LTH Home

Small HH Food Exchange, Garifuna Flava, Sun April 22 @ 5:30p

Small HH Food Exchange, Garifuna Flava, Sun April 22 @ 5:30p
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Small HH Food Exchange, Garifuna Flava, Sun April 22 @ 5:30p

    Post #1 - March 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am
    Post #1 - March 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am Post #1 - March 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am
    I hear such great things about this place, yet I've never been. Apologies to those who can't make the date. :(

    And now to plagiarize much of nr706's previous verbiage:
    The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation!

    What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

    Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

    The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

    The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

    There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

    The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

    Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

    The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

    Hope to see you there!

    DINNER PARTICIPANTS
    Pie Lady
    Cathy 2
    nr706
    moetchandon
    Rob
    Deb
    lougourd
    Jennie
    GAF

    EXCHANGE PARTICIPANTS (bring X# servings)
    Pie Lady — lamb stew if I can remember to slap it together before bed; Thai chicken stew if not. Dessert? Mayyyybe
    Cathy2 - Chicken mole with Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
    nr706 — Hasenpfeffer
    moetchandon

    Garifuna Flava
    2518 W 63rd St
    Chicago, IL 60629
    (773) 776-7440
    Last edited by Pie Lady on April 21st, 2018, 9:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #2 - March 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am
    Post #2 - March 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am Post #2 - March 22nd, 2018, 10:38 am
    Hi,

    I plan to attend for dinner and exchange. I intend to bring chicken mole.

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - March 22nd, 2018, 11:12 am
    Post #3 - March 22nd, 2018, 11:12 am Post #3 - March 22nd, 2018, 11:12 am
    Me! Me! Both!
  • Post #4 - March 22nd, 2018, 6:16 pm
    Post #4 - March 22nd, 2018, 6:16 pm Post #4 - March 22nd, 2018, 6:16 pm
    I'm in for both. Looking forward to it.
  • Post #5 - March 23rd, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Post #5 - March 23rd, 2018, 3:27 pm Post #5 - March 23rd, 2018, 3:27 pm
    Hi,

    Please add Rob and Deb to the dinner-only list. Rob is an anthropologist who had some interactions with the Garifuna. He's wanted to go for years to this restaurant.

    Regards,
    CAthy
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - March 24th, 2018, 10:27 am
    Post #6 - March 24th, 2018, 10:27 am Post #6 - March 24th, 2018, 10:27 am
    Jennie and I will be there for dinner only
  • Post #7 - March 26th, 2018, 1:10 am
    Post #7 - March 26th, 2018, 1:10 am Post #7 - March 26th, 2018, 1:10 am
    Hasenpfeffer, probably
  • Post #8 - April 9th, 2018, 8:47 am
    Post #8 - April 9th, 2018, 8:47 am Post #8 - April 9th, 2018, 8:47 am
    Count me in for dinner.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #9 - April 21st, 2018, 5:11 pm
    Post #9 - April 21st, 2018, 5:11 pm Post #9 - April 21st, 2018, 5:11 pm
    If it's not too late, I'd like to come to dinner (no exchange).
  • Post #10 - April 21st, 2018, 5:12 pm
    Post #10 - April 21st, 2018, 5:12 pm Post #10 - April 21st, 2018, 5:12 pm
    I am really sorry, Something has come up and Jennie and I cannot attend. Definitely next month.
  • Post #11 - April 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
    Post #11 - April 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm Post #11 - April 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
    Hi,

    ReneG, I think Pie Lady will welcome your attendance.

    For the exchange, I made:

    Chicken Mole made from air-dried chicken highlighted by NFriday and Mole Poblano from Cremeria la Ordena, 5958 S. Pulaski, 773-284-8300

    bnowell724's Mexican style rice

    Corn tortillas from El Milagro. I suggest reheating them over a gas flame for extra flavor.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #12 - April 21st, 2018, 9:49 pm
    Post #12 - April 21st, 2018, 9:49 pm Post #12 - April 21st, 2018, 9:49 pm
    Rene G wrote:If it's not too late, I'd like to come to dinner (no exchange).

    Never too late! :)
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #13 - April 21st, 2018, 9:51 pm
    Post #13 - April 21st, 2018, 9:51 pm Post #13 - April 21st, 2018, 9:51 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I am really sorry, Something has come up and Jennie and I cannot attend. Definitely next month.

    Noooooooo
    I hope everything is okay!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #14 - April 21st, 2018, 9:53 pm
    Post #14 - April 21st, 2018, 9:53 pm Post #14 - April 21st, 2018, 9:53 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:I hear such great things about this place, yet I've never been. Apologies to those who can't make the date. :(

    And now to plagiarize much of nr706's previous verbiage:
    The basics
    We’re always interested in fresh blood. Even if you can't exchange, please join us for dinner and conversation!

    What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

    Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

    The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes. Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. (Check the Events Board, there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

    The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12, and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two — if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

    There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

    The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange, and no one has to run out and buy more. Ideally, everyone will find a way to label their containers, describing the contents, so we don’t end up staring into our freezers at a field of blue-lidded containers and wondering what’s in each one (not that there’s anything wrong with the occasional surprise …).

    Please RSVP your attendance by responding in this thread one week before the monthly gathering. If you're exchanging, please post what you're bringing at least three days before the gathering.

    The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering.

    Hope to see you there!

    DINNER PARTICIPANTS
    Pie Lady
    Cathy 2
    nr706
    moetchandon
    Rob
    Deb
    Rene G
    GAF

    EXCHANGE PARTICIPANTS (bring 3 servings)
    Pie Lady — lamb stew if I can remember to slap it together before bed; Thai chicken stew if not.
    Cathy2
    nr706 — Hasenpfeffer
    moetchandon

    Garifuna Flava
    2518 W 63rd St
    Chicago, IL 60629
    (773) 776-7440
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #15 - April 22nd, 2018, 7:05 pm
    Post #15 - April 22nd, 2018, 7:05 pm Post #15 - April 22nd, 2018, 7:05 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:I am really sorry, Something has come up and Jennie and I cannot attend. Definitely next month.

    Noooooooo
    I hope everything is okay!


    I had to spend much of the weekend preparing things for work next week. I'm still not done. Couldn't face going out tonight. We did Lou ( Malnati) to go for dinner. Hope you guys had a great time.
  • Post #16 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am
    Post #16 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am Post #16 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:20 am
    Hi,

    A doodle is available to vote on preferred times for May's exchange.

    Proposed location is Pa Lien in Wheaton, IL. Their menu offers the broadest sampling of Burmese cuisine in the Midwest to date. They offer weekend-only and Sunday-only offerings.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #17 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am
    Post #17 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am Post #17 - April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am
    lougord99 wrote:I had to spend much of the weekend preparing things for work next week. I'm still not done. Couldn't face going out tonight. We did Lou ( Malnati) to go for dinner. Hope you guys had a great time.


    Work, boooo.
    We did have a good time but we missed you. Hopefully you can come in May!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    Read "Cooking for One" at Literary Orphans via my author page.

    Late-Nite Eats Database

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more