LTH Home

Evanston Lunch Group - Falcon Eddy’s BBQ, 7/11, 12:30 p.m.

Evanston Lunch Group - Falcon Eddy’s BBQ, 7/11, 12:30 p.m.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Evanston Lunch Group - Falcon Eddy’s BBQ, 7/11, 12:30 p.m.

Post #1 - June 21st, 2018, 3:34 pm
    Post #1 - June 21st, 2018, 3:34 pm Post #1 - June 21st, 2018, 3:34 pm
    We have been waiting for Falcon Eddy’s to open, and they now tell me they will do so on Wednesday, June 27, at 11:00 a.m. The Evanston Lunch Group will give them two weeks to get up and running and then sample their Texas-style BBQ. Their website asserts they will be making their own rubs and smoking “high-quality cuts of meat.” Their menu looks ambitious and includes brisket, sausage, (St. Louis) ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, and fried whitefish with a full list of sides.

Please join us to check out this newest of Evanston restaurants. Barbeque aficionados, newbies, and all other eaters are welcome.

Wednesday, July 11
    12:30 p.m.

Falcon Eddy’s Barbeque
    825 Church Street
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 859-6991
    https://www.falconeddysbbq.com/about/
    https://www.facebook.com/FalconEddysbbq/
  • Post #2 - June 21st, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Post #2 - June 21st, 2018, 3:37 pm Post #2 - June 21st, 2018, 3:37 pm
    Sounds great! See you there.
  • Post #3 - June 23rd, 2018, 1:40 am
    Post #3 - June 23rd, 2018, 1:40 am Post #3 - June 23rd, 2018, 1:40 am
    I'd like to try this.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #4 - June 23rd, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Post #4 - June 23rd, 2018, 2:15 pm Post #4 - June 23rd, 2018, 2:15 pm
    In.
    Last edited by nsxtasy on July 1st, 2018, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #5 - June 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm
    Post #5 - June 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm Post #5 - June 25th, 2018, 3:38 pm
    Barbecue aficionado here; and bringing a newbie which totals 2 of us.
  • Post #6 - June 26th, 2018, 1:25 pm
    Post #6 - June 26th, 2018, 1:25 pm Post #6 - June 26th, 2018, 1:25 pm
    Checking out the menu. $15.95 for a pound of elotes???? that cant be right
  • Post #7 - June 27th, 2018, 1:14 am
    Post #7 - June 27th, 2018, 1:14 am Post #7 - June 27th, 2018, 1:14 am
    Assuming this is everybody order their own food? I'm OK with either family style and split the check or all individual, or individual plus some shared, but for some of my potential +1 friends it might matter.

Is it like last several places (this plus north group) where you buy your food then go sit down, or table service, and if table service, will they do separate checks?

Assuming each order their own, I would like to set up before we get there:

--Two to five people to share an order of elotes. They sound good I but can't imagine wanting a whole pound of them (maybe a mistake, maybe I'll wish I bought 2 orders....of course I can order more to take home if they are that good)

--One person to split a texas chopped salad with vinaigrette dressing, no chicken (blue cheese makes me want it)

--And wouldn't mind one to three people to split a pork shoulder (the crustiness sounds good), but not a big deal.

I'll probably get the falcon sampler with add-ons and take home several more meals. That includes two sides which makes it like $16 plus the sides, since sides each cost more than a pair at City BBQ.

Am I missing something? The only way to get baby back ribs is as an add-on to the Falcon sampler?
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #8 - June 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm
    Post #8 - June 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm Post #8 - June 27th, 2018, 12:40 pm
    diversedancer wrote:Assuming this is everybody order their own food? I'm OK with either family style and split the check or all individual, or individual plus some shared, but for some of my potential +1 friends it might matter.

Our standard practice has been to eat family style and split the bill. This way we use our LTH "ordering power" to try many dishes. If you want to order your own meal, eat only your own meal, and then pay for your own meal, that's up to you.
    diversedancer wrote: Is it like last several places (this plus north group) where you buy your food then go sit down, or table service, and if table service, will they do separate checks?

