LTH Home

Newbie Question, Reviving Threads

Newbie Question, Reviving Threads
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Newbie Question, Reviving Threads

Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 6:38 pm
    Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 6:38 pm Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 6:38 pm
    I've tried to search for the guidelines on thread revival, and whether allowed or not. I use these PHP forums on quite a few sites, but might have missed it.

So if someone can be so kind,

What is the general "feel" or "vibe" on resurrecting old threads?

Here's my take on forums I have moderated, and please inform me of the custom here, so I can comply to the LTH Norm.

For a while, we used to hate when an old thread (up to a year or more) is revived. People would say "not this old thread again"

But I liked this approach. It showed someone used the search function, and not only that, it eliminated the "we already explored that here: <link to what would have been the revived thread>"

So before I commit what could ban me to LTH Heck, what are your thoughts on old post revival?

I just want to ensure I am following possibly established "guidelines"

Thanks. Great forum by the way. Few people even took the time to PM on some stuff. Great group.

GWiv emailed me answers years back (before LTH) on a bbq board, and I'm glad I looked up his site which led me here

Thanks again
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 6:45 pm
    Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 6:45 pm Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 6:45 pm
    I think virtually everyone here would rather you resurrect an old thread on a particular restaurant or topic than start a new one.

It makes keeping track of information much easier. I'm sure the mods will chime in also, but I've frequently been frustrated when someone starts the fifth thread for a particular restaurant, when the original would have worked just fine.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 6:50 pm
    Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 6:50 pm Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 6:50 pm
    Well, of course, nothing's THAT old here. A little over a year. How we'll feel in 2017, when we're using holographic cranial jacks and there's a radioactive crater where Moto used to be after an attempt at making brioche Pop Tarts went horribly wrong, hard to say.

My two cents, just as a user, is that it's mostly fine; I like the way threads build and come back. A good example is my "season of cake" thread, which I revived this year where it left off last year, and which then prompted all kinds of new stuff from folks who hadn't posted in it the previous year. That's cool. Revival also brings back threads that even someone who looks at nearly everything somehow missed, or missed the second half of, or whatever.

Part of the reason, too, may be that the threads are pretty dense with good info (if not quite laser-focused) and not filled with the kind of aimless chitchat and flame wars and injokes and so on that you see so much of. There are a few threads I can think of I hope never come back again, but not that many.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 7:22 pm
    Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 7:22 pm Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 7:22 pm
    I also favor reviving old threads, it makes each thread a self-contained database on the topic.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 8:01 pm
    Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 8:01 pm Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 8:01 pm
    Wow

Quick input, from members I look up to as far as past posts, etc.

Thanks

Thats what I thought

I am all for reviving, and keeping thoughts intact, regardless of date.

This came up when I was watching PBS Chicago Tonight, the talk of good Burger Joints in Chicago (searched a Culvers thread)

The thought was that after WWII, Chicago went the beef sandwich / hot dog route, Cincinnati went the Chili route, Philly the cheese steak etc..

Anyway, I am glad you folks take the time to address questions from the newer folks.

(I hope to start contributing (objectively) to bbq threads, cuz I have over 9,000 posts in other forums on that subject)

:P

Thanks again
    Bill-Plainfield

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events