LTH Home

Naf-Naf Grill in Naperville

Naf-Naf Grill in Naperville
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Naf-Naf Grill in Naperville

Post #1 - August 19th, 2009, 7:53 am
    Post #1 - August 19th, 2009, 7:53 am Post #1 - August 19th, 2009, 7:53 am
    I would like to nominate Naf-Naf grill in Naperville for a GNR Award. While there is a lot of love for Middle Eastern food on this board, Naf-Naf has the most authentic Israeli food I've found in the Chicago area, with the possible exception of Taboun. But since I don't keep kosher, Naf-Naf's modest prices keep me coming back for more. The fresh pita, the chicken schnitzel and the salad are the tastes I remember from my year and a half of living in Israel. Every time I have been there, food has been extremely fresh and service is always friendly. I actually think they need a bigger space -- lately, even the outdoor dining is crowded there and once winter hits they will be hard pressed to get all their customers seated inside.

Suzy

Naf-Naf Grill
    1739 Freedom Drive
    Naperville, IL
    (630) 904-7200
    http://www.nafnafgrill.com
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #2 - August 19th, 2009, 8:20 am
    Post #2 - August 19th, 2009, 8:20 am Post #2 - August 19th, 2009, 8:20 am
    Suzy,

I recall reading aobut Naf-Naf once or twice, but nothing sticks out in my menory. Can you point us to some threads on LTH where Naf-Naf is discussed?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - August 19th, 2009, 8:50 am
    Post #3 - August 19th, 2009, 8:50 am Post #3 - August 19th, 2009, 8:50 am
    I believe this is the main thread on Naf Naf.
  • Post #4 - August 19th, 2009, 3:53 pm
    Post #4 - August 19th, 2009, 3:53 pm Post #4 - August 19th, 2009, 3:53 pm
    Suzy, the only reservation I had about nominating Naf Naf was whether it had stood the test of time. Oh, and the fact that the owner sussed me out after my initial post and has been especially nice to me ever since. I guess it is not fair to hold that against him or his restaurant, though I do prefer anonymity.

Honestly, the place does keep getting better as they refine their system and menu, and everything is made carefully and to a very high standard.

The kefta kebab sandwich (much more like a half-pound kefta patty) on fresh, pillowy pita, along with the house made fries, a little extra hot sauce and a complementary plate of olives makes a bargain lunch, leaves enough for a good dinner too, and did I say it was delicious?

I heartily second.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #5 - August 20th, 2009, 6:55 am
    Post #5 - August 20th, 2009, 6:55 am Post #5 - August 20th, 2009, 6:55 am
    The owner hasn't figured me out yet, and I feel the same way about the food that you do! Actually, now that I found out that they are making those "cigars" that I love so much from Taboun, I'm going to have to make another trip out there to get them. We first tried those at one of the Chicago Jewish Folk Festivals (a.k.a. Yidstock in my house). If anything, I think Taboun will need to open a second location or look for a larger place soon. I brought a friend there a few weeks ago who also spent time in Israel in the '70's. She couldn't stop raving about the schnitzel, the hummous and the pita. It really is "ta'am Yisrael" (hebrew for a taste of Israel).

I can't walk out of there without grabbing an extra bag of that pita bread for home.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #6 - August 20th, 2009, 7:51 am
    Post #6 - August 20th, 2009, 7:51 am Post #6 - August 20th, 2009, 7:51 am
    sdritz wrote:If anything, I think Taboun will need to open a second location or look for a larger place soon.

Not to hijack this thread, but there is a new branch of Taboun that recently opened.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #7 - August 29th, 2009, 7:20 am
    Post #7 - August 29th, 2009, 7:20 am Post #7 - August 29th, 2009, 7:20 am
    I want to add my strong support for this nomination. I had a recent meal there that both surprised and delighted me. Naf Naf would make a fine addition to the list of GNRs!
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm
    Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm Post #8 - August 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm
    I have eaten at Naf Naf a handful of times. I have enjoyed the hummous, falafal and shwarma. Got to love that Pita - crazy good. I heartily support the nomination of this place. If this place stands the test of time is a given if the food stays this good.
    Always finish your drink, there are sober kids in India......
  • Post #9 - September 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    Post #9 - September 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm Post #9 - September 4th, 2009, 1:47 pm
    I would also like to throw in my vote for Naf Naf as a GNR. I've made myself a regular at Naf Naf, and their food is consistently excellent, definitely unique for the area, and the owners are very congenial. Altogether an indispensable addition to the Naperville scene.

And to echo a previous comment, the schnitzel has improved dramatically over the past few months (not that it was ever bad) and is currently drool-worthy.
  • Post #10 - September 10th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    Post #10 - September 10th, 2009, 2:23 pm Post #10 - September 10th, 2009, 2:23 pm
    I am becoming more and more of a fan of the beef offerings - kifta kebab is my favorite, and beef tenderloin was excellent when I tried it last week. Fun to watch them fine tune, and improve on each visit.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:01 am
    Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:01 am Post #11 - September 19th, 2011, 4:01 am
    This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - September 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am
    Post #12 - September 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am Post #12 - September 23rd, 2011, 8:51 am
    I definitely think Naf-Naf's GNR award should be renewed. The location may have changed since Naf-Naf was honored with the GNR award, but in my opinion the food remains at a high level. Sure it's no longer a tiny hole in the wall type place and they seem to be expanding at an exponential rate, but the most important thing to me is that the pitas remain pillowy, the kifta kabob patties are still juicy and flavorful and the house made fries with hot sauce are delicious. I can say with certainty that in my 10 plus visits over the last 6 months that this is true.