The place only opened today, so I don't know the answer. Perhaps you could investigate and let us all know.
    diversedancer wrote: Assuming each order their own, I would like to set up before we get there:

--Two to five people to share an order of elotes. They sound good I but can't imagine wanting a whole pound of them (maybe a mistake, maybe I'll wish I bought 2 orders....of course I can order more to take home if they are that good)

--One person to split a texas chopped salad with vinaigrette dressing, no chicken (blue cheese makes me want it)

--And wouldn't mind one to three people to split a pork shoulder (the crustiness sounds good), but not a big deal.

I'll probably get the falcon sampler with add-ons and take home several more meals. That includes two sides which makes it like $16 plus the sides, since sides each cost more than a pair at City BBQ.

Am I missing something? The only way to get baby back ribs is as an add-on to the Falcon sampler?

These are good ideas, but without a complicated system for obtaining all attendees' assent in advance, we will need to wait until we are together at the restaurant before we decide on our order. We don't know if the online menu is what we will be given when we arrive, and we don't know what we might be able to order from a flexible staff.
  • Post #9 - June 27th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    Post #9 - June 27th, 2018, 1:36 pm Post #9 - June 27th, 2018, 1:36 pm
    I completely agree with EvA. We have been doing family style for 14 years. I don’t feel we need to change, because it works. There hasn’t been an issue in the past with ordering or splitting the check. If someone would like to order and pay separately for their own meal, which I think has been done in the past, that is perfectly acceptable to do. Let’s not over complicate the situation. This is a simple lunch amongst friends.
  • Post #10 - July 1st, 2018, 2:08 pm
    Post #10 - July 1st, 2018, 2:08 pm Post #10 - July 1st, 2018, 2:08 pm
    Thanks for the great explanations of our usual practice, of splitting the bill equally, along with the option to "opt out" (separate bill, separate food, no sharing) for anyone so inclined.

Just to add a bit of information to how we usually handle that... If anyone has any other significant charges (such as an alcoholic beverage or an additional item for carry-out), he/she typically pays extra for those on top of the shared amount.

The total that we wind up paying lately is usually around $20 per person including tax/tip, although it's occasionally somewhat less ($16, Alexander's) or somewhat more ($26, Kabul House). I would expect Falcon Eddy's to end up perhaps a few bucks more than our typical $20, just because they don't have lunch specials or a separate lunch menu, and barbecue is generally expensive.

If you want to share and there are one or two specific dishes you want to try, speak up when the group is deciding on what to order so your preferences can be accommodated.

Oh, and for those sharing the bill, it helps to bring bills/singles so you can pay with exact change (we normally round to even dollars).
  • Post #11 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am
    Post #11 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am Post #11 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am
    As I said originally, *I* (myself) am happy with family style, but I realize that makes more sense when there is a bigger variety of items like at middle eastern. A BBQ place has fewer item and they are more similar to each other. I felt this group (Evanston lunch) was a bit staid and not interested in trying more, and more unusual items from the menu. Also, quantity. with, say, 8 people, it's hard to take 1/8 of a dish when it is passed (especially BBQ/RIBS: if there are 8, but some are tiny and dried out and others huge, or if there are 6, probably two get none as they are hard to split, etc). Maybe some items that everybody wants we should get two orders of. I myself, have no problem if it comes to $30 or more.

