LTH Home

Hoosier Mama Pie Company - Pie

Hoosier Mama Pie Company - Pie
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - September 14th, 2009, 11:42 am
    Post #31 - September 14th, 2009, 11:42 am Post #31 - September 14th, 2009, 11:42 am
    Oh, I forgot something last night: my wife has some strange dislike of crust that typically extends to pies of any variety, and to pizza of any kind as well. Well, not all crust, but to the hard end-pieces of crust that you would get on a slice of pie or pizza. It is a sure bet that there will be a neat pile of crusts waiting to be thrown away after she has finished either dish.

Until we ate at Hoosier Mama. Every last morsel of that quiche was devoured, and then she shocked me by reaching over and grabbing a piece of the end crust from my pork-apple-sage pie. And thus far with the sweet pies brought home, every last bite of crust has disappeared, quickly. I am both shocked and awed by this turn of events :wink:
  • Post #32 - September 14th, 2009, 1:52 pm
    Post #32 - September 14th, 2009, 1:52 pm Post #32 - September 14th, 2009, 1:52 pm
    In case I wasn't clear in my prior posts either here or on the main thread, I definitely throw my support behind Hoosier Mama as a GNR. In addition to filling a perceived void for good pie in Chicago, I really like that the shop focuses on just one thing (pie, of course). I've never had a dud in the bunch. I look forward to trying more creative variations on Paula Haney's pies in the future, but for now, I'm happy to stick with her well-executed classics. Hoosier Mama, a very dangerous 2 blocks from my house, and this other little place (very dangerously situated 4 blocks away), are two reasons why I feel very lucky to live in my neighborhood.
  • Post #33 - February 8th, 2011, 12:23 pm
    Post #33 - February 8th, 2011, 12:23 pm Post #33 - February 8th, 2011, 12:23 pm
    Moderator Note: This post was on made another thread after Hoosier Mama Pie Company had already been awarded a GNR, so we've merged it into this thread.

My nominee for Great Neighborhood Restaurant is Hoosier Mama Pie Company. It produces outstanding pies, both sweet and savory, with panache and funky style. The bakery is operated by the extremely talented Paula Haney, once pastry chef at Trio ( one of my favorite restaurants of all-time ), now striving to gain control of her life while answering the question, "Where do I go to get a good piece of pie in Chicago?"

I first heard about the place on ABC's Hungry Hound segment, and then checked LTH for more information. I discovered from Hoosier Mama's website that their pies were nearby, at Evanston's Unicorn Cafe. A few short miles later, and slices of apple and cherry pie were being devoured. Did they divert me to Ukrainian Village? Not quite yet. Another week passed, another visit to Unicorn, and raspberry pie. Now I was hooked!

So after a visit to the spouse's doctor at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, we drove down to Ashland and Chicago, and discovered the little storefront that is Hoosier Mama Pie Company. Little did I know that I was minutes away from the greatest piece of pie I had ever tasted, and still one of the five best desserts I have devoured in my fifty five years: blueberry apricot pie; fresh berries, fresh apricots, pecans and crumb topping, intensely flavored, just outstanding pie. But there was more!

Chocolate cream pie, like the best chocolate pudding ever, covered with fresh whipped cream, in a light buttery crust - luscious! Pecan pie that has graced our Thanksgiving table, and destroyed the ability to eat anyone else's pecan pie, ever again. And a pork/sage savory pie that is the ultimate in comfort food. I could go on, but you get the idea.

In a neighborhood that features several hot restaurants (West Town Tavern and Mexique come to mind), Hoosier Mama continues to draw both locals and commuters, because the pies and pastrys that come from her ovens are simply outstanding. And as part of the Noble Square / Ukrainian Village scene, it is the essence of a place that draws people into a neighborhood.

Bottom line - these are pies at the pinnacle of baking, and with fresh fruit coming from the Green Grocer's farmer's market, appealing to those of us who support local farmers and ultra-fresh ingredients.

And how can you not like a bakery whose motto is, "Keep your fork, there's pie!"

Thread title: Who's Your Mama? Hoosier Mama Pie Company
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24585

and assorted other threads in LTH, including:

Best Thing You've Eaten [Lately]
    My Chicago bucket list
    Top 10 Chicago Restaurant Dishes of 2010

Hoosier Mama Pie Company
    1618 1/2 Chicago Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (312) 243-4846

Monday CLOSED
    Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8a-7p
    Friday 8a-9p
    Saturday 9a-5p
    Sunday 10a-4p
  • Post #34 - September 19th, 2011, 4:15 am
    Post #34 - September 19th, 2011, 4:15 am Post #34 - September 19th, 2011, 4:15 am
    This place is up for renewal of its GNR. Please post your comments here until 10/10/11.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 2:34 pm
    Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 2:34 pm Post #35 - September 21st, 2011, 2:34 pm
    HI,

I do pretty well in the homemade pie department. I had a Hoosier Mama pear cranberry pie where my reaction, "This is better than I would have made."

I certainly cannot find any reason why Hoosier Mama Pie should not continue to be a Greater Neighborhood Restaurant.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #36 - September 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm
    Post #36 - September 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm Post #36 - September 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm
    I brought apple and chocolate cream pies to the office with me yesterday and introduced my office mates to the glory and wonder that is a Hoosier Mama pie. Every bite was perfect.
  • Post #37 - September 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm
    Post #37 - September 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm Post #37 - September 30th, 2011, 1:23 pm
    The Bride usually defers to me on food - her sole requirements being that we do not waste time getting food when she is hungry, and there be something on the menu that is not weird (devious boy that I am, she has not noticed that over the years her definition of what is not weird grows broader and broader).

Hoosier Mama is the exception. While I live in the great wastelands of the west, I have many reasons to come into the city, and when I do I know the one way to be very warmly greeted upon my return is to carry a pie or two. The crust is perfect, among the best I have ever had. The seasonal pie offerings are a great reason to look forward to the advance of the calendar. The little shotgun storefront is as perfect - a picture of a GNR in many ways.

I love Hoosier Mama and I feel better for admitting it.
    d
    Feeling (south) loopy
  • Post #38 - September 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm
    Post #38 - September 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm Post #38 - September 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm
    Hoosier Mama has spoiled me. There isn't another purchased pie that comes close, and it even trumps nearly every homemade pie I can remember having. A textbook GNR, IMO.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #39 - September 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    Post #39 - September 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm Post #39 - September 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    All I'll add is that the people at the cash register are uniformly friendly and very pleasant to deal with.

Jonah
  • Post #40 - October 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am
    Post #40 - October 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am Post #40 - October 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am
    Excited for an upcoming week-long stay at a lake house this summer, the only thing that could make me more excited than a week of peace, quiet, cooking, and reading, was the thought of spending a week locked away with two Hoosier Mama pies (one blueberry, one apricot/peach/raspberry). Special order, wait, strap to motorcycle, drive to airport, carry on to two flights, through skeptical TSA screenings - worth every bit of effort.

Two pies wedged under an A320 seat

Anyway, I think it's fairly well known that I'm a Hoosier Mama fanboy, so I won't wax on any further; I fully support Hoosier Mama's GNR status.

-Dan

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more