• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • J.Gold's 99 Essential Los Angeles Restaurants

Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 10:26 pm
    Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 10:26 pm Post #1 - June 30th, 2005, 10:26 pm
    Jonathan Gold's 99 Essential L.A. Restaurants @ LA WEEKLY

E.M.
  • Post #2 - June 30th, 2005, 10:54 pm
    Post #2 - June 30th, 2005, 10:54 pm Post #2 - June 30th, 2005, 10:54 pm
    I was going to ask which you particularly agree or disagree with, but I am floored by this description:

Sometimes you get the feeling that the owners of Nook are running less an American bistro than a joke about an American bistro. As faithfully as they reproduce the fundamentals of the kind of fancily unfancy restaurants that pepper every urban neighborhood from San Diego to Augusta, Maine, they are also poking fun at it with every dried-cranberry garnish and each day-boat scallop, each obscure Belgian beer and each boutique Oregon Pinot Noir, each crusty roast chicken and dish of iconic macaroni and cheese. Almost every aspect of the restaurant, from its double-height communal table to the admonition on the menu that cell-phone use interferes with the controls on the deep fryer, is as ironically pitch-perfect as the Neil Diamond songs on a Silver Lake DJ’s iPod.

I guess my question is, how can you tell when your roast chicken is being ironic? Do you just have to live in L.A. long enough, and suddenly you get it? Am I just too much of a flyover hick to ever know?
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more