Some of the friends I plan to invite are less likely to come with family style because they feel it will cost more, but that is that is up to them, not my concern except to let them know. I would agree with them if at a place where some people order multiple $8 fancy alcoholic drinks that i get to pay for (maybe alcohol is never included in family style? I don't know, I do not have enough experience).
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #12 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am
    Post #12 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am Post #12 - July 2nd, 2018, 8:35 am
    diversedancer wrote:As I said originally, *I* (myself) am happy with family style, but I realize that makes more sense when there is a bigger variety of items like at middle eastern. A BBQ place has fewer item and they are more similar to each other. I felt this group (Evanston lunch) was a bit staid and not interested in trying more, and more unusual items from the menu. Also, quantity. with, say, 8 people, it's hard to take 1/8 of a dish when it is passed (especially BBQ/RIBS: if there are 8, but some are tiny and dried out and others huge, or if there are 6, probably two get none as they are hard to split, etc). Maybe some items that everybody wants we should get two orders of. I myself, have no problem if it comes to $30 or more.

Some of the friends I plan to invite are less likely to come with family style because they feel it will cost more, but that is that is up to them, not my concern except to let them know. I would agree with them if at a place where some people order multiple $8 fancy alcoholic drinks that i get to pay for (maybe alcohol is never included in family style? I don't know, I do not have enough experience).

Given your qualms about the company, the price, and the practices of the Evanston Lunch Group, I have a hard time understanding your interest in attending. Perhaps you would do better with your own friends at your own lunch?
  • Post #13 - July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am
    Post #13 - July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am Post #13 - July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 am
    diversedancer wrote:I felt this group (Evanston lunch) was a bit staid and not interested in trying more, and more unusual items from the menu.

Wow. This could not be more wrong. I have heard this issue raised (away from the group), but on the other side - an objection that we ALWAYS order the most unusual items from the menu. (And furthermore that those items often turn out to be the ones most likely to be left over at the end of the meal.)

diversedancer wrote:Also, quantity. with, say, 8 people, it's hard to take 1/8 of a dish when it is passed (especially BBQ/RIBS: if there are 8, but some are tiny and dried out and others huge, or if there are 6, probably two get none as they are hard to split, etc). Maybe some items that everybody wants we should get two orders of.

Again, the fact that you have apparently not joined us before is showing. Our normal practice is to order as many of a particular dish as is necessary for everyone to have enough for a sufficient portion - often two orders, and sometimes more.

diversedancer wrote:I would agree with them if at a place where some people order multiple $8 fancy alcoholic drinks that i get to pay for (maybe alcohol is never included in family style? I don't know, I do not have enough experience).

As I mentioned above, those ordering alcoholic beverages - typically only one or two of us, if any - normally pay for those on top of the amount we split for the rest of the meal.

Perhaps you might want to join us and give it a try, rather than dreaming up possible objections that don't hold weight because we don't handle sharing the way you mistakenly think we do.
  • Post #14 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am
    Post #14 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am Post #14 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am
    EvA wrote:
    diversedancer wrote:As I said originally, *I* (myself) am happy with family style, ...I myself, have no problem if it comes to $30 or more.

Some of the friends I plan to invite are less likely to come with family style because they feel it will cost more, but that is that is up to them, not my concern except to let them know. ,,, .

Given your qualms about the company, the price, and the practices of the Evanston Lunch Group, I have a hard time understanding your interest in attending. Perhaps you would do better with your own friends at your own lunch?

If you read my comments carefully, you should be able to figure out "my friends" are less adventurous than I am. It is an effort to get my friends go go beyond McD or Chili's. I did attend Zad, would have been happy to pay $5-10 more for some more dishes. Or paid $90 to tag along on an episode of Bizarre foods. If I went alone, I probably would have spent $35-45 and stuffed myself and/or taken food home, neither good for my waistline.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #15 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am
    Post #15 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am Post #15 - July 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am
    nsxtasy wrote:As I mentioned above, those ordering alcoholic beverages - typically only one or two of us, if any - normally pay for those on top of the amount we split for the rest of the meal.

Perhaps you might want to join us and give it a try, rather than dreaming up possible objections that don't hold weight because we don't handle sharing the way you mistakenly think we do.

