Chefs

Posted February 10th 2011, 1:07pm
Shake the hawk off with winter stalwart Bigos. An off menu item, Helena will make if for us if we have enough people to warrant it. Do we?

Take advantage of our gems while we can. RIP Andy's.

"In pursuit of joys untasted"
from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata

Lead Moderator
Posted February 10th 2011, 1:12pm
I'm in, thanks.

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban

Posted February 10th 2011, 1:24pm
Still haven't made it to Podhalanka. Sounds great. I'm in, hopefully + REB.

Thanks for setting this up.
--Rich
Edit: Just me. Ronna can't make it.
Last edited by RAB on February 10th 2011, 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
Posted February 10th 2011, 3:45pm
Count me in!

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Posted February 10th 2011, 5:39pm
I'm a Podhalanka virgin, I always go to Smak-Tak. Time to expand my horizons, count me in.

For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
Posted February 10th 2011, 6:18pm
Damn it! I have another commitment, but I'll let you know if I can reschedule.

“Nothing is more agreeable to look at than a gourmande in full battle dress.”
Jean-Antheleme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)
Posted February 11th 2011, 12:11pm
Count me and the Jman in.
Posted February 13th 2011, 1:11pm
Mr. and Mrs. Beverator would like to join you. Last time I had bigos was at Legs Inn in Cross Village, MI. Outstanding!
Posted February 13th 2011, 5:20pm
Please count me in, plus one guest.

Posted February 14th 2011, 9:28pm
I'm interested in joining you all for Bigos at Podhalanka, please count me in.

Thanks,
edc

Posted February 19th 2011, 11:38am
Unfortunately I'm out, I'll just have to take myself over another night and fill up.

For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
Posted February 19th 2011, 6:27pm
So sorry, I can't make it after all.

“Nothing is more agreeable to look at than a gourmande in full battle dress.”
Jean-Antheleme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)
Posted February 19th 2011, 8:57pm
Sorry I haven't acknowledged anyone but was out of town. Spoke w/Helena regarding the rest of our menu which will consist of:
asst cold salads, asst pierogies, potato pancakes, white borscht, kompot and bigos

attending:
Ronnie Suburban
RAB
boudreaulicious
nicinchic
Jman
beverator +1
gastronome +1
edc

Would like to give her a final number Monday. BYOB

"In pursuit of joys untasted"
from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
Posted February 22nd 2011, 7:48pm
The Wall Street Journal put out a timely feature on bigos over the weekend. It's an interesting read for folks who are interested in some of this history of what we're eating tomorrow (also suggests some alcohol to pair).
Posted February 22nd 2011, 7:56pm
After seeing that article, I'm even sadder to say that I won't be able to attend tomorrow night's feast because I have the 1st and 2nd of this week's 3 visitation/memorial services to attend tomorrow. Ugh.

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Lead Moderator
Posted February 23rd 2011, 1:28am
gastro gnome wrote:The Wall Street Journal put out a timely feature on bigos over the weekend. It's an interesting read for folks who are interested in some of this history of what we're eating tomorrow (also suggests some alcohol to pair).

Thanks, for the link, gg. Very much looking forward to bigos on Wednesday night. :)

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Posted February 23rd 2011, 5:34pm
I am completely bummed. Hubby stuck downstate working so we are going to have to cancel. Enjoy!

Lead Moderator
Posted February 25th 2011, 12:42pm
Thanks, Alan, for setting this up. It was a really nice evening. The bigos was excellent, as were several of the other items we had . . .

Podhalanka - 1549 W Division St, Chicago
I actually took this shot on the way out but it makes the most sense to place it here.

Bread
Waiting on the table when we sat down.

Cold Beet & Horseradish Salad
Really excellent. I loved the way the heat from the horseradish balanced the sweetness of the beets.

Compote
We were told what was in this beverage but I forgot. As someone at the table pointed out, it was jamaica-like. I know there were frozen blueberries but I can't remember the other ingredients.

Bigos-ians

Soup
A rich and hearty soup, thickened with yogurt and/or sour cream (I'm guessing). It had strong flavors of dill and smoke, from the kielbasa. Completely wonderful.

Potato Pancakes
These had awesome flavor and reminded me of my grandma's version more than any other version I can remember. They weren't really crispy but when making them in this volume, that's completely understandable. They were terrific, nonetheless.

The final pancake

Assorted Pierogis
I had one and it was meat-filled but I think there were a few other fillings, too. This was probably my least favorite part of the meal. They were a bit gummy.

Smashed up Potatoes
In preparation for the bigos, bowls of potatoes were brought to the table.

The Main Event
A picture's worth (at least) 1,000 words. :D

Bigos
An intoxicating medley of sauerkraut, cabbage, beef, pork, bacons, carrots and who knows what else. I ate 3 servings and I don't think I was the only one. :wink:

=R=

Posted February 25th 2011, 7:09pm
ronnie_suburban wrote:Image
Soup
A rich and hearty soup, thickened with yogurt and/or sour cream (I'm guessing). It had strong flavors of dill and smoke, from the kielbasa. Completely wonderful.

Actually, Ronnie, it is made with a starter. I first learned this by reading Binko's thread but jazzfood reminded me about it on Wednesday.

And you're right. This soup was fantastic. I might have to make some before winter ends.
Home Cookin'

Online Information