LTH Home

Small Household Exchange @ Aroy Thai Sunday 11/11, 6 pm

Small Household Exchange @ Aroy Thai Sunday 11/11, 6 pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Small Household Exchange @ Aroy Thai Sunday 11/11, 6 pm

Post #1 - October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am
    Post #1 - October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am Post #1 - October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am
    It had been a tradition with the Small Household Exchange to select GNRs for our dinner, and in November we return to that tradition in dining at Aroy Thai. While I do not recall the year that Aroy became a GNR, but it was surely in one of the first batches. It was - and is - an iconic restaurant: one of the reasons that Chicago has such a strong tradition of Thai food (in contrast to, say, New York). It has been a great favorite of LTH.

Aroy Thai
    4654 N. Damon Avenue
    773-275-8360

Note that we cap attendance at 12 with a maximum of 10 people exchanging dishes. Those who exchange dishes will have first priority, but they should post by November 1st, in case this dinner is as popular as it might be.

The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation! But we encourage all to bring a few samples of the cuisine you enjoy at your home; it’s a great way for all of us to get to know each other better, discuss food and cooking techniques, and ultimately, later, have a meal at home that we might not have thought of making for ourselves.

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

Hope to see you there!

Sunday, November 11 @ 6 pm

Dinner and Exchange:
    nr706: Ravioli-ish dish
    Cathy2: Pulled pork
    yourhungrygf

Dinner:
    GAF
    diversedancer
    edc + 1
    moetchandon
    Last edited by GAF on November 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #2 - October 15th, 2018, 9:41 am
    Post #2 - October 15th, 2018, 9:41 am Post #2 - October 15th, 2018, 9:41 am
    In for dinner and exchange (does that surprise anyone?)
  • Post #3 - October 15th, 2018, 9:56 am
    Post #3 - October 15th, 2018, 9:56 am Post #3 - October 15th, 2018, 9:56 am
    I plan to attend as well as exchange.

What it will be is unknown to me!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 6:58 pm
    Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 6:58 pm Post #4 - October 15th, 2018, 6:58 pm
    I’m in for dinner and exchange. Looking forward to it.
  • Post #5 - October 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm
    Post #5 - October 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm Post #5 - October 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm
    I would like to come, for now without food exchange, but that could change unless the 10 limit has been hit by then. I am on a new, not a diet, but "food lifestyle", and whatever I bring might be too healthy for others and drive their digestive systems into shock.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #6 - October 16th, 2018, 8:37 am
    Post #6 - October 16th, 2018, 8:37 am Post #6 - October 16th, 2018, 8:37 am
    diversedancer wrote:I would like to come, for now without food exchange, but that could change unless the 10 limit has been hit by then. I am on a new, not a diet, but "food lifestyle", and whatever I bring might be too healthy for others and drive their digestive systems into shock.

I have put you on the list, and I hope that your new "food lifestyle" will permit you to enjoy the range of Thai food that we all will share.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #7 - October 16th, 2018, 10:02 am
    Post #7 - October 16th, 2018, 10:02 am Post #7 - October 16th, 2018, 10:02 am
    GAF wrote:
    I have put you on the list, and I hope that your new "food lifestyle" will permit you to enjoy the range of Thai food that we all will share.

It is a "lifestyle" with guidelines, not absolute RULES, and not "giving up all life". Any restaurant meal loosens the guidelines. If we order refried beans, I'll eat one small spoonful instead of 1/n, and I won't ask for a refill of salsa.

Fortunately, most of the rules that would be onerous to other Americans are things I did already, like minimal sweets and a salad for one meal per day--I just omit the tomatoes and sunflower seeds. For Sunday's group I ordered fewer extras than normal, and took home one small meal's worth.

This is the "Plant Paradox" plan, primarily avoiding (with a few exceptions) anything GMO or with seeds (including animals that ate them) and no fructose. No cow's milk, so I bought some goat cheese last night. And I will probably eat a tiny quantity of blue cheese too, otherwise life is not worth living.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #8 - October 19th, 2018, 1:06 am
    Post #8 - October 19th, 2018, 1:06 am Post #8 - October 19th, 2018, 1:06 am
    I figured out that my mom's recipe for Egg Foo Young, with one or two small changes (other than "mechanics" like the gravy thickener and frying oil) would fit my new "food regimen", so if I have time to trial and confirm, as well as make sure the completed dish can be stored and transported, I will switch to exchange if you haven't hit the limit by then. And I have not made that EFY for at least 40 years, so may have to experiment on the unrecorded quantities. This is just advance warning, do not change me yet.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #9 - October 19th, 2018, 9:16 am
    Post #9 - October 19th, 2018, 9:16 am Post #9 - October 19th, 2018, 9:16 am
    diversedancer wrote:I figured out that my mom's recipe for Egg Foo Young, with one or two small changes (other than "mechanics" like the gravy thickener and frying oil) would fit my new "food regimen", so if I have time to trial and confirm, as well as make sure the completed dish can be stored and transported, I will switch to exchange if you haven't hit the limit by then. And I have not made that EFY for at least 40 years, so may have to experiment on the unrecorded quantities. This is just advance warning, do not change me yet.

I will keep you where you are and will wait to hear. Perhaps China Chef will be a testing ground.
  • Post #10 - October 31st, 2018, 5:05 pm
    Post #10 - October 31st, 2018, 5:05 pm Post #10 - October 31st, 2018, 5:05 pm
    Presently, I am considering stuffed grape leaves.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - November 1st, 2018, 9:52 am
    Post #11 - November 1st, 2018, 9:52 am Post #11 - November 1st, 2018, 9:52 am
    Hi! I would like to join the exchange.
  • Post #12 - November 1st, 2018, 1:16 pm
    Post #12 - November 1st, 2018, 1:16 pm Post #12 - November 1st, 2018, 1:16 pm
    yourhungrygf wrote:Hi! I would like to join the exchange.

May I presume you are in for dinner, too?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - November 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm
    Post #13 - November 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm Post #13 - November 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm
    As of today, November 1st, we have six attendees, and could welcme six more. For those of you LTHers who have wanted to dine at long-time GNR Aroy Thai - or have wanted to dine again at Aroy Thai - this could be your opportunity. Even if you don't wish to be part of the exchange, with ten days to go, I am opening up the just for dinner list.
  • Post #14 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:20 pm
    Post #14 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:20 pm Post #14 - November 2nd, 2018, 3:20 pm
    I'll be making/bringing something ravioli-ish.
  • Post #15 - November 4th, 2018, 10:26 am
    Post #15 - November 4th, 2018, 10:26 am Post #15 - November 4th, 2018, 10:26 am
    I plan to attend + 1. We’ll be dinner only participants.
  • Post #16 - November 5th, 2018, 2:39 pm
    Post #16 - November 5th, 2018, 2:39 pm Post #16 - November 5th, 2018, 2:39 pm
    I sadly will not be able to do the exchange. I will still attend for dinner with nr706.
  • Post #17 - November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm
    Post #17 - November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm Post #17 - November 8th, 2018, 8:16 pm
    I'll have to pass on this one. Caught a bug on Saturday and don't want to give you my cooties, especially not in a 5.5" box.

But I'll see you on 12/6!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #18 - November 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm
    Post #18 - November 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm Post #18 - November 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm
    HI,

The great switcheroo: from stuffed grape leaves to pulled pork made fresh today.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - November 9th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    Post #19 - November 9th, 2018, 10:02 pm Post #19 - November 9th, 2018, 10:02 pm
    I called Aroy tonight and made reservations for 8-10 for Sunday. It will be either under the name Gary or Fine, I forget which.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more