I've been to one event (Zad), I don't think alcohol was available (if it was,just beer and wine). I did suggest we might need two orders of one of the dishes the response I heard to mean it would never be considered, not just that it wasn't necessary this one time. At a different group (NOT Evanston), we each ordered, then shared another order ($10 each IIRC). It seemed like the dishes that were shared started at the other end of the table and were kind of decimated by the time they got to our end (none of the good stuff, or not enough for everybody, like 6 shrimp taken by 6 at the other end, 2 left for 5 of us), but I don't remember details, because it wasn't a big deal...maybe I would have preferred getting two of the main shared dish, one for each end of the table, but, as I said, not that big a deal. My $10 was a donation to the people that did the work of setting up the lunch.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #16 - July 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm
    Post #16 - July 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm Post #16 - July 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm
    DD,

You are walking into groups who have been meeting a long time and have established rituals and behaviors.

Most often when people walk in fresh to an established situation. One participates by going with the flow and trying to understand if what they do is what you want to do. Someone may go once or twice and find it does not work for them. Others join in and may make suggestions over time to enhance everyone's experience.

If you were more established, you would understand what does and does not work with your friends. Instead of asking everyone to use their time and spin wheels to accommodate people we may or may not ever meet.

I have a friend who spends too much time at the same restaurants, because of a social group whose personalities and ethics she enjoys. These friends have a limited range of where they like to eat. When we go out, we go to places these friends won't and have a delicious time. Mixing me with them or vice versa is the classic oil and water don't mix situation.

If your friends enjoy Chilis, then let them have Chilis. Most of them seem to be aged enough, they know what they like and not likely to change. Of course miracles can happen, my ancient Grandfather learned to love Shrimp with Oyster sauce shortly before he died.

You run a monthly dinner for a group. I'm sure you have learned it is next to impossible to please everybody.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    LTHforum Tribe member since 2004 and earlier :D
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #17 - July 4th, 2018, 12:15 pm
    Post #17 - July 4th, 2018, 12:15 pm Post #17 - July 4th, 2018, 12:15 pm
    Btw...I’m in for lunch.
  • Post #18 - July 4th, 2018, 8:16 pm
    Post #18 - July 4th, 2018, 8:16 pm Post #18 - July 4th, 2018, 8:16 pm
    I'd like to attend. It will make my first attendance at an LTH event.

Fwiw, early feedback of Falcon Eddy's was good from customers at Beer on Central Saturday. If the portions are anything like the proprietor's other business Bat 17, sharing will be very easy regardless of which end of the table goes first. I hope this can feel like the return of Merle's BBQ to a space steps away.
  • Post #19 - July 5th, 2018, 8:44 am
    Post #19 - July 5th, 2018, 8:44 am Post #19 - July 5th, 2018, 8:44 am
    Just heard about this forum from a neighbor at yesterday's 4th of July party! So this will be my first attendance at LTH event. There will be 2 of us joining. Look forward to it!
  • Post #20 - July 9th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Post #20 - July 9th, 2018, 4:02 pm Post #20 - July 9th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Sorry, we can't make it this time. -2. :(
  • Post #21 - July 9th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    Post #21 - July 9th, 2018, 4:03 pm Post #21 - July 9th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    I'll be there. I have a morning meeting, but should have plenty of time to make it.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #22 - July 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm
    Post #22 - July 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm Post #22 - July 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm
    Anybody know another restaurant with Elotes at a lower price? I'm really disappointed we didn't get them. I've certainly never had anything like that, and there wasn't any other food at FE to return for.

Hmmm, or maybe that can be my contribution to the pot luck....
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #23 - July 12th, 2018, 10:09 pm
    Post #23 - July 12th, 2018, 10:09 pm Post #23 - July 12th, 2018, 10:09 pm
    By the way, my favorite BBQ sauce there was Falcon Eddy's original mixed with Texas Heat.

PS I thought I saw a new chat for the August Evanston picnic which I intended to come back to, but now I can't find it.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #24 - July 13th, 2018, 9:11 am
    Post #24 - July 13th, 2018, 9:11 am Post #24 - July 13th, 2018, 9:11 am
    diversedancer wrote:Anybody know another restaurant with Elotes at a lower price?