I can also give props to Naf-Naf as a catering option. We had them cater a party last summer and it went off without a hitch. Enough food for 15-20 people for around $200. Everything packaged up securely. They helped carry all of the food to my car. The food also held up quite well as we picked it up a few hours before it was time to eat.

These comments can only be applied to the Naperville location as I haven't been to the Aurora location.
  • Post #13 - September 30th, 2011, 1:31 pm
    Post #13 - September 30th, 2011, 1:31 pm Post #13 - September 30th, 2011, 1:31 pm
    Since the move I agree that the simple charm of the place has diminished a little, but the food is as good as ever. And you usually can get in and get a table now, which was no longer the case at the old location.

Still great.

Has anyone visited the new location? Last time I was there and mildly whining about long lines, I was told the new location is not so busy and I should try it. Also not so convenient, so I may not but I am curious.

Naf Naf (2)
    4430 Fox Valley Center Drive, Suite 101
    Aurora, IL 60504
    Tel: 630.499.1700
    Fax: 630.499.1701
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #14 - October 1st, 2011, 8:24 pm
    Post #14 - October 1st, 2011, 8:24 pm Post #14 - October 1st, 2011, 8:24 pm
    While I haven't been to Naf Naf 2 yet, and am anxiously awaiting Naf 3 in Niles, the original should retain the GNR for the pita alone. The Naf does cost more than the average middle eastern place, but the quality is also better. A worthy inclusion on the GNR list.

Glenn
  • Post #15 - July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 am
    Post #15 - July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 am Post #15 - July 3rd, 2013, 10:01 am
    They've certainly turned into an empire of locations, but I've yet to be disappointed in the food I've had from the Naperville location.

I think their GNR should be renewed.
  • Post #16 - July 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am
    Post #16 - July 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am Post #16 - July 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am
    I eat at the Niles location fairly often and I think it's fine but nothing special. The food's tasty and competently prepared but not really exceptional. The place is certainly good but is it great? Not in my book.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #17 - July 9th, 2013, 9:12 am
    Post #17 - July 9th, 2013, 9:12 am Post #17 - July 9th, 2013, 9:12 am
    Walking from Ogilvie to Millennium Park last night we hit the Naf Naf at 309 W Washington St.
    We both ordered the steak shawarma in pita, I added the combo.

High points: flavorful meat, condiments are more varied than Pita Inn (incl. hummos, cabbage, cucumbers), steamed pita was able to absorb all the sauces without leakage, great hot sauce, the crispy fries chips (the ones that were crispy, that is), overall very tasty.

Low points: meat is shredded to within an inch of its life, a little texture would have helped, steamed pita adds little except for its flexibility, undercooked fries/chips. Small menu.

All in all, it's a good quick lunch/dinner on the go, but I don't know that I'd put it any higher than Roti, just down the street.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #18 - July 9th, 2013, 9:22 am
    Post #18 - July 9th, 2013, 9:22 am Post #18 - July 9th, 2013, 9:22 am
    Steamed Pita?
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #19 - July 9th, 2013, 10:04 am
    Post #19 - July 9th, 2013, 10:04 am Post #19 - July 9th, 2013, 10:04 am
    stevez wrote:Steamed Pita?

It certainly seemed that way. They're pulled out of a styrofoam chest, and are very soft.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #20 - July 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm
    Post #20 - July 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm Post #20 - July 9th, 2013, 1:41 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    stevez wrote:Steamed Pita?

It certainly seemed that way. They're pulled out of a styrofoam chest, and are very soft.

Their style has always been soft, rater then firm, pita. I've never observed them being held like that, though. In the Niles location, for example, you can watch them being baked and they seem to do a big enough volume that there is never a need to hold them, or at least not for very long. I haven't been to the downtown location, though. It could be that the pitas are being trucked in from another location for that store.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #21 - July 14th, 2013, 8:23 am
    Post #21 - July 14th, 2013, 8:23 am Post #21 - July 14th, 2013, 8:23 am
    the wimperoo wrote:They've certainly turned into an empire of locations, but I've yet to be disappointed in the food I've had from the Naperville location.

I think their GNR should be renewed.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. I haven't been to any of the other locations except Naperville. On the rare occaisions I'm out that far west, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that either Katy's or Naf is in the plans. Naf usually wins because the other Katy's locations are better, imo. So, Naf-Naf in Naperville, I'm all for retaining gnr status. The other locations though - no idea. From the posts here though, it seems there may be issues at the other lcoations. At Naperville, my standard order is: Lentil soup, baba ghannouj with falafel on top, and a chicken schwarma sandwich. Five or six (or twenty) of their little hot sauces and an extra pita or two makes an insanely delicious meal for two. I don't get there very often, and I've only tried one or two other things which were not as great as my normal order, so I don't stray from it any more. If GNR status is not renewed, I don't care, it will still be a gnr to me, and if anyone asks me where they should eat in Naperville, The Naf will always be part of my reply. The other locations though? - I have no idea.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #22 - September 14th, 2013, 10:44 am
    Post #22 - September 14th, 2013, 10:44 am Post #22 - September 14th, 2013, 10:44 am
    Based on this thread I started eating at the Niles location. I've even made Mr.pairs4life leave the city and haul up for the food.

Last week I got to eat at the Naperville location. I was time-constrained and landed at 12:10 pm with a line that left me standing outside of the door. Once inside, I was placing my order in less than 7 minutes and had my food in 5 minutes. The pita was puffy and packed so full of falafel, it was almost impossible to shove in their fries, but somehow I managed.

I don't get out to Naperville often but I'm glad Naf Naf is there and the food was delicious. It should remain a GNR.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more