari's giardiniera over for my sub? Otherwise it'll be hard for me to get a chance to taste a graziano's sub. On second thought, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to put the giardiniera on it at home and do a side by side comparison.

gleam wrote:I know you aren't supposed to compare GNRs against GNRs, but it's really hard not to in this case.

Probably not "supposed" to, but really it just doesn't make sense to. In my opinion, the GNRs were never meant to be a ranking system (nor a pissing contest), but a way to celebrate food which we love.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #84 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm
    Post #84 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm Post #84 - October 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm
    I'm not exactly sure where I stand on Bari. Yes, I love their giardiniera but even though I still like them, I'm not nearly as into their sandwiches as I once was, mainly because there are many of the same type I enjoy more (Fontano's, Graziano's, Al & Joe's, Minelli's, etc.) The best aspect of the sandwiches might be the bread, which comes another GNR. I'm neutral (leaning toward no) on renewal. :(

=R=
  • Post #85 - October 3rd, 2011, 9:03 am
    Post #85 - October 3rd, 2011, 9:03 am Post #85 - October 3rd, 2011, 9:03 am
    Maybe not as strong as some other Italian corner delis around town, but still a GNR resource in my book, if only for the sausage, used to spectacular effect on the pizza next door at the ur-GNR, D'Amato's.
  • Post #86 - October 3rd, 2011, 3:02 pm
    Post #86 - October 3rd, 2011, 3:02 pm Post #86 - October 3rd, 2011, 3:02 pm
    A prosciutto-and-mozz, a jar of hot, and thou. Mantienila!
  • Post #87 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:11 pm
    Post #87 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:11 pm Post #87 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:11 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm not exactly sure where I stand on Bari. Yes, I love their giardiniera but even though I still like them, I'm not nearly as into their sandwiches as I once was, mainly because there are many of the same type I enjoy more (Fontano's, Graziano's, Al & Joe's, Minelli's, etc.) The best aspect of the sandwiches might be the bread, which comes another GNR. I'm neutral (leaning toward no) on renewal. :(

=R=

Up thread you can see an argument playing out about the "skill" of assembling pre-made ingredients and the GNR-worthiness of such a simplistic practice. To make a case I would argue that the ingredients must be great and create a total experience that transcends the hand of its maker. So for me, D'Amatos bread + house made giardiniera + high quality imported meats and cheeses= excellence.

I've been holding back from comparisons. I eat at Graziano's on the regular too. They too build their great subs on D'Amatos bread and feature high quality imported meats (perhaps finer quality? If I must, I will do the research here). I do not like their giardiniera as much as Bari's and am not sure it is made in house. They clearly have a much more focused and higher quality retail element to their shop (though you can see upthread that I made this nomination based soley on the excellence of their sandwiches). Graziano's showcases their upper scale products in their Mr. G sub, an incredible offering that may tip the scale towards their superiority.
    Or is it the slicing of meats and cheeses to order that makes a difference?

I actually recently had a sub from Bari at 2:30 in the afternoon for which they freshly sliced the meats. The mortadella in particular was cut paper-thin and was ethereal. They must pre-slice for the lunch rush and I will say this- their line is dispatched of much more quickly than Graziano's based on recent experiences.

I've been known to enjoy a Fontano's from time to time. But I think their sub is in a different league than Graziano's or Bari, featuring workaday ingredients such as Turano bread. And I've never had Al & Joe's or Minelli's, hell I've never even been to Da Riv.

What I'm getting at is this, Bari makes a fine sandwich using high quality ingredients that compares favorably to others. I also enjoy eating subs from other places, but the reason why I nominated Bari for a GNR is that it is in my neighborhood. No matter if it gets renewed, my relationship with the place won't change.
  • Post #88 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm
    Post #88 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm Post #88 - October 3rd, 2011, 8:26 pm
    Graziano's giardiniera is produced off-site for their 'Victoria' house brand, but I don't know if it's to their specific recipe or just something white label. Bari's is clearly their own recipe.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #89 - October 4th, 2011, 1:43 am
    Post #89 - October 4th, 2011, 1:43 am Post #89 - October 4th, 2011, 1:43 am
    Inspired by this thread, I was prompted to go on an expedition:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32973

-Mark Twain
  • Post #90 - October 4th, 2011, 8:50 am
    Post #90 - October 4th, 2011, 8:50 am Post #90 - October 4th, 2011, 8:50 am
    Oh, easily a GNR. I'll regularly traverse Saturday traffic across town, plus the line down the aisle, for an Italian with Hot. Haven't ever had a better sandwich than what Bari puts out. Yes, the giardiniera is a big part of the reason, but so is wonderful balance of their sandwich.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more