Elotes are a Mexican "street food" commonly sold from pushcarts at festivals and sporting events (e.g. Sox games at Guaranteed Rate Field, from booths in Sections 127, 142, 104, and 528). They're under the category "Foods You’ll Find All Over the Market" in this article about the Maxwell Street Market:

The Fooditor Guide to the Maxwell Street Market

diversedancer wrote:I thought I saw a new chat for the August Evanston picnic which I intended to come back to, but now I can't find it.

Announcements of lunches by the Evanston Lunch Group™ are always posted in the LTH Events Calendar forum, with the words Evanston Lunch Group™ in the title. They typically appear by the end of the previous month (in this case, by the end of July for the August picnic) but not necessarily a few days after the previous lunch. I'm sure it will show up some time between now and the end of the month.
  • Post #25 - July 18th, 2018, 10:27 pm
    Post #25 - July 18th, 2018, 10:27 pm Post #25 - July 18th, 2018, 10:27 pm
    Hi! I have been a member of LTH before but could not figure out how to log back in so created a new account. I have lurked....forever, and I love to read everyone's take on food, restaurants and cooking. I was sad I couldn't attend this lunch group since it is very close to my office and I am intrigued by BBQ. I am from Murfreesboro TN (30 minutes from Nashville) so the search for good, local BBQ is real. I love Smoque. I was really hoping to hear what the lunch group thought of this restaurant. Does anyone have a review? Thanks for any info!
  • Post #26 - July 19th, 2018, 10:28 am
    Post #26 - July 19th, 2018, 10:28 am Post #26 - July 19th, 2018, 10:28 am
    Quick review, my opinion. The ribs, pork shoulder, and chicken were decent - not the best, but passable. The fries were excellent. The fried fish was terrible.

Nothing against Falcon Eddy's. I still love the burgers and salads at BAT 17, their sister restaurant.

If you don't want to go all the way to Smoque, the barbecue at Jared's place - BBQ Supply Co. on Western, just across the town line from Evanston - is excellent, and that's my go-to for barbecue near Evanston.
  • Post #27 - July 19th, 2018, 11:19 am
    Post #27 - July 19th, 2018, 11:19 am Post #27 - July 19th, 2018, 11:19 am
    Just to piggyback on Ken/nsxtasy's summary - the consensus was clear about staying away from the fish and somewhat less severely the brisket (though I'm not a brisket fan anyway, so simply repeating the connoisseurs' opinions).

I thought the sausage was serviceable in addition to the St. Louis ribs and pork, which I might've liked more than the group on average. A major appeal is the variety of sauces. From a slightly spicy Texas version to both Alabama White and Carolina Mustard, the variety might help compensate for a lack of intense smokiness or dry rub flavor. Full slab and fries is worth a try for anyone in the Evanston area before writing it off, IMO.
  • Post #28 - July 19th, 2018, 11:36 am
    Post #28 - July 19th, 2018, 11:36 am Post #28 - July 19th, 2018, 11:36 am
    I think we're all in rough agreement with some variations because of personal preferences. To me, everything was decent, but not outstanding.

My reaction to the brisket was that it was OK, but not on a par with Smoque.

My favorite was the St. Louis ribs. Not terribly smoky, but they were meaty and not fatty. I've had St. Louis ribs elsewhere that were overly fatty, and these were preferable.

The sausage also had reasonable flavor -- I've run across bland sausages in the past at places I have consciously forgotten.

Since Falcon Eddy's is close to your office, I suggest you give it a try and make your own judgment.

bweiny's suggestion of ribs + fries is something I would opt for.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #29 - July 19th, 2018, 1:45 pm
    Post #29 - July 19th, 2018, 1:45 pm Post #29 - July 19th, 2018, 1:45 pm
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events