LTH Home

Small HH Food Exchange @ Qing Xiang, Tue Apr 25, 7 pm

Small HH Food Exchange @ Qing Xiang, Tue Apr 25, 7 pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Small HH Food Exchange @ Qing Xiang, Tue Apr 25, 7 pm

Post #1 - April 4th, 2017, 12:41 am
    Post #1 - April 4th, 2017, 12:41 am Post #1 - April 4th, 2017, 12:41 am
    Last month, at White Fence Farm, we all chowed down on exceptional fried chicken, and a few of us exchanged servings of dishes like Mushroom Pilaf, Israeli Lamb Shank, Beef Stew, and Cured Steak.

This month, we’ll balance out all that meat with Chinese dumplings from Qing Xiang Yuan Dumpling. It’s gotten mostly great reviews on LTH. Look here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42842

What is the Small Household Food Exchange, you may ask.

Most importantly, it’s a gathering of like-minded folks at an interesting restaurant for a meal, taking advantage of the ordering power of a good number of people to share and sample a good number of menu items.

You don’t need to bring something to exchange – you can just enjoy the dinner, the ordering power, and the camaraderie.

The Small Household Food Exchange started so that those of us in 1-2 person households who love to cook aren't stuck eating that big pot of chili for a whole week. Instead, we make 4-10 servings of one dish, and bring home 4-10 different dishes.

Exchanging participants bring one pre-portioned serving of their food for every exchanger who has RSVP’d to come that month. A serving is whatever you think it is for your food item. For soup, it may be two cups; for pastrami, 4 oz. (or more if you make more generous sandwiches). The priority will be for entrees, meats, soups, salad, stews, pastas, grains, etc. One dessert is OK each month, but we don't want 6-7 dessert offerings – everyone is mostly interested in main meals. (Check the Events Board; there’s a separate Dessert Exchange.)

The fine print
    Number in the group: We will cap attendance at each gathering at 12 and food exchange participants at 10, so that participants are never making more than 10 servings of anything. Couples can be counted as one serving, or two – if you come as a couple, please specify whether you're bringing one or two dishes to exchange.

There will be no restrictions on the food – we’re an omnivorous bunch. IF ANYONE HAS ANY ALLERGIES, PLEASE LET THE GROUP KNOW.

The containers/delivery system: Everyone in the group should use the GLADWARE 3 1/8 CUP PLASTIC CONTAINERS (7” x 7” square container with a blue lid). You’ll portion your food into those containers to bring and hand out at the gathering. You can freeze them or not depending on your schedule and when you make your food. There is no need to fill the container, just put in whatever is a serving to you. If you use something else to deliver your food that month (Ziploc bags, plastic wrap, etc.) you should also return the empty containers from the last round so that everyone always has a stash of these containers for the exchange and doesn’t have to run out and buy more. Please label your container (a small piece of paper taped to the container is fine). That way, we’re not all digging through our freezer, looking at blue containers and wondering what’s inside.

The process
    Each of us will take turns being the organizer each month. Each time we meet, someone will offer to organize the next month’s gathering. Several weeks before the next gathering the organizer will post a new thread to the events page announcing the date and the location for that month and asking for RSVP’s.

Participants will need to RSVP their attendance by one week before the monthly gathering. Please specify whether you’re coming for the dinner, the exchange, or (hopefully) both. They will then need to post what they are bringing at least three days before the gathering. This is to help make sure we get some balance in the food so that we’re not all bringing something that has to be eaten in the next 2-3 days; that there’s a balance of stuff that can be frozen for later, or eaten sooner.

The organizer will monitor the thread to see what people are bringing. The organizer will also make reservations for the group at the restaurant where we will be gathering. People can choose to stay for dinner or just come and exchange food and leave. Just let the organizer know so they can get an accurate count for the reservation. As previously mentioned, other LTHers and their guests are welcome to join us for dinner, even if they are not bringing food to exchange.

Hope to see you there!

