LTH Home

Evanston Lunch Group™ @ Z Breakfast Club Wed. 2/14, 12:30pm

Evanston Lunch Group™ @ Z Breakfast Club Wed. 2/14, 12:30pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Evanston Lunch Group™ @ Z Breakfast Club Wed. 2/14, 12:30pm

Post #1 - January 31st, 2018, 2:29 am
    Post #1 - January 31st, 2018, 2:29 am Post #1 - January 31st, 2018, 2:29 am
    Having a surprisingly good meal at Ovo Frito in January, the group will be trying out another relatively new breakfast-lunch-brunch place for Valentine's Day.

Z Breakfast Club was formerly known as Creperie Saint Germain, a restaurant developed and owned by Pascal Berthoumieux, who was also the driving force behind the late Bistro Bordeaux (which we loved), and the current, high-end pastry and coffee shop Patisserie Coralie on Davis St, with a second location (and production kitchen) coming soon on Howard Street. With the birth of their second child, he and his wife decided they wanted to spend evenings at home with family rather than running restaurants, so he closed Bistro Bordeaux and converted Creperie Saint Germain into Z Breakfast Club, keeping the French influence, much of the creperie menu, as well as other classic French dishes.

Here's a menu.

So, how will a French breakfast-lunch spot compare with last month's All-American breakfast-lunch spot? You'll have to join us to find out.

Z Breakfast Club
    1512 Sherman Ave
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 859-2647

Wed. 2/14, 12:30pm
  • Post #2 - February 1st, 2018, 5:02 am
    Post #2 - February 1st, 2018, 5:02 am Post #2 - February 1st, 2018, 5:02 am
    I'm in.
  • Post #3 - February 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm
    Post #3 - February 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm Post #3 - February 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm
    The couple goes to lunch together on Valentine's Day. How sweet. :)

I'm in.
  • Post #4 - February 2nd, 2018, 11:03 pm
    Post #4 - February 2nd, 2018, 11:03 pm Post #4 - February 2nd, 2018, 11:03 pm
    Yes, I’ll be there.
  • Post #5 - February 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm
    Post #5 - February 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm Post #5 - February 3rd, 2018, 4:09 pm
    I am afraid we can't make it. There is a talk I have to attend at lunch that day.
    Robert
  • Post #6 - February 4th, 2018, 2:49 pm
    Post #6 - February 4th, 2018, 2:49 pm Post #6 - February 4th, 2018, 2:49 pm
    chapulin wrote:I am afraid we can't make it. There is a talk I have to attend at lunch that day.
    Robert

Quel dommage! Seems like the perfect kind of place for both of you. ;)
  • Post #7 - February 14th, 2018, 9:52 am
    Post #7 - February 14th, 2018, 9:52 am Post #7 - February 14th, 2018, 9:52 am
    It's a small group for lunch. Tom and I will try to get there a little bit early to get a table. See you soon.
  • Post #8 - February 14th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    Post #8 - February 14th, 2018, 10:53 pm Post #8 - February 14th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    A good lunch today at Z Breakfast Club … good primarily because the company was so delightful.

Things seemed a little out of whack. The room was packed … some having to be turned away … and the single server manning the room was clearly overworked, although he did a great job under the circumstances.

And he shared with us the big news — Pascal Berthoumieux had just sold the restaurant to the owners of Jilly’s Bistro, a little further north in Evanston, on Green Bay Road just north of Central Street. Jilly’s will turn it into a 3-meal-a-day restaurant, making other changes, probably with a new name. As such, a few menu items weren’t available, since the new owners wanted to stock the refrigerators and shelves in the kitchen somewhat differently, so they were letting current stocks of some things run out.

Still, I think the — relatively few — issues with the food were more related to the transition in ownership, and not to the underlying French philosophies and competencies of either owner. Although it’s been a few years,the Evanston Lunch Group™ has had a very successful visit to Jilly’s several years ago (although possibly under another different ownership).

With minimal comment, as things may change in the near future, here’s what we had:
    Forestiere.jpg Forestiere Crepe — roasted Amish chicken, sautéed onions, baby spinach, mixed mushrooms, classic Mornay sauce, fried egg; with French Fries

Bourguignon.jpg Bourguign Crepe —beef chuck braised in red burgundy wine, pearl onions, carrots, mushrooms, bacon lardons, fried egg

Some thought it was a bit salty, otherwise fine

Salad+Quiche.jpg Daily Special — Quiche with spinach, mushroom & cheddar; with salad

Was a rather heavy quiche; crust could have been crisper

SalmonOmelet.jpg Smoked Salmon Omelet — two soft poached eggs, Scottish smoked salmon, red onion relish, tomato, hollandaise sauce; Z breakfast potatoes

And for dessert:
    FruitsDesBois.jpg Fruits des Bois crepe — creme patissiere, mixed berry coulis, almonds, chantilly

Seemed to be all whipped cream with minimal crepes and light on the berry coulis

Overall, the food was fine, but nothing to go out of your way for. Previous visits had been significantly better. I'm hoping that the new management, once it gets established, will return this joint to its previous excellence.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more