LTH Home

The Splendid Table

The Splendid Table
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Splendid Table

Post #1 - January 9th, 2005, 2:48 pm
    Post #1 - January 9th, 2005, 2:48 pm Post #1 - January 9th, 2005, 2:48 pm
    As FoodTV gets less and less useful and interesting, The Splendid Table is quite a good food program that runs on public radio, though not in Chicago. (Host Lynne Rossetto Kasper is also the author of a couple of very nice Italian cookbooks, one of which won the Beard award.)

You can listen to last week's here. The site has some other good resources too.

You can listen to it live on various public radio stations by following the links fromhere. I'm listening to it from Pocatello, Idaho right now.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - January 9th, 2005, 5:36 pm
    Post #2 - January 9th, 2005, 5:36 pm Post #2 - January 9th, 2005, 5:36 pm
    Mike:

Her book The Splendid Table on the cuisines of Emilia-Romagna is excellent and one of my favourites in general. Plus she's a Jersey girl...

:)

Thanks for the tip.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #3 - January 9th, 2005, 6:33 pm
    Post #3 - January 9th, 2005, 6:33 pm Post #3 - January 9th, 2005, 6:33 pm
    Hi,

I have listened to her program on public radio. It used to be, and perhaps still is, on very early on Sunday mornings. Is her show the one they used to regularly spoof on Saturday Night Live?

I love streaming radio/audio/film on the internet. It's the radio equivalent of TIVO, where you can listen when you can.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - January 9th, 2005, 7:08 pm
    Post #4 - January 9th, 2005, 7:08 pm Post #4 - January 9th, 2005, 7:08 pm
    It doesn't seem readily spoofable... I think it did used to have one of those coveted 6 am Sunday slots here, but not any more. Anyway, much easier to get it from Pocatello or many other such places.

The Splendid Table book is quite good, less so for the recipes (though I've used it happily) than for a lot of interesting history about food in Italy going back to Renaissance times (aka B.T., before tomatoes). One section I thought about when I was making my mincemeat pie is the one that talks about Renaissance-era sweet-savory pies, basically meat pies with cloves and other preservative spices which we wouldn't think of going with beef these days. I'm tempted to make one, even though it probably wouldn't go over these days.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more