Tuesday, April 25 @ 7 pm

Qing Xiang Yuan Dumpling
    2002 S Wentworth Ave
    Chicago, Il 60616
    312-799-1118

Dinner:
    nr706
    moetchandon
    cookie monster
    Pie Lady
    Cathy2
    Food Nut
    GAF
    Helen

Exchange: (three exchanges needed)
    nr706 — Stuffed Calamari Steaks
    moetchandon — Leek/Mushroom Chicken
    Cathy2 — Bo Ssam, Korean pulled pork
    Food Nut — cold noodle bowl with fresh veg/tofu
    Last edited by nr706 on April 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
  • Post #2 - April 4th, 2017, 6:04 am
    Post #2 - April 4th, 2017, 6:04 am Post #2 - April 4th, 2017, 6:04 am
    Unfortunately, I will be in North Carolina
  • Post #3 - April 4th, 2017, 8:04 am
    Post #3 - April 4th, 2017, 8:04 am Post #3 - April 4th, 2017, 8:04 am
    I would like to attend.
    Cookie Monster
  • Post #4 - April 4th, 2017, 2:14 pm
    Post #4 - April 4th, 2017, 2:14 pm Post #4 - April 4th, 2017, 2:14 pm
    Why that's right next door! Slap me down, Charlie. Both camps.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #5 - April 5th, 2017, 8:28 am
    Post #5 - April 5th, 2017, 8:28 am Post #5 - April 5th, 2017, 8:28 am
    lougord99 wrote:Unfortunately, I will be in North Carolina

If your wife wants to attend, I can pick her up.

I plan to be there for everything!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - April 5th, 2017, 8:11 pm
    Post #6 - April 5th, 2017, 8:11 pm Post #6 - April 5th, 2017, 8:11 pm
    One for dinner and exchange
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #7 - April 9th, 2017, 1:55 pm
    Post #7 - April 9th, 2017, 1:55 pm Post #7 - April 9th, 2017, 1:55 pm
    Count me in for dinner (not exchange).
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #8 - April 9th, 2017, 1:57 pm
    Post #8 - April 9th, 2017, 1:57 pm Post #8 - April 9th, 2017, 1:57 pm
    GAF wrote:Count me in for dinner (not exchange).

Great! See you there.
  • Post #9 - April 20th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    Post #9 - April 20th, 2017, 5:01 pm Post #9 - April 20th, 2017, 5:01 pm
    Hi,

I am leaning toward making Bo Ssam, which is Korean pulled pork. I will supply rice and dipping sauce, but not the lettuce. I hope you may have some at home.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #10 - April 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm
    Post #10 - April 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm Post #10 - April 21st, 2017, 3:49 pm
    So sorry, guys, I've overextended myself again and have no time this weekend to cook. I'll still be there for dinner, and by gum, I'll be back on the chuck wagon next time.

See you Tuesday!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #11 - April 24th, 2017, 11:30 am
    Post #11 - April 24th, 2017, 11:30 am Post #11 - April 24th, 2017, 11:30 am
    I made Leek/Mushroom Chicken. See everyone tomorrow.
  • Post #12 - April 24th, 2017, 2:10 pm
    Post #12 - April 24th, 2017, 2:10 pm Post #12 - April 24th, 2017, 2:10 pm
    HI,

My friend Helen will join us for dinner tomorrow. It is so easy to tempt someone with the siren call of Chinese dumplings!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - April 24th, 2017, 6:33 pm
    Post #13 - April 24th, 2017, 6:33 pm Post #13 - April 24th, 2017, 6:33 pm
    I'm doing a cold noodle bowl with fresh veg/tofu. Will need to be eaten quick.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #14 - April 25th, 2017, 11:24 am
    Post #14 - April 25th, 2017, 11:24 am Post #14 - April 25th, 2017, 11:24 am
    Reservation is made for 8 of us — earliest time I could get was 7:15, but I notified them that some may show up at 7. See you tonight!
  • Post #15 - April 28th, 2017, 4:08 pm
    Post #15 - April 28th, 2017, 4:08 pm Post #15 - April 28th, 2017, 4:08 pm
    Sorry to have missed. The next one is tight, but I am trying to arrange.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more